Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 29806 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #225
With all due respect to Rhys Palmer, he was part of the Marchbank "deal".....to get Marchbank for the pick we gave up, we also had to take Palmer of GWS' hands and his contract for one year. But agree, most of the mature players we've got through in recent years haven't been up to it. I like Newman as he offers a bit and hopefully McGovern has more of an influence in games.

The problem is we're anchored to the bottom of the ladder (AGAIN) and it's gonna be very hard to tempt decent players from other clubs. And players using Free Agency to move clubs aren't going to want to go to a team that's at the bottom of the ladder, especially if they want to taste some success and not just take the $$$. It's why in the last few years we've courted blokes like Rockliff, Devon Smith, Dylan Shiel etc and haven't been able to tempt any of them.

If we can identify exactly what we need, then we can give up a very good young player and our first round pick next year to a club that has something we need.

Reply #227
Capcom, the plan is simple, in 2015 the club admitted it stuffed things up in 2011.
That is the plan, now tell me the alternative that doesn't start and end with sacking everone.

I'm not wide awake in dreamland.  Time is up.  25 years without a flag might be acceptable to some.  It is not to me ... or the inevitable dwindling membership placing their faith in a losing cause.

Reply #228
I'm not wide awake in dreamland.  Time is up.  25 years without a flag might be acceptable to some.  It is not to me ... or the inevitable dwindling membership placing their faith in a losing cause.

I’m more worried about losing Cripps and Walsh than members

Reply #229
Me too. Membership is actually going up, but won't continue to go up next year unless something changes big time

Reply #230
Rumour has it that the Adelaide Football Club is about to strike a Memorial Plaque in honour of the significant gift they're soon to receive from the Carlton Football Club - the number 1 draft pick in the 2019 draft.

As if giving them Eddie wasn't enough. Does our generosity know no bounds?

;) >:D

Worse to come - rumour is Grundy to Adelaide for our pick 1 to COLLINGWOOD. Can’t get any worse

Reply #231
Marchbank is like Weitering last year, totally confused at to his role. Another failure of coaching.

Levi's surprised me down back. Never thought it was in him bit he has been very good. Interesting to see what happens when Jones come back. Can't play them all.

As I wrote in March, Casboult to CHB and Jones to the wing, ala Matty Richardson - he’s mobile enough and he can be the big body to support Cripps at the stoppages, it’s all so obvious, it’s sickening.

Reply #232
As I wrote in March, Casboult to CHB and Jones to the wing, ala Matty Richardson - he’s mobile enough and he can be the big body to support Cripps at the stoppages, it’s all so obvious, it’s sickening.

Casboult is not mobile enough to play CHB against 90% of the opposition.

Reply #233
Worse to come - rumour is Grundy to Adelaide for our pick 1 to COLLINGWOOD. Can’t get any worse

Collingwood will move the earth to retain Grundy...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #234
Isn't that just a guess though?
Who knows how these kids are going to develop?
Dylan Buckley and Troy Menzel were rising star nominations.....gone from the list now.
Is there strong evidence that our development is any better, you could have mounted an argument for that a few weeks back....but it's looking a bit shaky now.
Some will surely improve with games...others will never make it.

Not really.

I've seen enough in the half games where we have put it all together to suggest that the main reasons we aren't is simply because they aren't seasoned competitors.

Strength conditioning and polish is all that's required.

It all comes from one simple thing.  Experience.  Which comes from time.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #235
Not really.

I've seen enough in the half games where we have put it all together to suggest that the main reasons we aren't is simply because they aren't seasoned competitors.

Strength conditioning and polish is all that's required.

It all comes from one simple thing.  Experience.  Which comes from time.

Development hasn't been a strong point.
Glimpses aren't enough because our recent past is filled with players who showed glimpses.

I mentioned in another thread that time isn't our friend.
There comes a point where time runs out.
We can demand they're given more.. but the decision isn't ours.
There are much stronger influences at play than CSC.

There have been times when it's clicked but they need to be more consistent, and they need to result in wins.
That's the only way to buy some more time

Reply #236
Development hasn't been a strong point.
Glimpses aren't enough because our recent past is filled with players who showed glimpses.

I mentioned in another thread that time isn't our friend.
There comes a point where time runs out.
We can demand they're given more.. but the decision isn't ours.
There are much stronger influences at play than CSC.

There have been times when it's clicked but they need to be more consistent, and they need to result in wins.
That's the only way to buy some more time

I'm not talking glimpses lods.

I'm talking about stuff like the first half vs Hawthorn.   Harry taking contested Mark's and scoring goals (when we remember to kick to him).  Paddy Dow showing a great ability to burst through a pack (gone missing this year).

Previously it was looking for small things and grasping at straws.

Its different now.  There is substance there.  Previously players didn't work out for various reasons.   One of was simply the coaching issues at our club at the time.  Imagine walking into a fractured footy club where half the players weren't really playing for the coach (malthouse) and had allegiances to the previous coach (ratten) and you tied yourself to malthouse only for the club to declare rebuild and season over in round 2.

Menzel left at the end of that season.   I dont blame him.  Our club behaved poorly.  
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #237
Casboult is not mobile enough to play CHB against 90% of the opposition.

I was firmly of the opinion that Levi simply couldn't play as a key defender but he has taken the points against 18% of the opposition so far.

Marchbank, Plowman and Weitering are versatile enough to take a taller or smaller opponent and I'd like to see both Casboult and Jones in that defensive mix.  Both can hold down other positions and I'd love to see JD's suggestion of Jones on a wing bear fruit.  I suspect that our coaching group isn't that adventurous.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #238
I'm not talking glimpses lods.

I'm talking about stuff like the first half vs Hawthorn.   Harry taking contested Mark's and scoring goals (when we remember to kick to him).  Paddy Dow showing a great ability to burst through a pack (gone missing this year).

Previously it was looking for small things and grasping at straws.

Its different now.  There is substance there.  Previously players didn't work out for various reasons.   One of was simply the coaching issues at our club at the time.  Imagine walking into a fractured footy club where half the players weren't really playing for the coach (malthouse) and had allegiances to the previous coach (ratten) and you tied yourself to malthouse only for the club to declare rebuild and season over in round 2.

Menzel left at the end of that season.   I dont blame him.  Our club behaved poorly.

I think we're seeing different things...and there's probably nothing too wrong with that.

I acknowledge the good bits you're seeing but I'll counter with some of the concerns.

The over-reliance on Cripps. He now seems to be playing angry, no doubt frustrated by the attention that's coming his way.
The inability to sustain effort once serious pressure is applied.
The need for crisis meetings by players.
The lack of depth and the aging of our senior players Kreuzer, Murphy, Simpson, Thomas all have their best football behind them but are still some of the first picked each week.
Recruiting that has been quite good in the top part of the draft but not so great in later rounds... and trades that end up giving us a strange mix of average and/or injury prone players.
The apparent lack of co-ordination that exists between our group assistant coaches-mids- forwards in particular.

Yes a lot of these will improve over time.
But to save some of our people that improvement needs to happen sooner rather than later

Reply #239
I was firmly of the opinion that Levi simply couldn't play as a key defender but he has taken the points against 18% of the opposition so far.

Marchbank, Plowman and Weitering are versatile enough to take a taller or smaller opponent and I'd like to see both Casboult and Jones in that defensive mix.  Both can hold down other positions and I'd love to see JD's suggestion of Jones on a wing bear fruit.  I suspect that our coaching group isn't that adventurous.

He probably hasn't received the credit he's deserved for yesterday...other things have occupied our minds but...

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-05-27/blues-duo-features-in-aflca-votes

The captain was joined by a resurgent Levi Casboult among the votes against the Saints.
Stationed in his new role in defence for the third consecutive game, Casboult received two votes for his strong performance down back.
Recording the second-most one percenters out of anyone on the weekend, seven of Casboult’s 12 disposals were intercept possessions.