Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 29991 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #165
Just a further comment on that players meeting.

As I said previously, aside from Cripps Simmo and Ed C the rest either lack foot and hand skills, decision making ability, or like Charlie C move in and out of the game, or totally lack the ability to stick a tackle. Walsh will be a star and hopefully will keep playing for our club. Fisher is a waste of space who always, if he gets the ball wants to hand it off and won’t kick. None of them will take responsibility for having a shot at goal even if they are 25 metres out.

Do you had this what are effectively aside from a few, a rabble, yelling at each other and telling a few home truths.

Well, we all saw the result. No improvement.

For those who say we were in the game, let’s be intellectually honest.

How much do you think Geelong would have slaughtered us by if we had played them yesterday performing the same way we did against the Saints.

I defy any player including the captain to provide me with a simple two minute video which clearly and concisely explains precisely what game plan they are supposed to be implementing.

I am prepared to forgive a lot. I went through this sort of drought during the 1950’s and 60’s until Barrasi took us to the top.

So I have been there before.

We have The nucleus of a decent side. Give them a game plan they can follow, hone their skills, and for God’s sake teach them how to
tackle, and above all provide them with a coach who has at least a proven track record, Scott took the kangas to two preliminary finals with a good ordinary team as jack dyer would have called them, and we might actually progress.

Reply #166
We still hear the same old claptrap on this forum, sack the coach, sack the players, sack the President, sack the Board sack the staff, sack the assistant coaches, every deal is a dud, nobody is any good, the world is woeful, everyone is against us, they should have listened to me. What is the alternative.
We have the fundamentals of a very good list, the club is an very good shape off the field, and they have a plan that they are sticking to.
Tell me the alternative, who, what, when, where, how and why. Give me the details.

Reply #167
Beat me to it Big Nic. I've been a supporter since 1981 and a member for 25 years but I've just about had enough of this crap getting served up week after week. No disrespect to St Kilda but they're ordinary and yet they made us look stupid at times. Too often they ran it from one end to the other with good disposal and picked off unmarked men in their forward line at will....if they'd kick straight we wouldn't have been anywhere near them. They were missing arguably their best defenders in Carlisle, Roberton and Geary and yet with three key forwards we couldn't hit a target if we tried. Charlie worked hard up the ground and probably his best game for the season but if we're plugging holes in the middle by using him up the ground it defeats the purpose.

You can sugar coat it all you like but we're bottom of the ladder (again), destined for the wooden spoon (again) and this year we won't even have the number 1 pick to look forward to. You're kidding yourself if you think we've progressed in the last 3 years. Our skills are absolutely deplorable and turnovers kill us week after week. If you're brutally honest, there's probably 3 blokes on our list at the moment (excluding Docherty who's out again) that would get a game at another club right now....Cripps, Walsh, McKay.

How many times this year has Dow butchered a shot at goal at key moments in games? I'm sick of hearing about "elite runner", "great endurance" and "breakaway speed" when they talk about draftees. If you can't do the most basic thing in the game, kick the footy, then you can have all the running ability in the world and you'll be good at chasing an opponent and not much else. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll look back in 3 or 4 years on the 2017 draft as another one that we slaughtered.

I was taken with Bolton initially and his youthful enthusiasm and honesty but we've stalled, our young players are not coming on (Walsh excluded) and for the life of me I can't work out our game plan. In defence we're like Richmond of about 6 or 7 years ago where opponents just waited for the poor skills and decision making to eventually show through and they'd turn it over trying to kick short, backwards and sideways. If Thomas and Simpson are all we've got to keep a cool head down back then we're in strife. Newman showed some fight yesterday but even he turned it over numerous times.

Agree with EB's earlier comment about Kreuzer. He's been a warrior for us but he looked tired and cumbersome yesterday against a smaller/inexperienced opponent. Like many, for weeks I was calling for Kennedy to be in there to help Cripps but he showed us exactly why he hasn't been in there....slow and ineffective. Take Cripps and Walsh out of that midfield and at the moment we've got nothing. SPS/Fisher/Dow etc just don't do anywhere near enough. Yes they're young, but so is Walsh...so is Cripps.

This mid-season draft is a free hit of sorts but we're gonna blow another chance with Deluca. There's a reason he only played 4 games in 3 years with Fremantle.....slow and not big enough.

I'm not sure how many more weeks Bolton has got left but another bad loss this week and we need to be put out of our misery.

Reply #168
We still hear the same old claptrap on this forum, sack the coach, sack the players, sack the President, sack the Board sack the staff, sack the assistant coaches, every deal is a dud, nobody is any good, the world is woeful, everyone is against us, they should have listened to me. What is the alternative.
We have the fundamentals of a very good list, the club is an very good shape off the field, and they have a plan that they are sticking to.
Tell me the alternative, who, what, when, where, how and why. Give me the details.
This.

Beat me to it Big Nic. I've been a supporter since 1981 and a member for 25 years but I've just about had enough of this crap getting served up week after week. No disrespect to St Kilda but they're ordinary and yet they made us look stupid at times. Too often they ran it from one end to the other with good disposal and picked off unmarked men in their forward line at will....if they'd kick straight we wouldn't have been anywhere near them. They were missing arguably their best defenders in Carlisle, Roberton and Geary and yet with three key forwards we couldn't hit a target if we tried. Charlie worked hard up the ground and probably his best game for the season but if we're plugging holes in the middle by using him up the ground it defeats the purpose.

You can sugar coat it all you like but we're bottom of the ladder (again), destined for the wooden spoon (again) and this year we won't even have the number 1 pick to look forward to. You're kidding yourself if you think we've progressed in the last 3 years. Our skills are absolutely deplorable and turnovers kill us week after week. If you're brutally honest, there's probably 3 blokes on our list at the moment (excluding Docherty who's out again) that would get a game at another club right now....Cripps, Walsh, McKay.

How many times this year has Dow butchered a shot at goal at key moments in games? I'm sick of hearing about "elite runner", "great endurance" and "breakaway speed" when they talk about draftees. If you can't do the most basic thing in the game, kick the footy, then you can have all the running ability in the world and you'll be good at chasing an opponent and not much else. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll look back in 3 or 4 years on the 2017 draft as another one that we slaughtered.

I was taken with Bolton initially and his youthful enthusiasm and honesty but we've stalled, our young players are not coming on (Walsh excluded) and for the life of me I can't work out our game plan. In defence we're like Richmond of about 6 or 7 years ago where opponents just waited for the poor skills and decision making to eventually show through and they'd turn it over trying to kick short, backwards and sideways. If Thomas and Simpson are all we've got to keep a cool head down back then we're in strife. Newman showed some fight yesterday but even he turned it over numerous times.

Agree with EB's earlier comment about Kreuzer. He's been a warrior for us but he looked tired and cumbersome yesterday against a smaller/inexperienced opponent. Like many, for weeks I was calling for Kennedy to be in there to help Cripps but he showed us exactly why he hasn't been in there....slow and ineffective. Take Cripps and Walsh out of that midfield and at the moment we've got nothing. SPS/Fisher/Dow etc just don't do anywhere near enough. Yes they're young, but so is Walsh...so is Cripps.

This mid-season draft is a free hit of sorts but we're gonna blow another chance with Deluca. There's a reason he only played 4 games in 3 years with Fremantle.....slow and not big enough.

I'm not sure how many more weeks Bolton has got left but another bad loss this week and we need to be put out of our misery.

Forget the games this season. 

It was halfway through the third quarter that the penny dropped for me that yesterdays game was going to be a poor outcome win or loss because simply we played terribly and still almost won.

The missed shots by Dow are all part of a learning curve.  Each time he gets that opportunity he gets the chance to learn from it and fix it.  This time he missed and actually was a better player for the rest of that game.

The reason why we keep stumbling is that the kids are learning.   Too much, too quickly.  Stick with them.  This ride is a bumpy one.  It's two years away from bearing fruit, and next year is going to be a lot more fun.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #169
Everyone is smart in retrospect. We had eleven players who came out of the past four drafts in the team yesterday. This coming off four drafts where we have turned over a third to a quarter of our list. There is a lack of continuity in the team which has to be expected and is on display most weeks. This is the plan the Club laid out and is sticking to. I think they are twelve months behind where they wanted to be and I think they have the ingredients of a very good team but they need time to become a team. I like BB press conferences, I am not sure what people want him to say.  They have a plan. I dont see or hear what the alternative is.
I think we need some hungry half forwards, Pickett is a big loss, and we need pace out of the backline, which explains Garlett being developed for down back, we also need another young ruckman to develop.
It is a five-year plan and people need to do more than say everything is rubbish,  they need to articulate what they think needs to be done, how it would be implemented and how it is a better process than what is happening now.

Exactly right. Where is their 'plan'?

Reply #170
Agreed, more high draft picks aren't going to fix us....

Agreed, and I think Stocker is showing some real class and will surprise a few people over the journey. I like him a lot from what I have seen.

Reply #171

1. Dow should have been back in the 2s weeks ago - he's lost his way....
2. BB - he really does need to explain the game plan...
3. Kreuzer looked shot.
4. Kennedy - went ok early - first game back, he'll be better for the run - miles ahead of LOB and Setterfield presently.
5. SPS and Fisher need rockets, big ones....lots of behind the play jogging is apparent.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #172
Agreed, and I think Stocker is showing some real class and will surprise a few people over the journey. I like him a lot from what I have seen.

Yes, he's got some ticker too - great foot skills. Will be a player.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #173
Agree on Stocker....has a bit of mongrel in him too. Commentators were blasting Newman yesterday for conceding a free kick to Long but I don't mind that.....Long is soft and took a dive and typical of the umpires to pick up on that but not the other obvious free kicks that we didn't get.

Can't over-estimate how much we've missed Jones in recent weeks too. Weitering looked lost at times yesterday and I'm still not sure what role Marchbank plays for us. For mine, Casboult is worth perservering with down back.

Reply #174
::) We need to stop focusing on this as its not that much of an issue in the scheme of things.
Betts wanted to leave for Adelaide - we didn't give him away.  [/quote

That's certainly not my memory of the events.  Yes, he asked for bigger dollars and would have stayed had we agreed.  Stupidly, we didn't

Reply #175
I too would hate any coach naming specific individuals in a post game interview... that's left to internal discussions.

But are we really better?  The ladder position suggests otherwise.

But (and though this was not on Bolton's watch) think of Robinson and Betts still with the club.  We sold ourselves into mediocrity.  Same with Waite despite the fact he's now retired.

This obsession with youth gives us little grounding.  Those clearances for little return or salary cap impact were beyond dumb.

Dropping players and naming them to the media are both levers the coach can pull to set the expectations and hold them accountable. BB probably doesn't do it to protect them as most are young. Which probably feeds into the mentality of the players a little bit that they aren't men yet and therefore the expectations aren't as high as other clubs.

Reply #176
By far the best football we have played this year was against the Dogs and the first half against Hawthorn. The reason? One of thee rare times we have been allowed to just take the game on. Funnily, we were very efficient moving thee ball into the F50, and surprise, surprise, our skills were so much better, as they are when you can kick to players in space rather than having to thread a needle through a million players. Our kids have had the flair knocked out of them and it is wrecking their confidence.

A good coach will look at his list and build a game plan around it. Bolton is not one of those coaches and needs to go. A very poor coach.

Reply #177
Agree on Stocker....has a bit of mongrel in him too. Commentators were blasting Newman yesterday for conceding a free kick to Long but I don't mind that.....Long is soft and took a dive and typical of the umpires to pick up on that but not the other obvious free kicks that we didn't get.

Can't over-estimate how much we've missed Jones in recent weeks too. Weitering looked lost at times yesterday and I'm still not sure what role Marchbank plays for us. For mine, Casboult is worth perservering with down back.

Marchbank is like Weitering last year, totally confused at to his role. Another failure of coaching.

Levi's surprised me down back. Never thought it was in him bit he has been very good. Interesting to see what happens when Jones come back. Can't play them all.

Reply #178
I'm still sticking fat with the coach until the end of 2019.  Our list is still young, lots of new players, with not much continuity together over a number of seasons.

However, we are shizen, and we should be better than we are.  There's enough talent, and there's enough experience that we should be win 5 games minimum this season.  The clock is ticking.

The Stocker trade was a good move if you ask me, even though it's looking like it will now blow up in our faces.  Most decisions are easy to pick apart in retrospect.  Very few of us would have expected 1-9 at this stage.  And anyway - I know you do have to factor in what we will end up giving away, but in a way it is irrelevant.  All that matters is what we get back in return, because that is what we get, it really doesn't matter what the crows get.  We get Stocker and pick 12 (at this stage) for our future first rounder.  There are so many ifs and whatifs, it's almost impossible to predict how this will pan out.  In 2-3 years time Stocker might be one of the best mids in the game, and the crows likely pick1 (yes, it does hurt a little to type that) might be a waste of space who never realises his potential. No risk, no reward.

Reply #179
Yes, same here.
x2
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time