Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE (Read 58005 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE

Reply #180
No question each of us is entitled to an opinion - but some opinions are simply daft....

;) ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #181
Every player has strengths and weaknesses, problem is we always focus on weaknesses. You then weigh up the overall package and see what the overall value is. He's off the rookie list so he's more likely not going to be a perfect footballer.

Let's try looking at Bell's strength's too. That strength and power around the ball is invaluable and well as his ability to intimidate with his strength. That's something we always need.

Reply #182
I think we all know very well about his strengths.  Realistically he needs to improve.  No harm in this, he can make the grade, and if he can lift his average stats a bit in terms of getting and giving the pill as well as lowering his turnover/clanger count that will go a long way to us being a better side, and his standing in the game being higher.

Currently a bloke 3 years in the caper going at an average of about 15 disposals a match, and making 2.5 of those clangers a game isnt exactly setting the world on fire.

Im happy to give him time, even Simmo didnt get a touch for his first 3 games so it has no bearing on where he will end up, but its fair to say that the average punter is getting exasperated by the lack of progress in his ability rather than anything else.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #183
Every player has strengths and weaknesses, problem is we always focus on weaknesses. You then weigh up the overall package and see what the overall value is. He's off the rookie list so he's more likely not going to be a perfect footballer.

Let's try looking at Bell's strength's too. That strength and power around the ball is invaluable and well as his ability to intimidate with his strength. That's something we always need.
You can have all the strength and power around the ball you like, if you then get the agot and hand it over to the other mob more often than not, you become as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #184
Doing something really effective with the ball the majority of the time is one major thing that really marks out a good player IMO. It's a given in my book that every CFC player should be able to get to the ball and win it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #185
No question each of us is entitled to an opinion - but some opinions are simply daft....

;) ;)

And all yours are on the money boy who can fly??? :P ^-^

Opinions aren't necessarily right nor wrong......they're just opinions!!! That's just my opinion......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #186
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and most of them stink! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #187

;) ;)

And all yours are on the money boy who can fly??? :P ^-^

Opinions aren't necessarily right nor wrong......they're just opinions!!! That's just my opinion......

Opinions which agree with mine are right, the others are obviously wrong  ;D

Reply #188
And don't try to confuse me with facts when I've made up my mind!  ^-^
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #189
Even when I'm wrong, I'm right. :P
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #190

You can have all the strength and power around the ball you like, if you then get the agot and hand it over to the other mob more often than not, you become as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Or on the other hand you don't get the aggot then you're going no-where. You're essentially saying he turns it over 100% of the time. We know that's wrong. He'd probably still have disposal efficiency pushing 70%, not that i've ever looked, which may be a little less than some others but first and foremost, to do anything with it you must actually get the ball. Very basic that part. They ball turn it over, just some more than others. You never see 100% disposal efficiency from anyone. Probably struggle to see many go over high 70s. Like I said, it's about weighing up strengths and weaknesses to determine value, not just weaknesses. Prefer Bell at a contest than a more skilful softc0ck.

Reply #191
Doesn't get the ball enough to warrant that I'm afraid.

Average of 15 disposals a game is borderline not good enough.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #192
All those of you who judge Bell - hang your heads in abject shame.

He's 23yo and HAS PLAYED 29 senior games. TWENTY NINE. ONLY.

the SIMPLE RULE IS THAT IT TAKES most players 75 games + to find their feet at the top level.

Seriously, arm chair critics in over drive......

from memory he didn't even play afl as a kid?

It took Bryce Gibbs however many games to find his feet at AFL level, but it was clear from day 1 that he had the tools required to make it. The only question mark over him was if he had the determination.
Ditto Murphy, Yarran...Garlett.

The problem with Bell is, there are too many issues with his overall game. Some of which can be worked on. Others, like simple game awareness can not.
You can teach players to run, kick (kinda) mark and do everything else, but you can't teach a player to use his eyes. To be aware of his surroundings.

For the record, i'm not saying he can't add some value to the team in the right situation, i'm saying that he is certainly far from being Anthony Koutoufides....and borderline best 22 in an average side.

Reply #193

Or on the other hand you don't get the aggot then you're going no-where. You're essentially saying he turns it over 100% of the time. We know that's wrong. He'd probably still have disposal efficiency pushing 70%, not that i've ever looked, which may be a little less than some others but first and foremost, to do anything with it you must actually get the ball. Very basic that part. They ball turn it over, just some more than others. You never see 100% disposal efficiency from anyone. Probably struggle to see many go over high 70s. Like I said, it's about weighing up strengths and weaknesses to determine value, not just weaknesses. Prefer Bell at a contest than a more skilful softc0ck.
Ok I'll give you the stats. Last year, his disposal efficiency was 63.4%, thats ranked 28th at the club. I also looked at his disposals at calculated what % were contested, 41% ranked 11th. So he gets contested ball but doesn't do well with it compared to 31 of his team mates.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #194
Just out of interest, what DE was required to rank in the top ten at the club?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!