Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE (Read 58003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tonight

Reply #150
Amuses me when poeple say: "It's only a pre-season game" when we lose, yet if we win that same game, suddenly the season proper can't come quickly enough..... :D

I learnt long ago not to get too excited either way.

There's no other way to look at them.
Anyone that makes any major judgements either way really doesn't appreciate the 'variables' of pre-season
There are so many factors involved that impact on performance.

Reply #151
Hmm, I am inclined to agree - to a degree.
But it is a concern if the Forward line could not get goals, if there were not avenues to goal!
If one wins Pre-Season I will join your ho-hum chorus, but losing brings some anxiety.

Reply #152
Hmm, I am inclined to agree - to a degree.
But it is a concern if the Forward line could not get goals, if there were not avenues to goal!
If one wins Pre-Season I will join your ho-hum chorus, but losing brings some anxiety.

If our midfield is providing forward moves then our forwards will have more opportunities for goals.
Now with Gibbs, Murphy and Judd in the middle there is immediately an increase in the number of opportunities our forwards will get.
Add a quality forward like Henderson to be on the receiving end and to take the main defender then all of a sudden your Jones, Casboult and Watson receive lesser defenders....add a bit of mid/ small forward spark like Menzel ....then add a Thomas and an Everitt to top it up and that goal problem suddenly isn't as great as it may have appeared on Friday night.

Reply #153
@Lods

Agree. How anyone could adversely judge the performance of our forward division if we didn't field an effective midfield that could deliver quality ball is puzzling. Even if we'd have had Hendo in the team last Fri he would unlikely have made a lot of difference IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #154
I didn't see the game, what was their workrate like? (which isn't necessarily a good indicator at this time of year either but could be what the problem some people have is)

Reply #155
Please change the thread title lol

Re: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE

Reply #157
Fair point  :D

It wasn't the intention of the OP to make this the match thread it just kind of kind of morphed into it.

Just in future whoever makes the first post after a match starts feel free to start a new 'game' thread so we get the distinction....it's useful when looking back on games

Reply #158
I didn't see the game, what was their workrate like? (which isn't necessarily a good indicator at this time of year either but could be what the problem some people have is)

I actually thought our workrate was pretty good, just not enough class to get around WCE' senior players IMO.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #159

I actually thought our workrate was pretty good, just not enough class to get around WCE' senior players IMO.

Got smashed in the centre bounces.

Eagles too strong on the inside.

Reply #160

I agree and that's just due to a lack of experience. Take out an equivalent 11 WC senior players and we probably win. Some people need to relax and accept the pre season for what it is.

Remember 2005 we won the premiership in the pre season? Collected the spoon in season proper.
2007 night premiers and finished 15th.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #161
I think u will find Bell a much better footballer with the likes of Murph ,Gibbs and Judd around him for him to dish off to and be told what to do,than you will with the likes of graham and the other younger group around him,the likes of Judd etc will make the likes of Cripps and co much better footballers with there talk and experience,that's why the likes of the hawks,swans and Geelong can bring young blokes into there side and they immediatly have an impact.The more experienced players know when to go and when to block,and will more often than not be there for a link up player for the likes of Cripps and Bell.If u don't think it would be easier to play along side the likes of Judd,Gibbs ,Murph,Thomas etc than it is alongside young blokes that have never or hardly played at this level u know nothing about footy.Bell will be okay so will Cripps just give them a break they are Carlton.
Like it or not at least it's my opinion.

Reply #162
^^^^^^
Well said. :)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #163
I think u will find Bell a much better footballer with the likes of Murph ,Gibbs and Judd around him for him to dish off to and be told what to do,than you will with the likes of graham and the other younger group around him,the likes of Judd etc will make the likes of Cripps and co much better footballers with there talk and experience,that's why the likes of the hawks,swans and Geelong can bring young blokes into there side and they immediatly have an impact.The more experienced players know when to go and when to block,and will more often than not be there for a link up player for the likes of Cripps and Bell.If u don't think it would be easier to play along side the likes of Judd,Gibbs ,Murph,Thomas etc than it is alongside young blokes that have never or hardly played at this level u know nothing about footy.Bell will be okay so will Cripps just give them a break they are Carlton.

Your opinion makes a lot more sense than those expressed by some other folk.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #164

Good post Slugger.
Good to see somebody actually thinking about the game instead of trying to pick all the faults.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.