Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87463 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #1230
Bangladesh - what a way to kill cricket - you dheads.

Not one of the smartest things they could have done. But it does show how desperate they were for a win. Not sure anyone else would try it, though. But then, I thought that of the mankad.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1231
The Big Show!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1232
Pretty amazing - I was on a zoom call but had a fair bit of attention on cricinfo.  Once they got down to under a run a ball, it was all over, providing that Cummins could hold up his end - seemed to just have to navigate the last ball or two of an over.

If the Aussies actually put a whole game together we might give India a scare.  I think we play SA in the semi - bat first make them chase.  Then India in the final - bowl first and make them defend and we're a small chance.  India are pretty ominous.

Reply #1233
It was a terrific effort in trying conditions, but outside of Rashid Khan I'm not sure the opposition was all that it was cut out to be.

I'd say given the opposition Stokes innings was probably better, but I wouldn't want to live on the difference because what Maxwell's innings lacked in opposition it made up for in trying conditions.

I never got to see it but Viv Richards made a huge ton against England at Old Trafford that is legendary. I saw Viv Richards more than once in the WSC days.

Ian Chappell describes Barry Richards as devastatingly good and talked about a one day innings that he thought was the best he'd ever seen, but I believe it was a practise game or not an official fixture.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1234
If the Aussies actually put a whole game together we might give India a scare.  I think we play SA in the semi - bat first make them chase.  Then India in the final - bowl first and make them defend and we're a small chance.  India are pretty ominous.
Agreed, I thought the bowling and fielding was off yesterday, the heat seemed to get to a few of them or maybe it was the pollution.

I see Mumbai just recorded the worst day of air pollution ever recorded. (In the absence of extraneous causes like severe bush fires and the like, hard to imagine the top Indonesia for burn off pollution!) :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1235
It was a terrific effort in trying conditions, but outside of Rashid Khan I'm not sure the opposition was all that it was cut out to be.

I'd say given the opposition Stokes innings was probably better, but I wouldn't want to live on the difference because what Maxwell's innings lacked in opposition it made up for in trying conditions.

I never got to see it but Viv Richards made a huge ton against England at Old Trafford that is legendary. I saw Viv Richards more than once in the WSC days.

Ian Chappell describes Barry Richards as devastatingly good and talked about a one day innings that he thought was the best he'd ever seen, but I believe it was a practise game or not an official fixture.
Gary Sobers 254 for the World Eleven at the MCG.....some bloke called Bradman reckons it was the best he has seen on Aus soil...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FeMcAuA5GM

Reply #1236
Geez Kohli was that the slowest walk off in history ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #1239
Given the degree of difficulty playing India in India and all that entails, that was a magnificent win.

Good all round effort from the bowlers and outstanding batting from Head and Marnus 👏
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1240
I went to bed after 23 overs of our batting as Head and Marnus didn't look too bothered.

Magnificent fielding and bowling by the Aussies.

India paid the price for a few of things:
 - trying to get a pitch that would suit them more than the Aussies
 - having a very long tail meant that set batsmen still couldn't go after the bowling
 - changing their bowling order - Shami at first change had been more than doing his job, as had Siraj opening.
 - not being under pressure at anytime during the tournament

Reply #1241
I didn't think the Aussies could do it, not on the way we had been playing. But that performance was one for the ages. I've never heard an Indian crowd silent before, and God knows there weren't many Aussies to make a noise.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1242
Imagine having a major cricket ground called the Scott Morrison Ground or the Tony Abbot. We would deserve to be flogged.

Reply #1243
But that performance was one for the ages. I've never heard an Indian crowd silent before, and God knows there weren't many Aussies to make a noise.
On that crowd and it's dread.

It just goes to show you how much impact a crowd can have. You could see that as the crowd silence grew the tension on the likes of Kohli and KL Rahul also grew.

It's why as a supporter base when we role up in numbers we have be loud and support our team unequivocally from the first bounce to the final siren. Get too silent and the team will pick up on the tension, it's a primal empathic/sympathetic response to emotion that the players have little control over.

In the Prelim, when the Bluebagger Army went quiet, it played right into the Lion's hand!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1244
Watched half last night, and half before work this morning. Which was made easy with the kayo FF button. Completed in 1/3 the time.

Aussies went on a team early and got into the exact same position that India was in when we both got 3 down.
Difference between us and them, we kept the scoreboard ticking over. Best part of that was, it shut up the crowd.
The ability for the aussies to find the singles and rotate the strike played them into form which allowed them to hit the boundaries when they were there to be hit.

India i think had 1 boundary in about 30 overs....and were not hitting enough singles.

Intelligent cricket all round from the aussies.
Constant rotations of the bowlers meant India were always on the back foot and not getting comfortable and couldn't rotate the strike like they needed.
Great field placings and awesome effort by the aussies in the field saved us 30 runs on the night....which was a big deal.

Never have i seen such a huge, 1-eyed crowd at any sporting event ever......and to silence them was the hardest thing to do, and we managed to do it....and it won us the game.

When you have 0-2 to start, going 9-0 from there to take the whole thing against the undefeated home crowd favourites is nothing but a fairytale.
This one happened to come true.