Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87860 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #1260
The Age was full of the cricket up to and after the final Thry.

Was thinking had we won the world cup or a title in any sport, generally it would get more attention.

Thought maybe sandpaper gate had something to do with it.  Cricket has had lots of negative press recently and this would be a positive.  Maybe I just block it out.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1261
Was thinking had we won the world cup or a title in any sport, generally it would get more attention.

Thought maybe sandpaper gate had something to do with it.  Cricket has had lots of negative press recently and this would be a positive.  Maybe I just block it out.
Im the opposite Thry, I have no general interest in cricket but when The Ashes are being contested and one day WC is on, I  always watch the Aussies play. I am the same with Rugby League where I only watch the SOO games and Soccer where I only watch the WC (any game), any Socceroos and Matildas games.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1262
test starting on Thursday and the line-up is looking a little used. Lots of guys over 30, and no sign of list development.
As for the Paks, expect anything. They are amazingly difficult to predict.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1263
As for the Paks, expect anything. They are amazingly difficult to predict.
They play erratically in a style that is a dead set result of being borderline homeless, but I suspect given recent weather trends around the country they are in for a world of green top pain!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1264
Pakis and Windies will be slaughtered..if they can make the tests go 4-5 days it will be a miracle.
Test cricket other than that between the big three teams is finished....
Pakis wont even be able to fix games as they are not good enough apart from when they are on their own dust bowls...

Reply #1265
As expected not much interest in this test series vs Pakis with day one attracting 16k only in Perth. The media are saying its backlash for CA sacking local hero Langar as coach but imho its more about the lack of competitive cricket from two sub par teams in Pakistan and the West Indies. Warner making his 160 odd had more to do with the sub standard pie throwers the Paki's have brought out here and the fielding was sub district 4ths standard after coming back from the pub...
You cant bring two dud teams out to Aus and try and construct a summer of cricket around such non competitive opposition....

Reply #1266
The media are saying its backlash for CA sacking local hero Langar as coach but imho its more about the lack of competitive cricket from two sub par teams in Pakistan and the West Indies.
Agreed, the problem is modern media is neither professional or impartial, they all run with hidden agendas.

Let's summarise 16K at the fancy stadium;

- Opposition Pakistan, ordinary squad, as a team they are vagabonds playing 5 good minutes here and there. Net interest 0%.

- Warner, many great batting records, mostly against spuds, might be forgiven but not forgotten. Outside of the NSW Cricket mafia most will be happy to see him gone! Net Interest 0%!

- Mitch Marsh, Langer has painted him as Australia's most hated cricketer, nobody believes that, but possibly the most privileged maybe behind Warner. Public Interest 0%, even in his home state!

- Perth population majority Saffie, they'll get more when QDK roles up to play a game with the Renegades! Interest in Aus v Pak 10%(Background radio noise!)

- Josh Inglis kyboshed by Carey, the shock for me was Inglis getting a game ahead of Carey but maybe there is some WA backlash. Interest 10%

- Starc, Hazelwood, pass lack of interest incalculably low, bring on the wild thing!

- Lyon, media has him retiring which surprised Lyon, if he was retiring interest would be 100%, but he isn't and nobody cares what he does against Pak! It'll be like paying to see Godzilla destroy a Coles cold roast chicken, not even the risk of a burn!

@ElwoodBlues1‍ PS: (Sorry for the late edit.) Last night the missus put on the test cricket for me after dinner, I asked her to change the channel to re-runs of Friends! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1267
Agreed, the problem is modern media is neither professional or impartial, they all run with hidden agendas.

Let's summarise 16K at the fancy stadium;

- Opposition Pakistan, ordinary squad, as a team they are vagabonds playing 5 good minutes here and there. Net interest 0%.

- Warner, many great batting records, mostly against spuds, might be forgiven but not forgotten. Outside of the NSW Cricket mafia most will be happy to see him gone! Net Interest 0%!

- Mitch Marsh, Langer has painted him as Australia's most hated cricketer, nobody believes that, but possibly the most privileged maybe behind Warner. Public Interest 0%, even in his home state!

- Perth population majority Saffie, they'll get more when QDK roles up to play a game with the Renegades! Interest in Aus v Pak 10%(Background radio noise!)

- Josh Inglis kyboshed by Carey, the shock for me was Inglis getting a game ahead of Carey but maybe there is some WA backlash. Interest 10%

- Starc, Hazelwood, pass lack of interest incalculably low, bring on the wild thing!

- Lyon, media has him retiring which surprised Lyon, if he was retiring interest would be 100%, but he isn't and nobody cares what he does against Pak! It'll be like paying to see Godzilla destroy a Coles cold roast chicken, not even the risk of a burn!

@ElwoodBlues1‍ PS: (Sorry for the late edit.) Last night the missus put on the test cricket for me after dinner, I asked her to change the channel to re-runs of Friends! :o
I couldnt watch it.....the Pakis are such a dodgy team you dont know whether they are on the take or just hopeless.
In Aus its an honour to be captain of your country, in Pakistan its a cross to carry until they put you out of your misery.

Reply #1268
I couldnt watch it.....
I don't blame you, how many drops in those mighty innings, can you imagine if opposition dropped Bob Simpson so often, he might still be batting?

Seriously, and I do mean seriously not joking or taking the piss, I reckon they could tie my good arm behind my back, and lash at least 3 of my arthritic fingers together on the free hand, and I'd still be a better chance of taking some catches than the Pakistan squad! Actually I am taking the piss, out of Pakistan, but the truth hurts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1269
I think the crowd sizes are pretty good.
 - workers are flat out leading up to Christmas and the holidays - couldn't imagine taking a day off to watch cricket during a work day atm
 - not all schools are out
 -Getting sorted for Christmas is a higher priority.

Reply #1270
Tired of excuses for Starc....if you can't bowl at a test standard consistently, then time to try somebody else.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1271
Tired of excuses for Starc....if you can't bowl at a test standard consistently, then time to try somebody else.
He plays for the right State, the players now have the easy push over coaching staff they wanted and all his mates are in the same team.Its a closed shop, no outsiders allowed in, you can make a squillion runs in shield cricket or take wickets every game but it doesnt matter...see Neser, see Bancroft . You would have thought this was the test to play the hometown kid Morris on the track he knows and in front of his family and fans vs average opposition who would have been hating facing 150km deliveries with the bounce and lift in that track.
Khawaja can disappear too if he wants to bring politics into cricket, its not a podium for his political views, its a place you go to enjoy a game of cricket away from all that stuff and where everyone gets along and is there for the same reason and thats to enjoy the game.

Reply #1272
Typical Warner. Hundred or bust.  How you going to talk out of this one Candice?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1273
Khawaja can disappear too if he wants to bring politics into cricket, its not a podium for his political views, its a place you go to enjoy a game of cricket away from all that stuff and where everyone gets along and is there for the same reason and thats to enjoy the game.
Whilst I agree, I have to ask why they allowed the players to take a knee in support of Black Lives Matter, it seems inconsistent to me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1274
Whilst I agree, I have to ask why they allowed the players to take a knee in support of Black Lives Matter, it seems inconsistent to me.
Fair point , I don't want any political messages, banners, speeches, knees etc at cricket games and I don't want that stuff in my country outside Parliament house or clogging my main streets or have to read or see it on players boots, bats, hats whatever.
Cricket has always transcended politics, skin colour, religious differences etc and that's how it needs to remain.