Skip to main content
Topic: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion (Read 24602 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond at the MCG: Post Game Passion

Reply #76
What was with all our running under the ball for marks ??, was there Helium in the footy ?

Oh & don't get me started about the horrid little dinky kick ins after a behind....it was just a photocopy everytime & the Tigers blocked it off at the same half back spot  !!

We didn't even attempt to use the extra space available to get us further up the ground.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #77
They got given a 4 goal head start with some generous umpiring.

1 of them was charity to Tom Lynch thanks to Jack Riewoldt flying on Liam Jones to keep him out of the contest without making a realistic attempt to mark.  He got penalised for that a couple of times later, but the damage was done.

Another was a phantom free kick, and 50 metre penalty for no good reason which put them in scoring range.

Had they umpired that evenly all night, there would have been 6 50 metre penalties that they should have paid.

Instead they put the whistle away.  There were a few bewildering decisions that you just couldnt work out, particularly surrounding incorrect disposal.

Largely, we were our own worst enemy and the fumbles cost us more than anything else did.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #78
So when the tigs spent most of the third quarter trying to hack the ball out of their defense to anywhere but here they looked in total control? 

We must have been at different games.

I think we're a good chance to beat Port next week based on what I saw last night.

There seems to have been an expectation here that the 18th team from last year would beat the best team from last year.

Great to be passionate but really?

Momentum shifts and the odd lairy moment are inevitable in any game of football, are they not ?

There was not a single moment watching that game, when I thought we would win, or could win, or deserved to win. So in that respect, yes, we probably were watching different games.

Being passionate or dispassionate is not the issue. There's a particular brand of psychedelically-laced pre season Kool Aid that seems to be very popular around here, which I simply don't drink.

People's attitudes are opinions are very entrenched. You will read folks on here who are absolutely convinced that we have a good list, a list that is not the problem, a list that can win regularly, despite the rather glaring fact that there is little evidence to support such a claim. Apart from the obvious names (Cripps, Doc) etc., most of our list is either very young or very ordinary, and any claims that it's a great list are at worst hopelessly incorrect, and at best unproven. Naturally, when the sh1t hits the fan, such posters have already convinced themselves that the coach is the problem, and on and on it goes......

Reply #79
People's attitudes are opinions are very entrenched.

Including, very clearly, yours Paul...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #81
BTW...Walsh, in his first game.....was excellent....his composure (for the most part) was years above his age & experience.  Zach Fisher is a real goer....& Patty Dow did some great things (apart from one horrid shot for goal)  We are going to have a top notch midfield in a year or two.

The day we don't have to play Jones in defense will be a turning point...and I'm still not sold on Weitering.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #82
Thought Ed Curnow was ordinary, any thoughts of playing him as a forward should be shelved.....cannot deliver the footy or think his way through a forward play......
Agree on Newman...started in a dodgy fashion with some defensive efforts but his kicking is excellent and is already the go to player in a Houli like way to deliver the ball out defense.....
Plaudits to Fisher...held up well vs Dusty who probably wore him down but our man tackled well and avoided the Dusty fend off better than most....

Ed curnow is a favourite son, but he butchers the footy.  His delivery inside 50 is awful.  It costs us goals, and is a key reason for why we seem to turn the ball over more often than not.   It will be difficult to cut ties with Ed, but until we do, we won't win a flag IMO.

Reply #83
Ed curnow is a favourite son, but he butchers the footy.  His delivery inside 50 is awful.  It costs us goals, and is a key reason for why we seem to turn the ball over more often than not.   It will be difficult to cut ties with Ed, but until we do, we won't win a flag IMO.

Ed is a major liability in the forward 50.

Cost us last night.

To digress, watch the last 20 minutes of the 3rd quarter - we were ALL over them.... but for a few poor efforts by Ed Curnow and younger brother, in particular, we would have had a lead at 3/4 time.

Also, the run down by big H with 4 minutes to go - was a holding the ball free to Harry every day of the week. Umpires definitely did us no favours.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #84
First lets give the opposition some due, Richmond have been the best team over the past 1 and a half seasons, aside from a poor prelim they could very well be sitting on back to back flags and there wouldn't be a person surprised by that. I actually said to people that a 6 goal loss was what I'm expecting.

Second our game plan has changed, if you could not see when we had the game on our terms in the second and third quarter, we got the ball to defensive 50 then looked to get it into the middle which opened up the forward half and created out scoring chances.

In the first quarter Richmonds excellent full ground defence, something they have been working on as a group for many seasons now, pushed us to the boundary line and they did the same in the last as well.

We had poor hands over the ball as a whole and kicked poorly in front of goal, but we tackled better than I've seen a Carlton team do in a few years. We hit more targets, and ran as a group with overlap, but made a few stupid choices in trying to create the run as well.

Just again, we finished a poor last and they finished two games clear on top of the ladder. We bought in some nice players that all need game time to reach their potential, Richmond bought in an AA full forward, so again was this result a surprise?

I thought the world was ending when we were 1-40, however the team showed fight and got back into the game through hard work, and I didn't see Richmond take it easy at any stage, we just played better than them for half a game.

Looking at the age and experience demographics for the teams last night

Richmond games 1 to 30 - 2
Carlton games 1 to 30 - 7

Richmond games 31 to 60 - 5
Carlton games 31 to 60 - 7

Richmond games 61 to 100 - 3
Carlton games 61 to 100 - 2

Richmond Games 101 to 200 - 7
Carlton games 101 - 200 - 3

Richmond Games 200 + - 5
Carlton Games 200 + 3

Richmond age 17-20 2
Carlton age 17-20 3

Richmond age 21-24 - 5
Carlton Age 21-24 - 11

Richmond age 25-30 - 15
Carlton age 25-30 - 5

Richmond 31+ 0
Carlton age 31+ 3

Over Half of our side has played less than 60 games
Over Half their side has played more than 100 games

15 of their 22 are in what is considered the prime of their careers age wise.
We have 3 past it and 14 yet to hit their prime.

It's a simple equation, they are good team with their players in the right demographic with games played and age
We are young and inexperienced and there is nothing to remedy that except time

Reply #85
Setterfield was one big plus for us.
24 disposals in 66% game time. Give him 100% game time and it's around 40 disposals.
Pretty good for a kid playing his 3rd senior game.

He will be a gun.

Agreed. Like the look of him and looked assured at times. Only went at 50% efficiency tonight but for a third games I'll take that. Can only get better. SOS had big raps on him and I can see why. Another small piece of the puzzle solved.

Reply #86
BTW the umpiring was shocking, they ever had yellow and black shorts on. How did Lynch get his first goal, by Riewoldt jumping on Jones and making no real effort to get the ball in the air.
Second goal, we laid a tackle that spilled free should have been dropping the ball, instead it rolled over to a Richmond players that snapped a goal.

Reply #87
BTW the umpiring was shocking, they ever had yellow and black shorts on. How did Lynch get his first goal, by Riewoldt jumping on Jones and making no real effort to get the ball in the air.
Second goal, we laid a tackle that spilled free should have been dropping the ball, instead it rolled over to a Richmond players that snapped a goal.

AFL Umpiring always has and always will favor the established and big name players under the influence of the crowd.

What irks me more than the poor umpiring is hearing some Nthmond fans laugh at the double standard, they are quickly become as bad as the lot over at CheatsFC. Nthmond fans have learned, effectively coached or otherwise, that using their mob voice will influence the umpires to the point they call penalties before they even occur. The effect is a form of precognition and the AFL has chosen to ignore it despite being introduced to technologies that eliminate the effects on officials. They want mob rule.

Personally, Carlton fans have never got it, last night we were effectively silent barring the occasional polite applause. Even our President shows no emotion. Yet we demand the team play with bottomless spirit, it's a complete double standard. If you don't stand up for the kids on the field, if you don't make your voice heard over the filthy hoard, then you won't be favored by the decisions of officials who are under mob influence.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
Question 15. 10 marks. Complete this syllogism :
All superstar players get preferential treatment from the umpires.
Cripps is a superstar player.
Therefore____________________.

At least we have one such player.

@Raydan. Great post (#84) as always.

Reply #89
Well that was crapFUL.
Our ability to win the ball and drive it forward into the waiting arms of the opposition thereby allowing their return entry and score should be a stat. We would be the ladder leaders.
Of the new blokes (non-draft) I thought Newman was the best. He's slow but at least he can kick.
Walsh was super impressive. Looks like we've got a good one there.
Charlie continues his poor JLT form. When you get the bronx cheers taking a mark it's a dead give away.
Ed, Gibbons and Fasolo up forward - major MAJOR fail.
McGovern, not fantastic but does compete. Harry I think has improved somewhat and at this stage has passed Charlie??! WTF!
Murphy on the wing I think works and will extend his career, I believe, for some time.
Probably the best game I've seen Thomas play for a while.
Weitering started well but got worse towards the end (tired?)
Jones, rock solid I thought but will probably be getting a holiday for the off the ball incident with Reiwoldt.
Fish, love him but a bit rusty. Will improve
Cripps, bloody hell. What a player.
Phillips battled hard but his opponent kicked 3 goals. Tighten up.
Cunningham, SPS, Plowman, Dow were serviceable without being fantastic
Simmo played a good game I thought. Continues to surprise, but for how much longer?
Setterfield, not too bad. Was fumbly which is how he played in the JLT so that's a concern but willing to give him a few more weeks. Missing a goal from directly in front 40 metres out doesn't help.
I'm not going to go on about game plans. There's isn't real scientific nor is ours but they execute better (see my first point). However we do tend to over handball. Rather handball to a teammate that take the responsibility of kicking. Why?
Thought we'd do better, but that start killed us. Knew we'd spent our tickets in quarters 2 & 3 catching up. Thought Rance going down might help but we were too tired tired in the last to take advantage.
Very, vary annoyed at that effort.