Skip to main content
Topic: "SuperFooty Rates The Midfield Depth" - HUN (Read 16324 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: "SuperFooty Rates The Midfield Depth" - HUN

Reply #15
Dangerfield to replace Judd in the no.5 as a FA and Dylan Shiel via a trade would be handy additions come seasons end!  ;) :P

Reply #16
Dangerfield to replace Judd in the no.5 as a FA and Dylan Shiel via a trade would be handy additions come seasons end!  ;) :P

Forget about Danger, he'll either stay at the Crows or move to Geelong, no-one else will get a look-in.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #17

Forget about Danger, he'll either stay at the Crows or move to Geelong, no-one else will get a look-in.

Agree. I was reading over the weekend about Dangerfield's connections to the Geelong area, the Geelong FC and the Costa family. I'd be amazed if he left the Crows to go anywhere but there.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18

Agree. I was reading over the weekend about Dangerfield's connections to the Geelong area, the Geelong FC and the Costa family. I'd be amazed if he left the Crows to go anywhere but there.

We were all amazed when Boyd nominated the bulldogs after 1 year in the system!

Stranger things can happen...

Reply #19

We were all amazed when Boyd nominated the bulldogs after 1 year in the system!

Stranger things can happen...

We can only hope!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
It helps when you can pick up beams, Christensen and Mitch for peanuts in a single year.
Brisbane certainly flew under the radar and got some bargains. It would be nice if we could do that trick. Can't see it happening, but who knows?

It would be nice to get Dangerfield, but I can't see it happening. If we can snaffle a few up and comers or get someone who wants to come to us, that would be nice. However, to get some real A graders we are going to have to breed them or trade. F/S mids anyone?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
No certainties Geelong but we need to show improvement as it will be a hard sell if we go poorly and we have Judd and co on the way out. Danger doesn't have 12 years ahead of him to ride out a bottom out.

Reply #22
The problem with our midfield over the past couple of seasons has been our rucks. Our whole team improved last year when Cameron Wood took over the role and became competitive. I was so disillusioned with Warner I thought he should have been traded. The fact that CFC has maintained their faith leads me to believe he was probably carrying an injury and I might have been a bit tough on him. We will see how he goes this year.  Carlton's champion teams have been based on strong rucks that feed out the ball to our on ballers, Nicholls, Jones (Percy & Wow), Fitzpatrick & Madden. Mat Allen had a great year in 1999, the last time we made the GF. If Kreuzer, Warnock & wood are fit, and Casboult can step up, out midfield will look a whole lot better

Reply #23
The problem with our midfield over the past couple of seasons has been our rucks. Our whole team improved last year when Cameron Wood took over the role and became competitive. I was so disillusioned with Warner I thought he should have been traded. The fact that CFC has maintained their faith leads me to believe he was probably carrying an injury and I might have been a bit tough on him. We will see how he goes this year.  Carlton's champion teams have been based on strong rucks that feed out the ball to our on ballers, Nicholls, Jones (Percy & Wow), Fitzpatrick & Madden. Mat Allen had a great year in 1999, the last time we made the GF. If Kreuzer, Warnock & wood are fit, and Casboult can step up, out midfield will look a whole lot better

Top post Blue Moon!

8)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #24

Top post Blue Moon!

8)
I agree. Ruckmen may cop a lot of flack as a group, but the influence on a game of a dominant ruck pair cannot be underestimated. Teams like Sydney and Brisbane won GFs because they had the man (or men) who got first hand on the ball and give their mids a better than 50% chance. Any mid worth his salt will take that.
Back in the Pagan days Barnaby French had a couple of periods of absolute brilliance, and it corresponded to our 2 NAB Cup wins. When his form dropped and the other ruckmen used their athleticism to wear him down, we sank like a rock.

Our present ruck combo has won us games, but has not been able to play consistently at a high standard. Kreuzer won a lot of taps but did not direct them well: our mids struggled as a result. When Warnock was playing well, he directed his taps very well. The result was games like the Richmond final a couple of years back: we smashed them. Wood has improved his ruck work: directing his taps was a huge weakness. However, he was notably better at that when he played in the seniors at the end of last year. If, and it is a significant 'if', our rucks can play close to their potential, then our midfield improves hugely.
I would not call it particularly probable, based on our past performance and our history of injury, but hope springs eternal. To have our rucks be as effective and Big Nick was from 1967 to 1972, as Percy Jones was in the 1972 GF and Fitzy and Wow Jones were in the early '80's would be a huge benefit for us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
If, and it is a significant 'if', our rucks can play close to their potential, then our midfield improves hugely.

Very true, but it's not just about winning hitouts and directing them to our players' advantage.  It's about imposing a big body on contests, taking marks around the ground, dropping back into defence to fill holes, spoiling opposition attempts to mark, going forward to be a marking target and to block our key forwards' opponents, and ensuring that the blokes tagging our best midfielders are spending a lot of time looking over their shoulders.

I think Kreuzer is most able to do that, with Casboult and Rowe our next best.  Warnock and Wood might be able to win a few hitouts and Wood can take a mark, but their mastery of the other parts of a ruckman's game is sadly lacking.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
Last year we really only had Gibbs, Murphy, Everett and arguably Simpson consistently producing good quality football through the middle.

This year there's upside from [Warnock?], a full year from Judd and expected improvement from all of Thomas, Docherty, Bell, Graham and Cripps. And, who knows what we'll get from Menzel, Yarran, Buckley and Boekhorst. Plenty to look forward to, but I'm expecting a lot from Docherty and Bell in particular - in fact, I'm hoping that Tom Bell can become our Dane Swan,  not pretty but highly effective.

A starting midfield of [Warnock], Gibbs, Murphy, Judd, Everrit, Thomas, Docherty, Bell, Simpson aint too bad.

Reply #27
Love the optimism JD but the reality is we've been talking about what will happen if they all produce what they're capable of for a long time now. It's time to walk the walk and we should no longer giving a lot of these guys the benefit of their potential.

Reply #28
@Crash

The real problem with our rucks, at least until Wood got a go was their inability to take a contested mark around the ground. It was a struggle for either Kreuzer or Warnock to even manage getting their hands to the pill. Forces Casboult to work up the ground and provide the option that in reality any decent ruck should be providing.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #29
@Crash

The real problem with our rucks, at least until Wood got a go was their inability to take a contested mark around the ground. It was a struggle for either Kreuzer or Warnock to even manage getting their hands to the pill. Forces Casboult to work up the ground and provide the option that in reality any decent ruck should be providing.

If these two haven't tried to do something to rectify this situation, then they are not serious about making an impact in games on a regular basis. Taking a mark when you tower over defenders is a handicap our club can't afford to put up with.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.