Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG (Read 9610 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG

Reply #15
Agree with JD. Flick Setterfield, but persist with Dow. For the past couple of weeks Dow, is at least, cracking in. Can't say the same for Setterfield who is a skirt at the moment and match committee should be telling him so. I'm hoping Kennedy gets a game instead of him.
Once again I'd also give Levi a rest. For the 2 or 3 good things he does, he'll cancel them out with 2 or 3 diabolical's (kicking at goal, attack on the ball etc.). If McGovern has survived in the 2's I'd give him another crack.
Poor old Jack will most definitely be out, which is a shame, but maybe now is the time to give another hard worker in Stocker a crack.
Common theme being in all of these is that we need hardness in and around the ball if we are to be any chance against PA.

Reply #16
Port use the ball well from half back and we need players who can chase with leg speed, watched the Tiggers vs Port game and
players like Byrne Jones, Huston,Hartlett etc really hurt the Tigers. I wouldnt be going too large down forward and I think the key with Port is too match them with mobility.
Of course we also need a plan for Dixon who scares the crap out of our players and needs a double team...

Reply #17
Paddy Dow
I think most want him to make it. We have always been short of a class back pocket to play on the skilful small forwards.  If Paddy has to spend more time in the two's, perhaps worth a try back there.
cheers Ab

Reply #18
Pretenders or Contenders.
I reckon we'll have a much better idea of where we sit in the scheme of things after this game.
It doesn't have to be a win, but at the very least, a good competitive performance is what's required.

There are two things that MAY work in our favour next week.

1) We 'should' come with strong intensity and pressure...there will be no thinking along the lines of 'we just have to turn up.'
Not against this side.

2) Port may have put great mental and physical effort into the Richmond game...they may be the ones who are just a bit off in terms of the mental approach to what they may regard as a 'lesser' opponent.

Kennedy must play, and Mc Govern has  probably earned a recall as well.

Reply #19
We could lose Plowman to injury.
We will probably lose Silvagni to injury.
We might lose Gibbons from concussion.

Marchbank got injured in the 2's.
Someone suggested Oscar McDonald got injured as well.

We already have Charlie, TDK, Newman, Martin, Fisher, Kemp unavailable.
Williams may or may not be available next week.
I'm sure i've forgotten a couple too.

but that is 12 players.

From what we've got left i'm not sure we are capable of winning.

Reply #20
From that list though Kruds

Silvagni
Gibbons
Plowman

would be the ones to go out of last night's side.

McGovern takes Silvagni's spot
Kennedy takes the Gibbons spot
and maybe Stocker for the Plowman job.

and there is a chance Williams may play...

I'm not sure we lose a lot....but that requires McGovern and Stocker to step up a level.

Reply #21
We could lose Plowman to injury.
We will probably lose Silvagni to injury.
We might lose Gibbons from concussion.

Marchbank got injured in the 2's.
Someone suggested Oscar McDonald got injured as well.

We already have Charlie, TDK, Newman, Martin, Fisher, Kemp unavailable.
Williams may or may not be available next week.
I'm sure i've forgotten a couple too.

but that is 12 players.

From what we've got left i'm not sure we are capable of winning.

Pretty sure Gibbo was cleared of concussion.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #22
Don't get too excited by McGovern...  Reports I have from the match were critical of his lack of running and effort.  The three goals give a false reading on his form.  Crocker was the success on our forward line.
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #23
Don't get too excited by McGovern...  Reports I have from the match were critical of his lack of running and effort.  The three goals give a false reading on his form.  Crocker was the success on our forward line.
Didnt the Box Hill Hawks beat them easily?....Crocker might find himself on the list mid year.
I'm not sold on McGovern especially vs Port who thrive on lazy forwards but we lack soldiers as Krud suggested so he will probably play. Might be a chance for him to show something and convince a few non believers.
Port are banged up with injuries too and will miss Butters and Duursma.....Butters is a jet who would have been real problems so glad to see him out. If it was played in SA I would have said no chance but at home I think we can give them a run for their money even though the wins vs Freo and GC were very workman like.
Our brand of play is still very second rate compared to many teams and these last two games were ordinary to watch.

Reply #24
Didnt the Box Hill Hawks beat them easily?....Crocker might find himself on the list mid
year............................................................................................
Port are banged up with injuries too and will miss Butters and Duursma.....Butters is a jet who would have been real problems so glad to see him out...
Our brand of play is still very second rate compared to many teams and these last two games were ordinary to watch.

I agree Elwood. We sit 2-2 so we achieved what we needed to, but there's nothing really convincing about it. You can only beat what is in front of you, but the last 2 weeks the opposition has been ordinary.

A very bittersweet weekend IMO. Nice to be 50/50 with W/L, but injuries to Slivagni and Marchbank, the VFLW girls lost, and next week Port.

Reply #25
From that list though Kruds

Silvagni
Gibbons
Plowman

would be the ones to go out of last night's side.

McGovern takes Silvagni's spot
Kennedy takes the Gibbons spot
and maybe Stocker for the Plowman job.

and there is a chance Williams may play...

I'm not sure we lose a lot....but that requires McGovern and Stocker to step up a level.

....and people want to drop dow, setterfield and casboult.

Reply #26

Think all three will play......Lycett and Ladhams are big units and Pittonet will need some decent support in the ruck and if we got beat up by the Box Hill Hawks by 43 points we cant have had too many good players in the magoos practice game.
Looked at the Hawks team and its not exactly a big name outfit.....

Reply #27

Yep, I'll put my hand up. Haven't heard of anyone other than Silvagni not being available for next week, but even if Gibbons and Plowman join the injury list, I'd be more than happy to drop the non-contributors. They are just not giving us anything.
Rather try someone who is willing to have a go.

Reply #28
...............................and if we got beat up by the Box Hill Hawks by 43 points we cant have had too many good players in the magoos practice game.
Looked at the Hawks team and its not exactly a big name outfit.....

That's a good point EB, and another thing that got me a little down. The VFL proper hasn't yet started, but if you want sustained success, the 2nd's team needs to be about the mark. Apart from the fact that we lost by 7 goals, 144-101 sounds like end to end bruise free footy. I really hope we can be very competitive in the 2nds.

Reply #29
If we play like this next week, we're toast.
We have a very annoying habit of playing at the same level as our opponents - not so bad when the other side is good, but awful when they are strugglers.

I'm hoping a big home crowd will make a difference.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?