Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 5763 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #75
More than anything, the thing that I would love to see with our group this Friday night is a concerted effort to focus on trust in each other and leadership.

We know that they all know how to kick, handball, tackle, run, mark and so on. But this really does look like a group bereft of trust in themselves, trust in each other (which destroys any opportunity to build confidence) and strong on-field leadership.

We have been doing plenty of things to undermine trust... silly misses on goal, dropped marks, poor handballs, silly choices/options - all symptoms of a lack of trust/confidence. A vicious cycle. The result? Playing safe, slow footy. No risks or boldness. Easily defeated/deflated.

To be candid, and I declare my bias having come from a military background/environment (Navy), I'd get a retired (you're never an 'ex') Navy Seal into the place to put these blokes through the exercises/disciplines required to build trust and leadership. Declarations of 'working harder' are rubbish, not to mention the implication that we've not being working hard enough. There are no issues with effort. 'Working smarter' would be more appropriate. And this cr@p about not getting too high or too low is a recipe for beige. The skill is to limit and contain the big highs and lows. Allow the highs and hurts for a time, then harness.
The enjoyment levels look low, you look at Collingwood and they had the big mothers day special lunch with Mccreery's mum giving the players a gee up before the game and making it fun and all the players seem happy and bonded up.
Sidebottom said recently that McRae had ended any player hierarchy stuff as well.
No private groups , ratpacks or senior players ignoring younger players.
Everyone equal and getting a say, was told they don't do the lecture theatre stuff much anymore and he prefers small private rooms where players are closer and feel connected.

Reply #76
Kemp has to come back in, he reads the ball very well and is an excellent intercept mark which will be of great benefit on the smaller SCG.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #77
Sidebottom said recently that McRae had ended any player hierarchy stuff as well.
No private groups , ratpacks or senior players ignoring younger players.
Everyone equal and getting a say, was told they don't do the lecture theatre stuff much anymore and he prefers small private rooms where players are closer and feel connected.

Was talking on the phone with Raydan this morning about the player hierarchy thing and we are near certain it still exists at Carlton and will for some time unless certain people are removed.

It's holding us back big time !!!

Reply #78
More than anything, the thing that I would love to see with our group this Friday night is a concerted effort to focus on trust in each other and leadership.

We know that they all know how to kick, handball, tackle, run, mark and so on. But this really does look like a group bereft of trust in themselves, trust in each other (which destroys any opportunity to build confidence) and strong on-field leadership.

We have been doing plenty of things to undermine trust... silly misses on goal, dropped marks, poor handballs, silly choices/options - all symptoms of a lack of trust/confidence. A vicious cycle. The result? Playing safe, slow footy. No risks or boldness. Easily defeated/deflated.

To be candid, and I declare my bias having come from a military background/environment (Navy), I'd get a retired (you're never an 'ex') Navy Seal into the place to put these blokes through the exercises/disciplines required to build trust and leadership. Declarations of 'working harder' are rubbish, not to mention the implication that we've not being working hard enough. There are no issues with effort. 'Working smarter' would be more appropriate. And this cr@p about not getting too high or too low is a recipe for beige. The skill is to limit and contain the big highs and lows. Allow the highs and hurts for a time, then harness.

Could not agree with you any more .... well said  Baggers !!!

Time has come to feck off with this "get to work" crap, Sayers said it the other day, Docherty said it and Voss sprouts it ad nauseum.

Reply #79
The big thing Raydan & I discussed this morning was the fact that there is no honesty in the selection policy. If a guy in the seconds busts his guts & plays a blinder he doesn't get a promotion to the seniors even though there were 2-3 players who were woeful and deserve to be dropped.

If you know you won't get axed, then what is the driving force for a player to make that smother, put your body in harms way to protect a team-mate ??

Luke Hodge & Joel Selwood would always come off the field battered & bruised, they were true leaders and it made the rest of the team follow their example, how could you look them in the eye and say "nah, I'm not doing that" ?? 

We need to reward performance, not mollycoddle the "cliche".

To that end, the match committee need to put the line in the sand now, start a new process from this week with some tough selections that send a strong message that "close enough is not good enough". Let's be honest, we aren't playing finals this year so let's work on setting things up for 2024.

VFL stats : Tom De Koning (23 disposals & 34 hitouts) Paddy Dow (41 disposals), Binns (30 disposals)

OUT : Silvagni, McGovern, Acres, E. Curnow, Durdin, Boyd

IN : TDK, Cincotta, Cowan, Kemp, Dow, Binns

Move Docherty & Saad across the centrleine & midfield to add some grunt, pace & delivery to our attack.

Reply #80
If nothing else LL, that would make a statement. Maybe Hewett into the 22 and one of those listed as the sub? Sydney are missing tall players at both ends of the ground.

Reply #81
I watched a clip from Footy Classified where both Bartell and Lloyd said Voss should be focusing on the positives in an effort to build up the their confidence which is rock bottom right now. Jimmy in particular said the Geel group responded to that type of reinforcement far better than the reviews which were all about showing vision and saying "you should have done this, you should have done that". He suggested show them highlights of the good passages of play say from early last year to remind them them they good footballer, are Brownlow Medallists, are Coleman Medallists, can execute under pressure. I think right now, it appears to me the whole club is as low as pregnant ant so this level of reinforcement needs to start from the leaders top down.
Anyway, I found the comments interesting but certainly worth trying some Navy Seal type stuff. That SAS TV show is exactly what its all about.

Yep, positive reinforcement. Take off the negative shackles, remove fear of mistakes, encourage free flow, risks, fun, enjoyment... focus on positives and what each admires about the others... go to Sydney today and have some fun together. Watch a comedy together, whatever. Bonding.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #82
Not sold on Kemp. Like everyone else, I’d love to see him live up to his status as a first round pick but he exhibits the same flaws that see others pilloried. Last week, he shortpassed in D50 after taking the kick-in only to see an opponent intercept mark (and has done similar in a previous VFL game). He had the opportunity to tackle an opponent who ran into him at CHF but the opponent bounced off him and kept going. And after being out marked 45m out when his opponent was out of range as he was kicking into a gale, Kemp pushed him to the ground in frustration to give away a 50m penalty and a goal. No doubt he also racked up some intercepts himself but those sorts of errors at VFL level make me wonder how reliable he’ll be against a desperate and well-drilled Swans on their own dung heap.

Reply #83
Further to what I wrote before, this group folds under expectation/pressure. Classic low confidence/leadership/trust stuff. We should want to eat expectation and demand more. Enter the training I mentioned previously.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #84
Further to what I wrote before, this group folds under expectation/pressure. Classic low confidence/leadership/trust stuff. We should want to eat expectation and demand more. Enter the training I mentioned previously.

I played local suburban footy (U/13, U/15, U/17 & open-age) in the Essendon District league plus cricket from age 10 till 32 in the local Churches comp (first game was in the U/16 as a 10yo) and it was always instilled in us that sometimes you are going to come up against a better opponent. When you did, you gritted your teeth and went just as hard as you would against an inferior opponent.

Winning was not the occassional thing to achieve, it was a weekly expectation and when we did lose, it actually meant something to us, it hurt !!

When you won a game you were not expected to, usually on the basis of playing as a complete team and genuinely wanting that win, the satisfaction & pride amongst the palyers was immeasurable.

I hate losing, I always have and always will !!

Some of our players seem to just accept it with a sh1t-eating grin on their face. I can't trust players like that and never wanted them in the team with me.

"its not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Reply #85
Not sold on Kemp. Like everyone else, I’d love to see him live up to his status as a first round pick but he exhibits the same flaws that see others pilloried. Last week, he shortpassed in D50 after taking the kick-in only to see an opponent intercept mark (and has done similar in a previous VFL game). He had the opportunity to tackle an opponent who ran into him at CHF but the opponent bounced off him and kept going. And after being out marked 45m out when his opponent was out of range as he was kicking into a gale, Kemp pushed him to the ground in frustration to give away a 50m penalty and a goal. No doubt he also racked up some intercepts himself but those sorts of errors at VFL level make me wonder how reliable he’ll be against a desperate and well-drilled Swans on their own dung heap.
Weitering, Young and McGovern are very poor at the moment and you can add JSOS to that group. I think Kemp deserves an extended run of games to establish himself. My preference is to see him used down back in the intercept role but Id even think about giving him a run forward and seeing if he can take a mark or two and give us a different look.
His form was reasonable before he was dropped and again I question the development of our younger players and the lack of faith and patience shown in them.

Reply #86
Unless he can get the unforced errors out of his game, playing him as an intercept defender might not do wonders for his development. We have difficulty working the ball out of forward presses as it is. We don’t want to be handing the ball back or resorting to less challenging sideways or backward kicks. Once we’re out of finals contention, by all means play the kids.

If he plays and shows he can distribute well by foot after intercepting, then I’ll jump on the bandwagon quite happily.

Reply #87
voss should say play on ,on all occasions people like young,Gov,Doc for example take a mark go back look around  and then guess what the long bomb so wat difference does it make  GO GO GO. (of course there is other players ) maybe for 1 Q

Reply #88
voss should say play on ,on all occasions people like young,Gov,Doc for example take a mark go back look around  and then guess what the long bomb so wat difference does it make  GO GO GO. (of course there is other players ) maybe for 1 Q
Only issue with this is we are the absolute worst at defending against slingshot goals, and we have made turnovers our strongest stat.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #89
I like your ins and out supreme dark overlord
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?