Skip to main content
Topic: Is that Sports Doctor still in da house? (Read 8471 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Is that Sports Doctor still in da house?

Reply #15
In my opinion, they all are flawed, yet understandably so.

No matter how many people you treat, every body is different.  Some people respond well, others do not.  Some people have underlying conditions that have been ignored for years, others do not.

The first thing you should be thinking before seeking advice, is that people are fallible, and this is especially true of the medical industry.  They will make mistakes.  Often the reason for that, is that people are creatures of habit, and therefore repeat their approach to diagnosing anything.  So, you go see a new doctor, and will get frustrated by the same questions, and the same answers, and the same process.  This is just them doing what they do.  Getting all the information possible.

At the end of the day, no two injuries are quite the same also.  In this own thread, you will have multiple people who have had multiple injuries to the meniscus.  Mine was a hairline tear, which didnt require surgery, but ten years on, probably does due to a build up in scar tissue and randomized swelling (so random, its not a frequent occurrence).  You wont find anyone send me in for an operation, they will start with physio, but realistically speaking, I know my body, and I know where I am at.

I keep doing damage to my shoulders.  Yet, on scans, no problems show, and my issue can be resolved by physio and strengthening.  That is inaccurate.  The strengthening exercises cause excessive pain, yet are manageable, but as soon as I hurt myself again (be it within 6 months or 2 years) I am forced to begin rehab again.  Given AW's issues and what finally solved them and he has been relatively good since, I am of the opinion that his surgery might be required in my case.  Im not an athlete, so the medics will only get there when all other options have been exhausted, but I have been battling with these issues for 6-7 years now, and had I been a proffesional, I would have gone in for an operation already.  Nup, amateur league player, amateur league treatments.

Realistically speaking, you can get advice from as many different people as possible regarding your injuries, but no one will know your body as well as you do.  They will look at a scan, and see a bone, or a cartilidge tear, or something, but they will not know how that feels, and you are the only one who knows that.  I would persist with my treatments, but I dont have the time or the energy so I just go to the gym, and avoid activities that are going to really hurt me.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
@Thry
So, in summary, make sure the diagnosis is accurate before treatments are started. This reflects my own experiences with doctors - some are too quick to jump into a treatment IMO.

My own professional background (non medical) placed great emphasis on gaining a thorough understanding of what the problem was before expending resources on solutions that may not fix it, or in some cases even make it worse.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
Thats basically what I am getting at.  In IT, you can reset something or restore something, if you get it wrong.  With people's well being unfortunately things are not that simple.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
From someone who works in a medical allied industry I have found that asking the right questions, even to the annoyance of the client is the first and most important step. And to remember that not all clients tell you exactly what is going on... or even how to tell you what is going on. So the information gathering process must be exhaustive before a diagnosis can even be entertained. Sure, you get a 'gut' feeling or indication from presenting symptoms but man, you gotta keep delving and even after that, be prepared for something to throw you. Even if the client responds well to the diagnosis and treatment you really must remain 'on the alert' until everyone is satisfied you're absolutely on the right track.

Enter ego. Medical practitioners, medically aligned, any industry really are also only human and in the unique, pressure cooker expectation of a footy club, some will leap to solutions before all the facts are known... just too appear as if they know what they're doing. Whereas I reckon a real pro is never afraid to say, "Not sure, yet."
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
From someone who works in a medical allied industry I have found that asking the right questions, even to the annoyance of the client is the first and most important step. And to remember that not all clients tell you exactly what is going on... or even how to tell you what is going on. ..............

Like;

"Seriously Doc, I just woke up with the Coke bottle there, you have to believe me!"

or

"It all started out as a joke, then next thing you know my bits are encased in a solid block of clear polycarbonate!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Update, and scary one at that :o
Seems I am heading for an osteotomy
Anybody had one done?