Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63000 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #195
I'm no fan of the Polson 4 Krooz selection, but notwithstanding that, this game is the reality check we needed, on several fronts :

- older players who have outstayed their welcome - sorry Simmo, the jig is up. If Clarkson was coach, you would have departed at the end of 2016.

- younger players who got way ahead of themselves

- coaches who lack flexibility and the ability to think on the fly

-selectors who roll the dice and fail

- teams who underestimate the opposition and don't give them proper respect.

Think of it as the "AFL recession we had to have."

Amid the carnage and the ineptitude, there were few moments here and there that showed something. Take this with the Tigers game and the JLT series, and there are things to work with, and also things to work on.

Reply #196
Think of it as the "AFL recession we had to have."

I think we've had more than our fair share of them, why is this one any different?

Reply #197
I think we've had more than our fair share of them, why is this one any different?

Bolton can't be blamed for what happened before he got here, and we need to give him time and support to do what needs to be done. You know, like the proper clubs do.

Reply #198
Bolton can't be blamed for what happened before he got here, and we need to give him time and support to do what needs to be done. You know, like the proper clubs do.

As has been pointed out previously, Bolton has had as much time with the list as what Malthouse had. Arguably, he's had a lot more support behind him too.

Reply #199

I agree with Paul’s post above yours Krudds, in answer to your question... No one gets everything right all the time, maybe... maybe this is our “Geelong/Bomber Thompson” moment ?
Where the club internally (be it this week or end of a loonnnng season) sit down and take that good hard look in the mirror and not only resolve to do whatever they need to do, but actually do it !
Lessons to be learnt by all.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #200
OK my cunning plan of sleeping on it and hoping it doesn't look quite as bad in the morning didn't work, we are just not very good, another bottom 4 finish coming up. We have problems that are clearly identifiable, question is how do we try to fix them? Firstly the ruck, if Kreuzer plays, which apparently is doubtful, problem fixed. If not, I would bring in McKay and share the ruck duties between Casboult, McKay and Jones. Keep rotating them and give Grundy different looks. He's more a skilful ruckman rather than a monster like Witts, so I think those three could have a chance of negaing his influence. Bring Kennedy back in if fit, we need him badly to bolster our midfield. Play Weitering as a key defender, match him against their slowest forward and let him play his game. Our small forwards were putrid yesterday, we had enough inside 50's to win, but every time the ball came to ground they waltzed it out under no pressure. I don't think we can play Wright and Thomas as small forwards together as we did for almost the entire game yesterday. Both are slow as treacle, and there just wasn't enough pressure there. Wright has shown he can hit the score board regularly, so we need to find another position for Thomas. Maybe as a small defender? We would need them to have a slow small forward though, and I don't think they have one. Maybe move Thomas to the wing? If Byrne is out injured I'd like to see Garlett given a chance to play that running half back role. I'd keep Cuningham and Mullett, they both showed a bit, even though both butchered it at times like most of their teammates

Reply #201
As has been pointed out previously, Bolton has had as much time with the list as what Malthouse had. Arguably, he's had a lot more support behind him too.

I have no desire to turn this into a Mick v Bolts thread. If we're sitting 1-7 in a couple of months, just like when Micky Blue Eyes was sacked, we can talk some more then.

Reply #202

Spot on.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #203
Weitering...stays back (Marchbank/ Weitering -CHB FB)
Jones...roving back /follower (he's too loose to play one on one but he does provide contest and effort)
Casboult forward...not to ruck...to be replaced by McKay or Kerr sooner rather than later.
Persist with Silvagni
If Kreuzer's not available Lobbe or Phillips must come in.

Absolutely spot on. 

Levi in the ruck and Weiters to FF was like robbing Peter to crucify Paul.

Game was lost as soon as the match committee decided not to play an opponent who could at least reach high enough to provide a minor inconvenience to a 209 cm ruckman.

The suns waltzed out of the stoppages and penetrated our defence without the pressure any defence needs to have a chance.

Reply #204

Is that some cruel joke from the club to match up with the "Claim your Shame" ads they run on the scoreboard, part of the comedians campaign maybe?

If it's a joke; I don't get it.

Reply #205
Absolutely spot on. 

Game was lost as soon as the match committee decided not to play an opponent who could at least reach high enough to provide a minor inconvenience to a 209 cm ruckman.

The suns waltzed out of the stoppages and penetrated our defence without the pressure any defence needs to have a chance.

Further to Lods's comment on Jones... it isn't that he is too loose... he is showing horrendous judgment of when to go at the ball and when to defend his opponent. He is getting it completely wrong, and has had his pants pulled down in his last 3 games.

That element of judgment is why he ended up on the scrap heap originally... if he keeps going like this he will be back there again pretty quick.

Reply #206
Absolutely spot on. 

Agree totally.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #207
That was pitiful. It started with Kruezer being out, with Poulson replacing him we weaken three positions, ruck, key forward and key back. Play de Koning who was listed as emergency and we only weaken one position. Both Levi and Weitering looked more comfortable when Jones played in the ruck. Sadly true

Weitering was a gun in his first season because he was give a key back position to be his own, he was drafted as a key back and because we have a glut of bigger backmen he has been sacrificed because he is the least worst option up forward. Very sad but also true

I know we have this "layered" approach to build the offensive game but why when the game is getting beyond us did we not play a 7 man backline like we have done for the past 2 years? I thought we did

Our skills we ordinary as a whole with only Fisher, SPS and Cripps able to hold their heads up. The rest looked like the ball was a piece of soap - the number of dropped marks and handpasses were exceed only by the number of fumbles and poor disposals.

Reply #208
Further to Lods's comment on Jones... it isn't that he is too loose... he is showing horrendous judgment of when to go at the ball and when to defend his opponent. He is getting it completely wrong, and has had his pants pulled down in his last 3 games.

That element of judgment is why he ended up on the scrap heap originally... if he keeps going like this he will be back there again pretty quick.

i think the honeymoon is over for Jones.

Reply #209
What's with the laughable efforts of players who chase and catch an opponent who is running with the ball (Lynch on at least two occasions and other players as well) only to push them in the back or just apply a bump.

Tackling is obviously not one of strengths but the players should at least know that they should try. Byrne's effort against Lynch in the 1st quarter could possibly be excused because he is Irish and nobody has bothered to teach him the rules but, if that is the case, they can claim the shame (whatever the hell that means).

The only performances that were even more ignorant were produced by fans who were baying for free kicks for incorrect disposal when our players did not tackle their opponent.