Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63004 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #225
Further to Lods's comment on Jones... it isn't that he is too loose... he is showing horrendous judgment of when to go at the ball and when to defend his opponent. He is getting it completely wrong, and has had his pants pulled down in his last 3 games.

That element of judgment is why he ended up on the scrap heap originally... if he keeps going like this he will be back there again pretty quick.

I wonder if he really is, or if part of it is that when we've Docherty had down back, there is more organisation, and someone to cover Jones's man when he goes attacking the ball.
They highlighted one particular moment yesterday on the telecast where  Lynch was left in the pocket on his Pat Malone. Initially they were grilling Jones for leaving him, but when they camera angle was changed, he went forward to attack as there were 2 uncovered blokes forward, and no one dropped back onto Lynch when he did so.

Reply #226
I wonder if he really is, or if part of it is that when we've Docherty had down back, there is more organisation, and someone to cover Jones's man when he goes attacking the ball.

They highlighted one particular moment yesterday on the telecast where  Lynch was left in the pocket on his Pat Malone. Initially they were grilling Jones for leaving him, but when they camera angle was changed, he went forward to attack as there were 2 uncovered blokes forward, and no one dropped back onto Lynch when he did so.

Finally someone else noticing the truth about what is happening all over the ground!

We've got players who have lost the balance between attack and defence, Paul Roos highlighted it, Bolton admitted it and it hasn't yet been corrected.

Smarter kids like Weitering and SoJ do not have the experience to deal with this situation, they have the footy smarts and see what is happening and drop their heads because they get disheartened. Older heads like Daisy, Ed. Curnow, Plowman and Murphy keep plugging away, but fans pot them when with the football they try some miracle disposal to make up for all their out of position team-mates.

The real bad eggs are the guys who are doing the turnovers without being under pressure, the guys who are pushing forward like lunatics then efficiently handing the ball back to the opposition from a clear unpressurised disposal, then burning team-mates by pointing fingers at the blokes around them who are left to clean up the mess outnumbered and out of position exactly as Deag described.

I'm not expecting every player to be 100% efficient, but if you roll the dice you have to press equally hard both ways and only a handful of our list do it. Blokes like Daisy, Murphy and Ed.Curnow work the hardest workers, they are not the ones you want to be highlighting. You need to start looking at the names that seem to be missing from the chain of play, not the ones who are deeply involved in it!

Another problem we have, we have too many players who let opponents jog past without any pressure, when you contest with someone win or lose that opponent shouldn't be free to join the next contest unhindered. If you can't get to the next contest take them out with you, harass them at every opportunity and hinder their progress!

We've way too many of those finger pointers, who run like cut snakes forward and then jog backwards after missing a target, some of them are quite senior and it's not the ones necessarily getting all the supporter attention. A couple of them keep getting pats on the back for "good games", off the back of when they dramatically get back and help in only 1 or 2 out of every 5 cases, the fans ignore the times they decide not to help!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #227
We've got a bunch of blokes struggling to keep their AFL careers afloat(boat anchors), we've seen this and we've surrounded them with the talented kids to try and save them, all that is really happening is that the kids are being dragged under with the boat anchors! Half our supporter base sees this happening and blames the kid for not being a good enough swimmer!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #228
Finally someone else noticing the truth about what is happening all over the ground!

We've got players who have lost the balance between attack and defence, Paul Roos highlighted it, Bolton admitted it and it hasn't yet been corrected.

Smarter kids like Weitering and SoJ do not have the experience to deal with this situation, they have the footy smarts and see what is happening and drop their heads because they get disheartened. Older heads like Daisy, Ed. Curnow, Plowman and Murphy keep plugging away, but fans pot them when with the football they try some miracle disposal to make up for all their out of position team-mates.

The real bad eggs are the guys who are doing the turnovers without being under pressure, the guys who are pushing forward like lunatics then efficiently handing the ball back to the opposition from a clear unpressurised disposal, then burning team-mates by pointing fingers at the blokes around them who are left to clean up the mess outnumbered and out of position exactly as Deag described.

I'm not expecting every player to be 100% efficient, but if you roll the dice you have to press equally hard both ways and only a handful of our list do it. Blokes like Daisy, Murphy and Ed.Curnow work the hardest workers, they are not the ones you want to be highlighting. You need to start looking at the names that seem to be missing from the chain of play, not the ones who are deeply involved in it!

Another problem we have, we have too many players who let opponents jog past without any pressure, when you contest with someone win or lose that opponent shouldn't be free to join the next contest unhindered. If you can't get to the next contest take them out with you, harass them at every opportunity and hinder their progress!

We've way too many of those finger pointers, who run like cut snakes forward and then jog backwards after missing a target, some of them are quite senior and it's not the ones necessarily getting all the supporter attention. A couple of them keep getting pats on the back for "good games", off the back of when they dramatically get back and help in only 1 or 2 out of every 5 cases, the fans ignore the times they decide not to help!

We've got a bunch of blokes struggling to keep their AFL careers afloat(boat anchors), we've seen this and we've surrounded them with the talented kids to try and save them, all that is really happening is that the kids are being dragged under with the boats anchors! Half our supporter base sees this happening and blames the kid for not being a good enough swimmer!

Who are you taking about? Simo and who else?

Reply #229
I'm not expecting every player to be 100% efficient, but if you roll the dice you have to press equally hard both ways and only a handful of our list do it. Blokes like Daisy, Murphy and Ed.Curnow work the hardest

So Murphy is in the top three hardest workers?
Seriously, that is BS.

Reply #230
Season was lost as soon as they allowed Marc Murphy to captain the club again. The worst captain in the history of the game.

As I said last year, between him and Gibbs, who is thankfully not at the club anymore, we will never progress. They have a built in loser mentality and simple accept losing as part of their makeup. I would hate to see their win loss ratio from the start of their careers. It would in the vicinity of 33% at best.

We should have traded both at the end of last year. Marc's efforts yesterday were beyond unacceptable and this permeates through the entire club. I would love the match committee to drop both him a Weitering to make a statement to say that irrespective of who you think you are, you are not to get away with that sort of effort.

Both should be dropped for a minimum of 3 weeks to ensure they get it through their heads that if you want to play for the club, there is a minimum standard that is required. Of which Marc has never achieve through his tenure here. Absolute disgrace that he has been allowed to captain for so long. FFFFF****CK!

Does anyone here honestly think Marc commands respect from any of the playing group? I doubt any of the kids think, "gee I want to be like Marc". I dare say a sh*tload of sniggering goes on between them as they reflect on Marc's efforts week in week out.
\

2Marc Murphy   16   14   30   7   0   2   1   3   1   0   114

Hardly a bad game.  But I agree, as captain, it is a grub. 

Reply #231
I've digested this a little since last night.  This post is going to be a little more glass half empty than not.

1.  Gold Coast might turn out a much better side than anyone thinks they are this year.  They have good key position players in good form and have enough players around the ground that are 100 games or thereabouts to touch us up. 

2.  Sometimes you struggle after a physical match.  Last week against the Tigers was a better effort than we thought we'd give and they hit hard at every opportunity.   Young sides will always struggle.   I've once been told that the hall mark of a good side is how you're opposition rebound next week.  We didn't bounce back well after the reigning premiers.   Fair enough too.

3.  Even our better players had poor days at the office.   That would be one of cripps lesser games as well as most of the guys we rely on most of the time.

4.  we have quite a few underdone players by my estimate.   I'd say we are relying on the likes of O'Shea, Garlett and mullet much earlier than we would have liked and these guys were recruited for insurance over anything else and unfortunately we have needed them early.  That is confirmed by yesterday's match selection and the fact that the team not playing seniors has been touched up two weeks in a row and quite easily.

Now despite the fact that we picked a side that had basically no hope,  and that as soon as the late change was announced I was filled with dread, we played a make shift ruck one of the worst team balances possible and everyone had the fumbles and never played the sort of footy that even looked like winning this game, we somehow got within three goals of the lead halfway through the third quarter.  I'm not sure but I think they paid another soft free kick to gc who got an armchair ride all day to help kill any momentum we had built and that was all she wrote.

I'm going to choose to ignore our selection at this point.  It's not like there was much different we could have gone with and all things considered may vs McKay wouldn't have been much good for McKay's development at this level, and we would have put him in the ruck out of necessity at some point. 

Basically,  I'm keeping my powder dry.  Going with the glass half full approach and appreciating that as crap as weitering has been he needs to play as a third year key position player who can play much better footy than he is currently.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #232
1.  Gold Coast might turn out a much better side than anyone thinks they are this year.  They have good key position players in good form and have enough players around the ground that are 100 games or thereabouts to touch us up. 

I was actually thinking this yesterday...I remember many years back we'd lost a game in the early rounds we were expected to win comfortably. Some of the players made the excuse that the team we played was actually better than most folk thought.
That got a bit of a chuckle but...
That opposition side went on to be right in it at the pointy end of the season.
We'll see how GC go in coming weeks and this result mightn't look so bad in hindsight.

(Still looks pretty bad at the moment!) :(

Reply #233

Could be that GC have improved more than us, see this is the thing all teams can improve including us but its the level of improvement, are we slipping behind even though we think we are improving....

Reply #234
I can't say for sure, but if that effort yesterday is improving, we may as well pack up and go to Tassie.
GC were not great. It wasn't that they played us out of the game. Sure, they were better, but not great.
Even if we came out and beat Adelaide next week games like that one yesterday show that we are not improving like we should be.

Reply #235
Just watching the Dogs v. the Eagles - almost a replay of our game!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #236

Could be that GC have improved more than us, see this is the thing all teams can improve including us but its the level of improvement, are we slipping behind even though we think we are improving....

I think that may be where some of us get a bit anxious.
We've been sold this slow rebuild that when it bears fruit will see us with a sustained period of success.
Problem is there are no guarantees....and we'll soon get envious of the sides that shoot past us and wonder why we cant do the same.

Reply #237
I can't say for sure, but if that effort yesterday is improving, we may as well pack up and go to Tassie.
GC were not great. It wasn't that they played us out of the game. Sure, they were better, but not great.
Even if we came out and beat Adelaide next week games like that one yesterday show that we are not improving like we should be.

Agree. They were clearly too good for us but we were our own worst enemy imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #238

Ablett and Eade were big distractions for the Suns last season, that sent their season off the rails. Their list is not stellar, but good enough to sneak into finals IMO. No 2 Metre Peter yesterday either. Thank Christ.

Reply #239
Gold Coast are at best an average team with a standout tall forward. They didn't win, we lost.

Every missed kick, every poor hand pass, every fumble when not under pressure, every missed tackle and every player who didn't push hard both ways was a nail in our own coffin.