Skip to main content
Topic: Our list - what we have and what we need (Read 13097 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Our list - what we have and what we need

Reply #60
I think there is a place for "speculative" pickups at the right price but it would be a dire mistake to hang our collective hat on them. They should be regarded as cream on the cake who wouldn't be that important in case of failure to perform i.e. massive upside potential benefit but low downside impact in case of failure. By their nature we can't afford to take too many on board and they should be relatively cheap.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #61
I think there is a place for "speculative" pickups at the right price but it would be a dire mistake to hang our collective hat on them. They should be regarded as cream on the cake who wouldn't be that important in case of failure to perform i.e. massive upside potential benefit but low downside impact in case of failure. By their nature we can't afford to take too many on board and they should be relatively cheap.

Yes, Boyd will instantly become our No1 KPF, even before he plays. You can't be going for a speccy for such an important position. If there's one position that we must get right the first time, it's this one.

Does anyone know his current status ? He didn't play the first 2 AFL games. Is he playing VFL ? Did he play the JLT ?

Any info appreciated.

Reply #62
Ben Silvagni-not a lot of possessions but a couple of goals and in the bests for Oakleigh last weekend.

Reply #63
Yes, Boyd will instantly become our No1 KPF, even before he plays. You can't be going for a speccy for such an important position. If there's one position that we must get right the first time, it's this one.

What part of our history is that based on, what part of our history makes you think we will change?

Does anyone know his current status ? He didn't play the first 2 AFL games. Is he playing VFL ? Did he play the JLT ?

Any info appreciated.

The last update I read was he had an indefinite leave of absence to deal with clinical depression, and that there was some controversy about how his contract is to be dealt with potentially allowing the Dogs to overstep the TPP legally. However, reports before Christmas are that he was back in training, competing besides Schache in Intraclub matches, having played only one VFL game at the end of last season.

So far for 2018 he's not listed as injured, and not listed as playing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
Ben Silvagni-not a lot of possessions but a couple of goals and in the bests for Oakleigh last weekend.

Was he rucking Lods, I haven't caught up with the reports yet?

People have to keep in mind that the TAC Cup is not a pure competition, at least it use to be the case all the coaches were employed by the AFL and directed by the AFL to create open contests and one on one scenarios rather than use flooding or zone tactics. In some respects, the start of the AFL seasons looks eerily similar! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
I was only talking about our midfield.

Fair enough..I miss understood......
Dow and OBrien have to make it then...pick 3 and Pick 10 isnt something you get every draft....
Dow is under a lot of pressure to be a saviour IMO especially with Gibbs gone...

The club tried initially with Tom Mitchell  then with Kelly and Rockliff but its hard work when other clubs are offering mega deals and finals.....

Hawks bring in Mitchell, OMeara
Geelong ..Dangerfield, Ablett

Bit of difference to Kennedy and Lang ...in terms of status/worth....thats the advantage of being successful....

Reply #66
Was he rucking Lods, I haven't caught up with the reports yet?

Only 1 hit out in Round 2 would suggest not....although neither side seemed to have anyone with big numbers in this respect.

Round 1 was apparently very wet and not a good day for tall forwards... he only got a couple of possessions and 5 hitouts so he is doing some rucking..
Robertson seems to be the main ruck at Oakleigh.

Reply #67
Our midfield certainly needs more talent and depth. That is clear to me, and has been for a while.

Thinking the 2nd half of this year will be an exciting one, and certainly next year. Docherty will be back, the kids have another AFL season into them (2018) and then another pre-season. Should be exciting.

I'm interested to see if we'll go to the 'Super Draft' this year, or throw some coin at Ollie Wines, Tom Lynch and some others as we need bolstering in many ways. The good thing though for me is that we went to the National Draft again last year, and also snared two young mids in Kennedy and Lang, and now get to play the kids predominately this year. The inroads could be huge by the time round 23 is complete.

Right now, we need some more starting 18 footballers in the AFL team. By the end of this year, we will probably still need some, but you never know with youth. The goal posts could change somewhat!

Current Blues Youth:
Backline - Docherty, Williamson, Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering, Macreadie, Schumacher, Byrne, Glass-McCasker (r), McDaid (r).

Midfield - Cripps, Kennedy, Lang, Fisher, Petrevski-Seton, Cuningham, Dow, O'Brien, Polson.

Forwards - C.Curnow, J.Garlett, J.Pickett, McKay, J.Silvagni, Kerr, De Koning, Lebois (r).

At this VERY early stage, apart from rookies in Glass-McCasker and Lebois, I'd imagine all of the other young blokes I've listed above will remain for 2019, including International Rookie McDaid. The rookies could improve as the year gets going and remain also. We'll see.

We currently have one x 1st rounder and two x 2nd rounders for this years National Draft. Very good start. The potential top 5 all look like superstars in the making, and maybe more kids, though again we'll see how the year pans out.

Reply #68
We need 1-2 gun mids which we can easily afford. Shiel, Kelly, Wines - we'll get at least one of them. I'd even take the Schloite guy who won the Sandover last year. Played with Kelly at South Freo and out performed him most weeks....

Must have plenty in the kitty already then Simo and Daisy goneski season end and Murphy not far behind....

Other than that, we'll presumably get Ben Silvagni, i don't think the forward line needs a more?

I suggested a look at him too fb. Along with WAFL Kelly and Ryan. Admittedly the trek across the Nullabor is a risky one.
Wines will stay put IMO. Either of GWS Kelly or Sheil would be a big boost, but not sure we'd be on top of their list atm.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #69
I suggested a look at him too fb. Along with WAFL Kelly and Ryan. Admittedly the trek across the Nullabor is a risky one.
Wines will stay put IMO. Either of GWS Kelly or Sheil would be a big boost, but not sure we'd be on top of their list atm.
I don't understand why Schloithe was ignored. Must be something, but I have no idea what.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #70
I don't understand why Schloithe was ignored. Must be something, but I have no idea what.

He was on Freo rookie list some years back. He didn't debut, although that was a year or two before their GF berth.
By all accounts in WA media, he's considered very unlucky to have missed the call up last year.
Henry Ford.

Reply #71
By all accounts in WA media, he's considered very unlucky to have missed the call up last year.

They say that about so many though, it's hard sometimes what to believe, many have rightly become skeptical.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
Im going to put this out there with no real knowledge.

We know draft tampering is illegal, and thats fine.

Is it illegal for example for a WAFL club, to pay overs to prevent a youngster from joining the AFL and maybe plying his trade in the second tier comps?

What if a rich benefactor provided that incentive to said WAFL/SANFL/VFL/NEAFL club??

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #73
They say that about so many though, it's hard sometimes what to believe, many have rightly become skeptical.

Indeed. Arguably the edge this bloke shows is that he's taken top honors in his team / comp in consecutive seasons. There could be any number of factors at play though.

As for Thry's draft tampering theory, I guess it's possible. We've seen similar influence in multiple sports. Sadly.
Henry Ford.

Reply #74
Im going to put this out there with no real knowledge.

We know draft tampering is illegal, and thats fine.

Is it illegal for example for a WAFL club, to pay overs to prevent a youngster from joining the AFL and maybe plying his trade in the second tier comps?

What if a rich benefactor provided that incentive to said WAFL/SANFL/VFL/NEAFL club??

Haven't the AFL and States leagues issued widespread salary cap regulations starting last year!

In the case of Schloithe, I though he nominated but was overlooked!
The Force Awakens!