Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 22: Post Game quiet and frustrated discussion: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 20770 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 22: Post Game quiet and frustrated discussion: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
Of course you don't hang your hat on SC scores - but Liam Jones scored 102 points, didn't have a massive disposal count, but that score shows all the small things he did......he was enormous today. Well done & should've been running around at senior level a lot sooner than this.

All the usual suspects played out of their skins today (i.e. Simmo, Doc, Gibbs, Cripps), but this time they dragged a few along with them......Plowman (who had been poor for a few weeks), Buckley, Armfield, Sumner, Kreuzer, White, Graham (to name a few). Everyone to a man cracked-in from the get-go against team who get ahead of themselves moreso than other team in the AFL. Can't remember seeing Carlton supporters so outnumbered by Melbourne supporters (the MCC was extremely busy).....all of them expecting this to be the beginning of their charge into the finals.....this is reality check # 3 or 4 for them this year, will they ever learn!?

Jesse Hogan should do the honourable thing and give his Rising Star award to the much more deserved Patrick Cripps......when you look at what each of them have them have done this year, Cripps is on a different planet to Hogan - who is a lazy footballer, who's only interested when the ball is coming at him lace-out.

Loved how Gawn kicked the first goal of the last & they were all "Come on!!!" (apparently 2 hands in the back is okay), then within 5 mins his direct opponent took a ripping grab & sealed the win......nicely done Andrew Phillips.

A nice win Blues.....one I certainly didn't see coming.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #16
That Hunt kid from Melbourne has some toe. He is one of the fastest players I have seen in a long time.

Mike Hunt

Reply #17
Mike Hunt
His brother Jayden.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
A very enjoyable afternoon with the boys sticking to tbeir tasks and producing a solid team effort. Our defence is coming along nicely and today we set up well and moved the ball forward from defence very well IMO. The midfield also did OK but is still a  WIP, Gibbs and Cripps very good. Jones was pretty good today also and did a lot of work in keeping pressure on the Dees defence. A win is always nice!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
We did a lot better than I expected and our winning margin was twice what I thought :)

The effort that was missing against St Kilda and in the first half last week was certainly there from the first bounce.  It just shows what we're capable of when we're switched on.

I like what I saw from Cuningham today.  He didn't get a lot of the ball but he knows where it is, made good position and good decisions and affected the outcome of contests.  I reckon he'll be a regular next season. As B4L suggested, we'll have 5 for 5 if McKay lives up to expectations.

Anyway, it was a good day at the footy, even if there were lots of Melbourne supporters in what is usually a Carlton members' area.  They were a fairly inoffensive lot and one old bloke spent half the game twisted in his seat and trying to make conversation with the Blues supporters in my row.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
Great win. The pressure was all on the Dees as they had to win and win well. Our attack on the ball and extra pressure from our forwards caused them to make some big errors early. Fantastic midfield clearance rate from Cripps and Gibbs. We just have to develop some midfield support around these guys.

Reply #22
Of course you don't hang your hat on SC scores - but Liam Jones scored 102 points, didn't have a massive disposal count, but that score shows all the small things he did......he was enormous today. Well done & should've been running around at senior level a lot sooner than this.

Agreed - Liam has been a contributor in several of our wins this year and not just with goals or disposals. Wright and Buckley also made significant contributions without lots of possessions.

Kudos to whichever of the coaches set the plan for countering Gawn by having two players apposed to him in the ruck at every opportunity. One of Kreuzer's better games for the year - especially as an extra midfielder.

Cunningham showed enough to demonstrate why we drafted him.

If Gibbs were to consistently show the level of intensity that he brought in the first half today he would justify his draft position.

Reply #23
Brettie, the 'Go Dees' mob were out in full today! Level 2 and 3 had the 'full sign' up and they were pumping pre game.....but they can turn on their players with the best of them!! It was just to be amongst them and watch them wilt!!

It was a good day all round!!

Reply #24
His brother Jayden.

He's too lazy to make it in the big time, Jayden. His friends call him Slack Hunt.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
Brettie, the 'Go Dees' mob were out in full today! Level 2 and 3 had the 'full sign' up and they were pumping pre game.....but they can turn on their players with the best of them!! It was just to be amongst them and watch them wilt!!

It was a good day all round!!

Lol.....love it!!! You could hear the arrogance from them early in the game.....they thought all they had to do was turn up to win this game.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #26
Lol.....love it!!! You could hear the arrogance from them early in the game.....they thought all they had to do was turn up to win this game.
They were the same last year. I was amazed then. This one is a bigger surprise, and a better one, as Melbourne were supposed to have 'made it'. Funny thing that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
Plenty of accolades for loads of our blokes today and deservedly so, especially Cripps, Gibbs, Simpson, Kruz, Curnow etc.

But although he didn't get many possessions I was cautiously pleased with what I saw from Cuningham. His defensive game was first rate. Pretty sure N. Jones checked his shorts from time to time as it must have felt like Cuningham was in them with him. Then later in the game the kid got a bit of confidence and showed us some of his quick thinking and other skills. Early days, but there was a, dare I say it... definite green sprout!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #28
Won it in the midfield, the tag teaming of Kruezer and Philips on Gawn worked very well and Cripps/Gibbs totally eclipsed Viney, Jones, Petracca and crew....
As others have suggested Liam Jones played his role and you cant knock his work rate, we look more likely to score when Jones provides a contest and we cant go back to the Casboult only forward line setup...

Jesse Hogan looks like he sooks up when things dont run his way and he doesnt look interested, like he is just waiting for his contract to expire and head back West.
Dylan Buckley has probably shored up an extension to his contract and I prefer Sumner back in the team to Boekhorst....

Cunningham showed some poise at times and looks a promising player, kudos to Plowman who isnt showy but very honest and has taken the role of the retired Jamison..

The kid Hunt from Melbourne did impress me with his attack on the footy and leg speed....they may have found a player, looked a bit like a underdeveloped Nat Fyfe running from half back..

Reply #29
They were the same last year. I was amazed then. This one is a bigger surprise, and a better one, as Melbourne were supposed to have 'made it'. Funny thing that.

Our pressure killed them today, we were just tougher in mind and body! Loved it.
Reality always wins in the end.