Skip to main content
Topic: Potential List Changes for the Northern Blues 2018 (Read 17153 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Potential List Changes for the Northern Blues 2018

Reply #15
It's probably a perception...the hate thing.
I love Stephen Silvagni. (in a supporter type of adoration :D ;))
He's one of my favourite players.
I have no problem with his actions during the salary cap situation.
He behaved a bit better than some of the others involved.
I've been waiting for his sons to come of age since they were born...to continue the family traditions.
I was wrapped when Jack was drafted...and have been looking forward to Ben because he was supposedly a better player.

But...unless he's being cleverly placed in hiding, Ben has not shown the form that would have him as a priority in terms of our drafting and if things fall into place we mightn't have too many picks left at the bottom of the draft to use on him.
A rookie spot...maybe.

I would have said he has shown a heck of a lot more than Jack ever did at drafting stage.....? End of the day, the Club wil talk to the kid (as no doubt will his Dad separate;y and rightly so) and determine whether he wants it enough....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
The club has handled this BOJ situation brilliantly.

Not only have the clubs convinced other clubs he is no good, its convinced their own supporters he is no good. ;)

He'll make it onto our list one way or another. He'll perform better than we expect because our expectations are currently rock bottom.

Reply #17
Even Nathan managed a premiership.

True, but did he earn it or was it gifted?

What does 32 games over a 5 year career and 2 or 3 de-listings / retirements suggest?

That's the sort of stuff a Son of a Gun has to deal with, nobody will remember the premiership medallion!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
I would have said he has shown a heck of a lot more than Jack ever did at drafting stage.....? End of the day, the Club wil talk to the kid (as no doubt will his Dad separate;y and rightly so) and determine whether he wants it enough....

Which games were those performances in?

I've no problem accepting his value if someone can show me where to see it.

Jack kicked six in a State game...a performance like that will do me ;)

Reply #19
Which games were those performances in?

I've no problem accepting his value if someone can show me where to see it.

Jack kicked six in a State game...a performance like that will do me ;)

Lods, that was basically a one off against an injury decimated squad!

That very game created a unrealistic expectation of SoJ from fans!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Ben has decent height and is a good contested mark but thats where the story ends, no defensive game and no second efforts, very average playing for Vic metro too.
Chris Doerre alias Knightmare on Big Footy rates him though and reckons he will get picked up....CD now writes for ESPN Sports and his reviews are read by a lot of the recruiters who rate his work..
The fact he is a Silvagni gives him X factor, hope that he could be the real deal......my mine gripe when I have watched him is his lethargic, laconic approach...intensity isnt his strong point and he only really gets firing if there is a mark of the day opportunity.
There is also some talk/rumour that he doesnt have the dedication that Jack has or the other senior Silvagni's...rumour only....

Reply #21
Lods, that was basically a one off against an injury decimated squad!

That very game created a unrealistic expectation of SoJ from fans!

Maybe so
But Jack has had his share of senior games...and has shown a few good things.
What I'm looking for is some evidence that Ben is a better payer than Jack
Give me possessions and I'll shut up ;D

Reply #22
The fact he is a Silvagni gives him X factor, hope that he could be the real deal......my mine gripe when I have watched him is his lethargic, laconic approach...intensity isnt his strong point and he only really gets firing if there is a mark of the day opportunity.

This is why the Nathan Ablett analogy is so relevant.

There is also some talk/rumour that he doesnt have the dedication that Jack has or the other senior Silvagni's...rumour only....

In fairness to BSoS, there are very few players who have the drive SoJ exhibits. It's that drive that allows SoJ to compete at AFL level, without it even having the best athleticism in the world means nothing! We are a long way from being in a position to carry a Nathan Ablett type!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
The importance of a good VFL is demonstrated by the fact that AFL finalists Rich, Filth, Haw, Geel and Melb all have their VFL sides in finals also. Kind of makes our rise up the ladder look even tougher and further away.

In many ways you've described list depth.
Something we lack in spades. It's put under the spotlight further as a fiction of rebuild clean out processes.
That's why I was slightly bouyed by late NBs form.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #24
Nathan Ablett and Jack have precisely zero to do with recruiting Ben.

The reason being - he's a different person.

If we're factoring in the experiences of other people when assessing a potential recruit we're the worst bunch of drooling imbeciles in the AFL. Ben played key position for Vic Metro then got injured early. Played mostly school footy and never really set the world on fire. Will he get drafted? He was rated really highly when he was 16ish before tailing off and those guys do tend to get picked up late.

Reply #25
Nathan Ablett and Jack have precisely zero to do with recruiting Ben.

They are perfect comparisons.

SoJ shows the difference good attitude can make in the absence of pure ability, nobody doubts his desire, effort or commitment to training and the contest. If he was a couple of yards faster he'd be a god send for Carlton!

Nathan Ablett shows what indifference does to performance, because despite having sheds loads of natural ability and athleticism he bombed under the scrutiny AFL brings!

FWIW, Nathan Ablett's trajectory into AFL very closely mirrors Ben Silvagni! Both of them had been lauded at U16 level, both of them were early growers and tall relative to their peers, both of them showed indifference or inconsistency at development level!

I'm not a critic or a zealot, but I think it's fair people ask those questions in the absence of clear and unambiguous performances that prove otherwise! For me personally, I only have two things to go on, some indirect positive feedback from one of his junior coaches, and then a noticeable lack of performance in subsequent games at a higher level.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
They are perfect comparisons.

SoJ shows the difference good attitude can make in the absence of pure ability, nobody doubts his desire, effort or commitment to training and the contest. If he was a couple of yards faster he'd be a god send for Carlton!

Nathan Ablett shows what indifference does to performance, because despite having sheds loads of natural ability and athleticism he bombed under the scrutiny AFL brings!

FWIW, Nathan Ablett's trajectory into AFL very closely mirrors Ben Silvagni! Both of them had been lauded at U16 level, both of them were early growers and tall relative to their peers, both of them showed indifference or inconsistency at development level!

I'm not a critic or a zealot, but I think it's fair people ask those questions in the absence of clear and unambiguous performances that prove otherwise! For me personally, I only have two things to go on, some indirect positive feedback from one of his junior coaches, and then a noticeable lack of performance in subsequent games at a higher level.

The difference may be that had Nathan not won a flag he might have continued.

People have different aspirations.

Once he won his premiership he might have changed his mindset.  I'll haippily accept a retirement post a premiership.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
The difference may be that had Nathan not won a flag he might have continued.

People have different aspirations.

Once he won his premiership he might have changed his mindset.  I'll haippily accept a retirement post a premiership.

Yet it seems like claiming to have "climbed Mt Everest" after having been carried all the way by Sherpas!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Yet it seems like claiming to have "climbed Mt Everest" after having been carried all the way by Sherpas!

Everyone gets carried in some way shape or form LP.  Even Cripps gets carried in situations where players run off him.

At the end of the day, in a premiership season, Nathan's stats in a premiership year, was:

21 games, 17 wins, 4 losses, contributing an average of 4.1 marks a game, 1.5 inside fifties per game, 0.7 goal assists per game, and 1.6 goals per game and 1.3 tackles per game.

Come grand final day, he chimed in with 3 goals and was playing as a key forward.  He did his job without being spectacular.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #29
I dont think it's comparable to weigh Ben S versus Nathan Ablett.   One's an Ablett.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?