Skip to main content
Topic: Goodbye Dennis Cometti (Read 6125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Goodbye Dennis Cometti

Reply #15
DJC
That's exactly what I've heard. DC will continue to commentate, just not away from his home state.
He's been fabulous to listen to IMO.

There are times I listen to some of the newer generation, and struggle to recognise it as AFL. So many on TV and radio are so full of themselves, and the commentary reflects just that. I've no doubt they watch themselves and think they're legend's.
As Benjamin Franklin said "he that falls in love with himself will have no rivals" Narcissus lives on...
BTW this trait is very common amongst men (or women) who cheat on their partners :o familiar?

So long as commentators can stay focused on the game, I'll keep listening. Not holding my breath though...
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #16
Serious? I thought it was fantastic - the commentators of today are narcisstic wankers, these Two love the game first and foremost and how fantastic To see that loyalty exists within colleagues still nowadays!

Then why do it on live TV when the Premiers are celebrating down below? Narcissism at its best.

Reply #17
like a favorite uncle going away for good.
Whats left behind are idiots that lack flair, wit and ruin a good game...
bleak days ahead

Reply #18
I think that Eddie McGuire would be the new best commentator.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
Serious? I thought it was fantastic - the commentators of today are narcisstic wankers, these Two love the game first and foremost and how fantastic To see that loyalty exists within colleagues still nowadays!

Did it well. End of their telecast and it was brief but sincere. 40 years of brilliant commentary deserved to be recognized.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #20
I think that Eddie McGuire would be the new best commentator.

...if, true, doesn't that say something of deep concern!! Dennis had something that Eddie and many other commentators don't have - class. A few ABC trained blokes have it too.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #21
Maybe he crafted his humour after he became an established commentator rather than using his humour to secure his spot.  You'd have to look at his early work to see which came first.  It may be that there are younger commentators who are ready to take it to the next level to fill the gap.  For instance, Basil Zempilas could benefit if Ch 7 wants to create a new Cometti.  He has the smooth delivery of Dennis (and even the acquiline nose) albeit he can't match the low pitch.  He's a bit light-hearted in the Cometti tradition too.  If Ch 7 brands him as the new Cometti and he does the hard work of coming up with some zingers, he could succeed.  At the moment, he's a bit colourless but no doubt that has been a smart survival technique in commentary boxes which have not been short on ego.  He'd have to be part of a supportive team if Ch 7 wants to groom him.  In other words, you couldn't put him with Brian Taylor as Taylor wants to be the funny guy and the boss.  Bruce McAvaney would be ideal.  He'd be more than happy to pump up his zingers, as he did with Cometti.

Reply #22
As pre-meditated as they were his "observations" came of the back of hard work, he does a full match visualisation session before every game in much the same way race callers rehearse the call using a phantom race.

The likes of Taylor do not have that sort of work ethic or commitment, they think they did all the hard work during their playing careers and calling is some sort of right or entitlement.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
As pre-meditated as they were his "observations" came of the back of hard work, he does a full match visualisation session before every game in much the same way race callers rehearse the call using a phantom race.

The likes of Taylor do not have that sort of work ethic or commitment, they think they did all the hard work during their playing careers and calling is some sort of right or entitlement.

I think that's right LP.  Most of the ex-footballers calling games rely on their experiences rather than putting in the hard preparatory work that the likes of Cometti, McAvaney, Lane, Whately, Hansen and Underwood do.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
Maybe he crafted his humour after he became an established commentator rather than using his humour to secure his spot.  You'd have to look at his early work to see which came first.  It may be that there are younger commentators who are ready to take it to the next level to fill the gap.  For instance, Basil Zempilas could benefit if Ch 7 wants to create a new Cometti.  He has the smooth delivery of Dennis (and even the acquiline nose) albeit he can't match the low pitch.  He's a bit light-hearted in the Cometti tradition too.  If Ch 7 brands him as the new Cometti and he does the hard work of coming up with some zingers, he could succeed.  At the moment, he's a bit colourless but no doubt that has been a smart survival technique in commentary boxes which have not been short on ego.  He'd have to be part of a supportive team if Ch 7 wants to groom him.  In other words, you couldn't put him with Brian Taylor as Taylor wants to be the funny guy and the boss.  Bruce McAvaney would be ideal.  He'd be more than happy to pump up his zingers, as he did with Cometti.
Gosh anyone but Basil - I find him to be a complete dick

Reply #26
It took all of 35 secs!! Brief, sincere and well deserved.

Ch.7 is run out of Sydney, most of the executive staff and creative personnel have no interest in AFL, for them Dennis was the biggest story!
The Force Awakens!