Skip to main content
Topic: Rating the commentators (Read 12351 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rating the commentators

Reply #15
Leaping Larry rates the providers of "expert" comments this week.  Apart from his turn of phrase, I could have written this myself  :)

:)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
Just watched a little of the basketball this afternoon. Huddo called it like you would on radio. Too much talking...again from Huddo. I wish these commentators would let the pictures speak! I enjoy the NFL broadcasters who just give the information that the viewer might need to make sense of what they're watching.

Reply #17
Just watched a little of the basketball this afternoon. Huddo called it like you would on radio. Too much talking...again from Huddo. I wish these commentators would let the pictures speak! I enjoy the NFL broadcasters who just give the information that the viewer might need to make sense of what they're watching.

One of the best commentators ever was Richie Benaud.

He used to live by the mantra, only say something that adds to the pictures you are seeing.

Which is basically what you are saying. Don't try and copy the pictures with words as you will never tell the whole story. Add to the story that you can already see.

Reply #18
Two sports I know many on here don't like are cycling and V8 Supercars. However, IMO, they contain two of the best sports commentators in the business, one a caller and one special comments. They are Phil Liggett and Mark Larkham.
Liggett could call any sport I reckon, keeps it simple but is very knowledgable and fun to listen to. Uses the right amount of enthusiasm to keep you interested, nothing over the top.
Larkham does special comments on the V8 Supercar telecasts like no other, no BS, just explains the intricacies of the sport in layman's terms brilliantly.
For me, both these guys convey the information in a no BS manner and make it all about their sport rather than them. No egos or pissing contents. Thats what I like.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
Two sports I know many on here don't like are cycling and V8 Supercars. However, IMO, they contain two of the best sports commentators in the business, one a caller and one special comments. They are Phil Liggett and Mark Larkham.
Liggett could call any sport I reckon, keeps it simple but is very knowledgable and fun to listen to. Uses the right amount of enthusiasm to keep you interested, nothing over the top.
Larkham does special comments on the V8 Supercar telecasts like no other, no BS, just explains the intricacies of the sport in layman's terms brilliantly.
For me, both these guys convey the information in a no BS manner and make it all about their sport rather than them. No egos or pissing contents. Thats what I like.

I'm not familiar with Mark Larkham but Phil Liggett would have to be one of the best sports commentators going around; knowledgeable, says just enough, understands the difference between television and the wireless, isn't afraid to express an opinion, and has a voice that's easy to listen to.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
I'm not familiar with Mark Larkham but Phil Liggett would have to be one of the best sports commentators going around; knowledgeable, says just enough, understands the difference between television and the wireless, isn't afraid to express an opinion, and has a voice that's easy to listen to.
Liggett is a ripper indeed. With Larkham, he is an ex race car driver and team owner. He just dumbs all the technical stuff down so anybody watching can understand, especially during the enduro races.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #21
Darcy getting off lightly.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #23
One of the best commentators ever was Richie Benaud.

He used to live by the mantra, only say something that adds to the pictures you are seeing.

Every time Bruce gets a Carlton game I can't help wishing that someone would tape his mouth over with Richie's mantra.

He never used to be as annoying as he has become but I heard someone describe him as having developed into an over-the-top caricature of of his worst traits - sums it up quite well, I thought.

Reply #25
Any updates on the poorly state of AFL commentary, or are BT and Darcy still a mile in front of the next worst in the competition?

Leaping Larry nearly got it 100% correct with this assessment, just one change needed as highlighted and the quote is perfect;
BRIAN TAYLOR – The overwhelming impression I get from this caller is that the game gets in the way of putting over himself and his buddies in the booth. It seems barely possible that these priorities are not shared by those subjected to the entertainment stylings of the Brian Taylor Saturday Night Zoo Crew while trying to negotiate negate a football telecast.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Any updates on the poorly state of AFL commentary, or are BT and Darcy still a mile in front of the next worst in the competition?

Leaping Larry nearly got it 100% correct with this assessment, just one change needed as highlighted and the quote is perfect;

BT and the clueless Darcy have increased their lead.....

Reply #27
I like Dunstall. Not perfect but leaves the blather for the bounce.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #28
Lethal is my favourite commentator.

Reply #29
Bruce used to drive me nuts when he was with Dennis but now he's with BT and seems far less offensive.

BT is just crap.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................