Skip to main content
Topic: Sam Newman reckons that we are the worst performed team in the last decade. (Read 2640 times) previous topic - next topic

Sam Newman reckons that we are the worst performed team in the last decade.

I found this topic appearing on some of the Carlton Facebook sites.
Apparently Sam has some statistics to back up his claim. I am not willing to just call him a dunce, even though he is.
My question is, if he is correct, then where are our priority picks?

I am not saying we are the worst performed side, but it is true that we have struggled for some years. Brisbane and Melbourne would be the ones giving us a run for our money. I am sure I could finagle some statistics to show that any of the 3 mentioned teams might fit that criterion.

So, should we take this data to the AFL and ask for some priority picks? The AFL have not exactly been helpful in the past when it comes to providing assistance to us. Should we rub their noses in this crap? Will it help?

As I said, when I looked at this 'discussion', I took it for what is was: an idiot opening his mouth and letting hot air out. I have long given up getting sensible answers from certain areas. But if this is what the run of the mill supporter thinks, can we use it to our advantage? Or do we let the hot air spread out until it has gone? 
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Sam Newman reckons that we are the worst performed team in the last decade.

Reply #1
I don't think you need stats to tell you that we have been the worst performed team this past decade. Apart from a very brief window a few years back.

I don't want priority picks. Surely we must've had the highest number of first round picks this past decade ?

Time to roll up the sleeves, become modern, and be smart.

Reply #2
We played and won finals in the last decade. Melbourne, GC and Richmond have not... off the top of my head.

Reply #3
Thanks for nothing Ratts and Judd - all your stoopid coaching ideas and yer fancy professional standards.

Reply #4
He's helping us, just agree with him!

A few more media opinions supporting his claim and it's "Priority Pick Central" for the old dark navy blues!  :))
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Thanks for nothing Ratts and Judd - all your stoopid coaching ideas and yer fancy professional standards.
Really?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #7
No. I'm kidding.
Phew!! Scared me for a second.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8
Phew!! Scared me for a second.

I avoid using emoticons, so I guess the irony / sarcasm can be a little hard to detect.

Reply #9
Four finals appearances in the last decade makes it kind of hard to argue for a priority pick.

We've basically stated we're involved in a rebuild process so the argument would be we've chosen to strip our list back.

...and we're Carlton

No pick for you! :(

Reply #10
Let me tell you a story about Sam Newman:

In the 1970 or thereabouts, my late brother in law was driving to our house to visit my sister (this was before they got married/she got pregnant).  He had a near miss with a flash car and the driver got out and wanted to settle the matter with a bit of biffo.  It was Sam Newman.

My brother in law got out of his car and when Sam saw that Jim was almost a match in height and weight, he apologised, got back in his car and drove off. 

He is a weak prick and I wouldn't give a fat rat's clacker for his opinions or "analysis".
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball