Skip to main content
Topic: Titan Sub Debacle (Read 1128 times) previous topic - next topic

Titan Sub Debacle

This is going to turn into a crap strorm once the billionaires family get a hold of it. Sounds like it was disasster waiting to happen with many predicting it given the lack of checks and balances on this thing. How anyone can think using off the shelf items and xbox looking controllers for a sub down to 4km is a good idea is beyond me. Even sadder is the fact that the 19 year old didn't even want to go, he was only doing it for his father.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Titan Sub Debacle

Reply #1
Sounds like it was quick.
Imagine if they'd been waiting for three-four days knowing there was little chance of rescue and your oxygen slowly running out.

I've seen some pretty poor comment around them being very rich folks indulging in something beyond the reach of the average person, but in the end, they're now just folks who will never indulge in anything again...and the wealth is meaningless.

Reply #2
Sounds like it was quick.
Imagine if they'd been waiting for three-four days knowing there was little chance of rescue and your oxygen slowly running out.

I've seen some pretty poor comment around them being very rich folks indulging in something beyond the reach of the average person, but in the end, they're now just folks who will never indulge in anything again...and the wealth is meaningless.

There are reports they were dumping ballast and attempting to ascend as they were managing a problem. They reckon the thing may have started to delaminate before the implosion. The final act would have been milliseconds but they may have been aware of their fate for minutes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #3
This is going to turn into a crap strorm once the billionaires family get a hold of it.
The families are allegedly wailing on the rescuers / recue attempts, if they are then they have the complete wrong focus.

But cynically I'd say that it is more likely to be lawyers speaking, because they know the occupants all signed waivers, so there is no money to be made chasing the company, so tragedy turns into an instant profit making exercise against the authorities that tried to save the occupants!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
There are reports they were dumping ballast and attempting to ascend as they were managing a problem. They reckon the thing may have started to delaminate before the implosion. The final act would have been milliseconds but they may have been aware of their fate for minutes.
Not wanting to fuel the conspiracies.

If you were stuck down there and fading slowly with no hope of rescue, which would you prefer, dissolving into a stinking anaerobic sludge of leaking bodily fluids and bad gases, or a quick and merciful torpedo! ;)

If you are an authority, putting hundreds of people and millions or billions of dollars of resources at risk to rescue people who voluntarily put themselves at risk, which do you choose, the hopelessly slow rescue attempt or the quick and merciful depth charge?

I know what I'd want, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that system actually carrying it's own quick and merciful self-destruct mechanism, it wouldn't be any harder than rigging up the explosive mounts on an aircraft door.

Now some will take offense at the very suggestions I make, but you know the reality is the occupants decision was really being made before they went.

Astronauts have known this for decades, there is no rescue, there is no coming back if things go wrong, and there is no survival. As high as you can possible go or as low as you can get, the risk is the same.

If you want or expect someone to rescue you, do not go in the first place!

If you are going to do tough stuff, it comes with risk, ask Scott, ask Shackleton, check out the photography of Frank Hurley and the story of the Endurance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
I heard a bit of Dr Karl on the wireless yesterday and he was saying that the Titan didn't have the backup systems of similar submersibles operated by government agencies.  Backup systems may not be much use in the event of a catastrophic failure though.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
I heard a bit of Dr Karl on the wireless yesterday and he was saying that the Titan didn't have the backup systems of similar submersibles operated by government agencies.  Backup systems may not be much use in the event of a catastrophic failure though.
Agreed, the surplus gadgetry is often a bit of an adult pacifier, I think Monty Python put it best when they described the medical devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshyX6Hw52I
In having "a moment" at -3000m you're probably going to get just enough time to witness that Extra Big Red Bright Emergency Button fly right through your forehead!

I feel I've trivialised this tragedy a bit and I apologise if I offend.

I know we have some submariners here on the forum, and I don't want to sound disrespectful as it's a tragedy at sea, and we know the rules of the sea apply. You have to make an effort to rescue these people, you're obliged and compelled to make an effort morally and legally, but even so that doesn't mean the rescue was ever possible.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
50 plus White Guys out of favour again, seems to be a theme in this modern age. Experience and know how taking second place to " Insperation".....
Yep, and I doubt there would be many of those old white 50yo surprised by the outcome, it was probably only a matter of time.

Let's put this in perspective;
NASA Trillion$ Budget - Shuttle/s.
Ocean Gate Piddling Budget Not Worth Mentioning- Titan Sub.

Risk and recovery wise, not much difference between +400km or -4km!

Please think about this before you book your next Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk party ride!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
I read 1 article that stated that the viewing porthole was only rated to a depth of 1300m 😳
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #10
It takes an eternity to get there.

Reply #11
Motto: Shortcuts = trouble, and in this case, devastating trouble.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #12
https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/oceangate-ceo-wouldnt-hire-old-white-guys-because-they-werent-inspirational/news-story/af604e87ae7694b0b5ab0920bbaa5ca7

50 plus White Guys out of favour again, seems to be a theme in this modern age. Experience and know how taking second place to " Insperation".....

The 50+ white guys were probably too smart to take the job.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
It staggers me how much risk people are prepared to take in the pursuit of "adventure". What staggers me even more is the calibre of people who are prepare to take these risks. When you're a billionaire businessman (legitimate), I would imagine you're not a dill and due diligence is a big part of you day to day dealings. Same goes for the VP of an energy company. And yet, they were prepared to pay big bucks for the pleasure of walking in and being bolted into a flimsy, rudimentary piece of cobbled together equipment to be submerged to a depth of 4000m. I can't even process that. I fellow on one of the morning shows was an Aussie explorer and doctor who has been down to the Titanic wreck and knew the pilot of the Titan, he talked about dopamine levels etc of these types of people. The rush huh?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #14
Narcissism, overweening confidence and an exaggerated opinion of one's self worth and abilities.

I heard the phrase "male pale and stale" recently.  Other than being deeply offensive, those fifty old blokes mentioned earlier didn't get caught in under engineered death trap
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?