Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Werribee at Visy (Read 13259 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Werribee at Visy

Reply #15
What an dreadful last quarter. Our blokes lacked everything in the last stanza, in a game that was there for the taking. Werribee players seem to want it a whole lot more than our blokes in that last qtr. Horrible.

Thank god I had good company at the game and we were able to find the funny side of some of the dreadful errors/turnover - Ye Rat O' the River and I seemed to be on the same page re some of our observations of the game and certain players.

Watson. Yes, is a better forward than a defender but that is not praise!! ...(space here for RR comment!!)... 6 Marks (1 contested mark that nearly caused me to full from my seat in shock) 6 kicks and 1 handpass - at least he put his hands in the vicinity of the ball in marking contests on the forward line and contributed to a goal by failing to mark and letting it slip through his fingers to a teammate who goaled. Most of his 6 marks were taken in defense when he kept calling for the ball to be kicked backwards while he was on his own.

On a positive note... Wilson and Bransgrove were both good and looked like they gave a cr@p. No. 9 (forget who he is ... RR knows who he is...) was also good and knew how to get to where the ball was! 23rd player = Liam Hunt from Northern Knights

Wilkinson flashed in and out of the game and had a very good 3rd qtr.

Reckon the only Blues listed player who would deserve a call-up on today's effort would be Warnock - worked hard and probably won against a very good opponent (no idea who he is ...not in the program... No. 1 for Werribee). An opponent who was a similar height. I agree with Baggers - definitely the only listed player who could be considered for the next AFL round - and I would probably consider him if Sandilands is expected to play. Actually took quite a lot of marks around the ground today.

Yep, Cripps got a bit and will no doubt benefit from the run but boy he turned the ball over on a few occasions - two of those howlers resulted in goals to Werribee. Rusty.

Holman - disappointing. Off the pace for most of the game.

McInnes - shadow of his former self. Barely serviceable.

Reynolds - started well. Marked well and kicked a good goal... but faded.

Garlett - the long winded summary would be - ordinary!

Johnson - did some good things and worked hard but not as dominant as you would hope from a bloke wanting to get back into the firsts.

Armfield - busy but unimpressive.

Cachia - was he there? Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing him after the 1st quarter. That plus the injury to Buckley probably explains why Hunt got so much ground time.

Temay - did a couple of nice things when in the open by himself. At least he didn't turn it over!

Lucas - good grief! His ability to stuff up his disposals is impressive... don't be fooled by the number of possessions he got. He did, however, manage to get where the ball was - seems to be preparing himself for a return to WA.

Byrne - still learning but you can see the potential. Good size, moves well, skills coming along nicely.

Buckley went off early injured. Becoming a glass man.

Sheehan didn't play.

At the risk of being repetitive... that last qtr capitulation was simply painful to watch.

This game was played in pretty good conditions but the final quarter effort by the Blues was aimless, hopeless and spiritless. I could not believe how often the ball was kicked backwards into defense when the 3/4 time margin was so slender.

Reply #16
What an dreadful last quarter. Our blokes lacked everything in the last stanza, in a game that was there for the taking. Werribee players seem to want it a whole lot more than our blokes in that last qtr. Horrible.

Thank god I had good company at the game and we were able to find the funny side of some of the dreadful errors/turnover - Ye Rat O' the River and I seemed to be on the same page re some of our observations of the game and certain players.

Watson. Yes, is a better forward than a defender but that is not praise!! ...(space here for RR comment!!)... 6 Marks (1 contested mark that nearly caused me to full from my seat in shock) 6 kicks and 1 handpass - at least he put his hands in the vicinity of the ball in marking contests on the forward line and contributed to a goal by failing to mark and letting it slip through his fingers to a teammate who goaled. Most of his 6 marks were taken in defense when he kept calling for the ball to be kicked backwards while he was on his own.

On a positive note... Wilson and Bransgrove were both good and looked like they gave a cr@p. No. 9 (forget who he is ... RR knows who he is...) was also good and knew how to get to where the ball was! 23rd player = Liam Hunt from Northern Knights

Wilkinson flashed in and out of the game and had a very good 3rd qtr.

Reckon the only Blues listed player who would deserve a call-up on today's effort would be Warnock - worked hard and probably won against a very good opponent (no idea who he is ...not in the program... No. 1 for Werribee). An opponent who was a similar height. I agree with Baggers - definitely the only listed player who could be considered for the next AFL round - and I would probably consider him if Sandilands is expected to play. Actually took quite a lot of marks around the ground today.

Yep, Cripps got a bit and will no doubt benefit from the run but boy he turned the ball over on a few occasions - two of those howlers resulted in goals to Werribee. Rusty.

Holman - disappointing. Off the pace for most of the game.

McInnes - shadow of his former self. Barely serviceable.

Reynolds - started well. Marked well and kicked a good goal... but faded.

Garlett - the long winded summary would be - ordinary!

Johnson - did some good things and worked hard but not as dominant as you would hope from a bloke wanting to get back into the firsts.

Armfield - busy but unimpressive.

Cachia - was he there? Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing him after the 1st quarter. That plus the injury to Buckley probably explains why Hunt got so much ground time.

Temay - did a couple of nice things when in the open by himself. At least he didn't turn it over!

Lucas - good grief! His ability to stuff up his disposals is impressive... don't be fooled by the number of possessions he got. He did, however, manage to get where the ball was - seems to be preparing himself for a return to WA.

Byrne - still learning but you can see the potential. Good size, moves well, skills coming along nicely.

Buckley went off early injured. Becoming a glass man.

Sheehan didn't play.

At the risk of being repetitive... that last qtr capitulation was simply painful to watch.

This game was played in pretty good conditions but the final quarter effort by the Blues was aimless, hopeless and spiritless. I could not believe how often the ball was kicked backwards into defense when the 3/4 time margin was so slender.
  :-[  :-[  :-X  :'(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17

There is only 2 cm's height difference between Warnock and Wood.

Those 2cm's probably won't make too much of a difference.... or at least that is what I will tell myself.

Reply #18
If it hasn't already been posted.

Liam HUNT has a good pedigree.

Both Nick Dal Santo & Marcus Bontempelli are his cousins.

As well as Luke Stanton who was a rookie with us a few seasons back.

Worth keeping an eye on.

Can find the pill. Slightly built but will fill out with some gym time.

Reply #19
How many of those "quite a lot" of Warnock marks were contested marks?

Wood took a total of three or four contested marks in one game against blokes like Goldstein and Petrie!

Warnock hasn't taken three contested marks at AFL level in total in two or three seasons, and that includes against the start-up teams! Warnock is the hall of mirrors, the most disappointing and deflating ride at the show, I'd go as far as to label him a handbrake!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Funny how we looked a different side without Walker, MacLean and Walker.   Their replacements all played important roles... won't happen every week but you gotta wonder.

A non-contributing ruckman is a massive boat anchor.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21

There is only 2 cm's height difference between Warnock and Wood.

Those 2cm's probably won't make too much of a difference.... or at least that is what I will tell myself.

Warnock is like the top age bigger kid playing basketball...can monster the small younger kids and look like a million dollars but useless vs seasoned same age/size opponents.
Bailey and Hale did he job on Sandilands in the GF and Hale punished him around the ground by taking more marks...Wood and Casboult need to do similar.....like to see Wood float forward and make the giant chase him around with those dodgy feet...

Reply #22
Write up in the HS today saying Lucas had a standout game.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23

A lot of these reports are written by blokes using stats who don't even attend the games, I'd trust Baggers and RR in their assessment of Lucas' efficiency!

A better source of info than the main newspapers are the local papers, often they appoint report writers from each club to submit articles but they usually only surface later in the week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24

Think Baggers suggested that the stats are misleading and didnt rate his game.....another we need to fatten up for trade and play in the seniors...

Reply #25
I dunno, it's amazing how playing in that league can drag you down to it's level. That said, the last game Lucas played for us he squibbed it big time, multiple times, I can't see that ever changing TBH.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #26
I want players who squash opponents not pick them up!

The reason Robb is under such a pump is because we have too few of him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27

Howard Leigh is a pleasant elderly chap who seemingly provides VFL match reports as part of his retirement plan and reports what he is told.

Lucas was ineffective and had more kicks smothered or blocked than he hit targets ahead of him.

Reply #28
How many of those "quite a lot" of Warnock marks were contested marks? More than Watson had.

Wood took a total of three or four contested marks in one game against blokes like Goldstein and Petrie! Wood played very well around the ground (better than Warnock ever has) but was seriously outpointed by Goldstein in ruck contests.

Warnock hasn't taken three contested marks at AFL level in total in two or three seasons, and that includes against the start-up teams! Slight but understandable underestimation I would suggest - but it certainly isn't Robbie's strong point.

The Warnock of the past few weeks in the AFL has been poor and deserved to be dropped as much as Wood had earned a promotion.

Nonetheless, Warnock with the fire in the belly (don't laugh - it happens sometimes) is better in ruck contests than Wood.

Reply #29
"Six drops of the essence of Warnock
Five drops of sinister Wood.
add a tincture of Robbo"

and we might be able to mix up a tap ruck who can take marks around the ground and 'Monster' the opposition