Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 14: Pre Game Preparation: Carlton vs GWS (Read 16584 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 14: Pre Game Preparation: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #15
GWS were pretty ordinary versus CheatsFC, they won't do that again, but it shows you just how important Mumford and Johnson are to that side.

Plus, it looks to me like a few of their players are carrying injuries, add that to a potentially unfit Mumford or Johnson and it will make for an interesting game next weekend.

Would they rush back two 30 year olds for one game they think they will win, when they are only one week out from them having a three week mid-season rest? If they are planning for Sept no, if they are worried about form and fitness maybe.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
GWS were pretty ordinary versus CheatsFC, they won't do that again, but it shows you just how important Mumford and Johnson are to that side.

Plus, it looks to me like a few of their players are carrying injuries, add that to a potentially unfit Mumford or Johnson and it will make for an interesting game next weekend.

Would they rush back two 30 year olds for one game they think they will win, when they are only one week out from them having a three week mid-season rest? If they are planning for Sept no, if they are worried about form and fitness maybe.
Very true. Unfortunately, it will make things harder for us: they may ACTUALLY TAKE US MORE SERIOUSLY. Not sure we are ready for that yet.
It will make for interesting thoughts at GWS this week. :)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
I think we have battled quite valiantly for 3 months of this year, and that we are probably overdue for a bit of a flat spot that will last a few weeks minimum.

Lets not forget, I dont believe we have had a win after a buy since we started having them again.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18

Lets not forget, I dont believe we have had a win after a buy since we started having them again.

We beat Port at the 'G last year after our bye week   :D

Reply #19
^^

Oops.  Missed that one, but I think prior to that we have always been flat off the bye...

We shall see.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20
One piece of bad news from this week's Injury Update is that Armfield is out for probably 3 more weeks with a groin injury. He picked that up against St Kilda, but things were kept reasonably quiet until today. Not sure why, but we do appear to like playing ducks and drakes with selection news.

Murphy is not going as well as we had hoped and will not be available for probably 3 more weeks. That really hurts our midfield, which has been pretty ordinary since he went down.

With Armfield going out, the chances of Silvagni getting his 1st game re looking pretty good. He may not be the sort of player Armfield is, but he offers something we don't have a lot of at the moment: footy smarts. That said, the club may wait until next week at the MCG against the Meat Pies.
Then again, the cub may well decide to be ultra conservative and keep him in the VFL. If that is the case, then at least we will see him in TV! :)

Gorringe will probably make way for Phillips, who played extremely well last round in the VFL. Similarly, it is highly probable that Korchek will play for the NBs this week: another excellent reason to watch the game. :) He had 62 hit outs last time.

We BADLY need some work on our midfield set-up. Even with Phillips and Kreuzer going around, if we can't get the ball out of the middle we will be murdered. The last 2 weeks have been awful in the centre square.

Other changes are interesting possibilities: Jaksch and Liam Jones both showed a fair bit in the VFL, while Tutt has played some of his best football.
It will be interesting to see way the selectors jump.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
I think they have to play Tutt this week with Dennis going out, we desperately need some speed into the side, he offers this and is getting plenty of the pill in the 2's.

I would not like the club to "Blood" SOJ against the Pies....I don't want another "Jack Watts" incident against that mob...I reckon they would do it too...Pr..ks  >:(

Reply #22
I think they have to play Tutt this week with Dennis going out, we desperately need some speed into the side, he offers this and is getting plenty of the pill in the 2's.

I would not like the club to "Blood" SOJ against the Pies....I don't want another "Jack Watts" incident against that mob...I reckon they would do it too...Pr..ks  >:(
In can understand why you feel that way. SOJ is an 18 year old kid whose fitness is his biggest drawback. The club may decide to play safe: we don't really lose anything from it except the chance to see the future come to pass. Getting fitter and kicking more goals won't hurt him at all.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
I'd keep BOB in the twos for a while longer......rather play Buckley than Tutt....

Reply #24
In can understand why you feel that way. SOJ is an 18 year old kid whose fitness is his biggest drawback. The club may decide to play safe: we don't really lose anything from it except the chance to see the future come to pass. Getting fitter and kicking more goals won't hurt him at all.

As I have said probably far too many times recently, I don't think SOJ has the required match fitness yet.  However, I wouldn't hold him back for fear of a torrid reception.  He showed against Essendon in the NAB game that he can look after himself and is not afraid to fly the flag for his team mates.  I suspect that 2016 version of Carlton would look after SOJ a lot better than the 2009 version of Melbourne responded to the treatment of Watts.

Buckley and Tutt are the most likely replacements for Armfield and Tutt has the runs on the board in terms of VFL form.  The question is whether he can reproduce that form in the AFL.  I think we'll find out on Saturday.

Phillips has to be a monty to come in and Gorringe is the logical player to make way - unless he stays in as a tall forward.  Jones and Jaksch have to be in the frame for a recall but who would go out?  I think Walker and Everitt are safe.

The bloke I'd really like to see get a run is Billy Gowers, but I don't think that will happen just yet.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
I reckon you're a bit harsh on Tutt there Elwood, he's been busting his guts in the 2's all year, Dylan 1 game back from suspension after an undisciplined act...and his numbers aren't great in the 2's either.

Reply #26
Only just realized it is Gibbs' 200th.  I know he has many detractors,  but wish him all the best and I hope that the club lifts and wins for him in his milestone game.

Reply #27
I reckon you're a bit harsh on Tutt there Elwood, he's been busting his guts in the 2's all year, Dylan 1 game back from suspension after an undisciplined act...and his numbers aren't great in the 2's either.

Fair enough Crazy....I am a hard marker and while I take your point about Tutt playing well in the 2's I dont see much future in him and have mentally stamped his papers
not to be played in the seniors again. I guess vs GWS it probably wont make much difference who plays but I'd like to beat Collingwood and dont fancy having him in the team for that game...we will miss Armfield.

Reply #28
Only just realized it is Gibbs' 200th.  I know he has many detractors,  but wish him all the best and I hope that the club lifts and wins for him in his milestone game.

Yes, we need him at his best and a win would make his 200th more memorable.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #29
Congratulations to Gibbs on his 200th.
I hope he has a cracker like he did against the cats, and like Simmo/Jamo milestone game - we come away with the victory (nothing wrong with optimism - hey we've got nothing to lose). Would love to see Gibbs overwhelmed with Navy pride and joy like Simmo was.

Go Blues.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.