Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Read 18036 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Gold Coast

Reply #15
If it's a illiopsoas muscle, he's got it for the rest of the year, it won't get worse but it won't get better either.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
To replace Kennedy we also have a few decent options:

[1] Sam Kerridge: Sam's form has not been that great, but he did get a lot of the ball against the Tigers. He turned it over and dropped a couple of crucial marks, but he can snap a goal (his set shots are less reliable).
[2] Darcy Lang: Lang is going the play this weekend. The question is in which team. I would like him to come through the VFL, but we might take a risk. He is a senior play and would be a reasonable replacement.
[3] David Cuningham: Cunners still has some issues, especially on the defensive side of his game, but he was explosive out of the middle against Richmond and his kicking has the depth to get over the back. His form is quite decent.
[4] Nick Graham: Graham was probably our best mid the other night. He didn't get that much game time, but he got the ball and he used it very well. We know he doesn't have the pace we like, but he does get the ball.
[5] Cam Polson: No. he didn't have a good night in the middle and struggled to have an impact.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Thanks for that, I like hearing what the guys are doing in the VFL. For me it would be a choice between Cuningham and Kerridge. I don't think they will bring Lang straight in after missing most of the pre-season, and I'd be surprised if they go back to Graham ahead of Cuningham. It will depend if they feel we need an experienced player (Kerridge) or happy to play another youngster (Cuningham)

Reply #18
For Kennedy it's Cunningham or Graham for me, Kerridge is more of a stopper.

But the word I have is Kennedy could be OK to go with the 9 day break.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Excellent, I thought he showed plenty on Thursday before he hurt himself

Reply #20
Three guys who had seriously bad nights on Thursday were Jack Silvagni, Ciaran Byrne and Jacob Wetering. Even with the 2 probable forced changes, I would seriously consider dropping a couple o these guys.

Jack has been lackluster at best this season in the pre-season games and was ordinary on Thursday. He didn't get many possessions and his opponents generally tried to run off him because they knew they had him covered for speed. Jack has shown some real commitment in hi tacking and chasing, but this just wasn't seen this season so far. Richmond are known for their fanatical attack on the ball. Stephen Silvagni was known for his fanatical attack on the ball. That is the thing that we nee identifd to see from Jack.

At this point he is out-bodied too easily. He needs to work on this badly. He is known not to be quick. He needs to work on that. He doesn't need to win a Stawell Gift, but he does need that pace over a couple of metres that his dad had. He really needs that little sprint to break contact, or to grab his man in time instead of just too late. He needs to be working on his reaction time, as he reacts that little too slowly at the moment. I guess he is not confident at predicting where the ball is going.
There is nothing here that jack cannot fix, but he needs time in the VFL to develop his confidence and work on these skills.

Byrne I have discussed elsewhere. He needs a month or so to get his touch and his game awareness back.

Weitering is no dead loss, but he needs to work on his game as well. He is a good intercept marker, but he has to work on the other aspects of his game: that extra pace over a small distance to close on the lead and the body work. In the mean time we have to be better at selecting his opponent, as a guy who leads quickly is not it.
As much as I want him to be our key defender, I would not be disappointed to have him play a quarter or so in the forward line, especially if we don't have a good match-up at some point.

With Alex Silvagni and Sam Rowe coming back, we can match our defenders to the type of attackers the opposition has. I like Alex Silvagni, for his leadership and stability as well as his close checking. Sam Rowe is also a leader, even if he does make mistakes sometimes. They are close checking players. I am not sure that either will be ready this week, but both will be ready soon.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
I don't understand the hysteria re Weitering. He is 20 years old. He can play multiple roles in defense, he's smart, uses the ball well, and wins most 1 on 1 contests when they arise, he's a great reader of the ball. If I was on match committee he plays every game at this stage becuase he has shown that he will develop into an excellent defender, and he's doing enough to earn his place in the team (you need to look over a period of time, not just one game)

Reply #22
His weak physical approach ATM really worries me, getting outmarked by smaller players is simply not on.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #23
Confidence may be a bit down at the moment, let's see how he goes over the next few weeks

Reply #24
His weak physical approach ATM really worries me, getting outmarked by smaller players is simply not on.

There is no shame in getting out marked when you are caught out of position.  the issue was getting burnt going from offense to defense.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25

The weakness isn't in our defence, it's in our defensive run out of our own F50, and our poor ball use exiting our own D50.

Also, even before the Kennedy injury Thursday night our midfield mix was too slow, Cripps, Ed. Curnow, Kennedy and Kreuzer cannot all be in the midfield at the same time it's too slow if they don't win the football. It's like we back ourselves in to win and damn the consequences.

It's been a problem for a long time, Nthmond moved the ball too easily and quickly from their D50 into their F50. It wouldn't matter who they were up against let alone having to deal with Martin and Riewoldt, whose team-mates handed out blocks like they were shielding children from a terrorist and all of them not penalised!

On the replay in one incident when Nthmond were heading to the right of screen, the play is on the wing in the bottom left of the widescreen, in the top right about 50m away you see a small Nthmond forward make direct front on contact with Weitering who is standing Riewoldt, this is before the ball is even kicked let alone within the allowed distance. Riewoldt breaks free and the spud commentator, I think it was Ling yet again, takes a shiv to Weitering like he's bar of chocolate which popped up in front of him. Ling spewed out his usual anti-Carlton vitriol and ranted about how it wasn't good enough from Weitering. Emotional Carlton fans seem to lapped it up, because it's become the topic of discussion here, there and everyowhere!

Ling must want Weitering at Geelong, the last bloke he carried on about like that was Tuohy! ;)

At one stage one of the commentators had a rant about Weitering being beaten by a smaller player, it was Dustin Martin! What a forking moronic stance to take!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
There is no shame in getting out marked when you are caught out of position.  the issue was getting burnt going from offense to defense.

With his height and reach, he should've at least got a hand on it and brought it to ground. Sure, he probably would've lost the ground contest, but its better than surrendering the mark.

I can't help but think Liam Jones would've found a way to spoil....even if he ended up on his head afterwards which was his theme for the night.

Reply #27
The weakness isn't in our defence, it's in our defensive run out of our own F50, and our poor ball use exiting our own D50.

Also, even before the Kennedy injury Thursday night our midfield mix was too slow, Cripps, Ed. Curnow, Kennedy and Kreuzer cannot all be in the midfield at the same time it's too slow if they don't win the football. It's like we back ourselves in to win and damn the consequences.

It's been a problem for a long time, Nthmond moved the ball too easily and quickly from their D50 into their F50. It wouldn't matter who they were up against let alone having to deal with Martin and Riewoldt, whose team-mates handed out blocks like they were shielding children from a terrorist and all of them not penalised!

On the replay in one incident when Nthmond were heading to the right of screen, the play is on the wing in the bottom left of the widescreen, in the top right about 50m away you see a small Nthmond forward make direct front on contact with Weitering who is standing Riewoldt, this is before the ball is even kicked let alone within the allowed distance. Riewoldt breaks free and the spud commentator, I think it was Ling yet again, takes a shiv to Weitering like he's bar of chocolate which popped up in front of him. Ling spewed out his usual anti-Carlton vitriol and ranted about how it wasn't good enough from Weitering. Emotional Carlton fans seem to lapped it up, because it's become the topic of discussion here, there and everyowhere!

Ling must want Weitering at Geelong, the last bloke he carried on about like that was Tuohy! ;)

At one stage one of the commentators had a rant about Weitering being beaten by a smaller player, it was Dustin Martin! What a forking moronic stance to take!

Reply #28

At least he was pulled up by one of his colleagues and conceded that Martin is stronger.

Weitering was caught slightly out of position by quick ball movement and, once Martin had the prime spot, he had no chance of spoiling without giving away a free.  That’s the situation where your desperately hoping that one of your teammates will fly in from the side to spoil.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #29
It will be interesting to see how much lead the slosh in Cairns has put into the legs of the Suns players.

I thought the Suns' lifesaver colours were quite appropriate last night - there were nearly a couple of drownings on the field!
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?