Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Practice Match: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne (Read 3909 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 VFL Practice Match: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne

This game was set for 1100 at Port on Saturday, but is now being played at Cragieburn.  :o
Apparently they are worried about the surface at Port.  >:D I've always considered North Port Oval to be a hole: a mud hole.  >:D

The team has yet to be published, but should be stronger than last week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 VFL Practice Match: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne

Reply #1
Northern Blues FC
Northern Blues FC
@NBluesFC
·
4m
Instant response once more, Lisle gets his second. NB 41 PM 71.

This ^^^^ just posted on Twitter .
Anyone know if it's today's live score?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #3
Thanks Lods
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #4

A line-up with a few more names this week, but still some way from our best squad.

NORTHERN BLUES       2.4         4.5          6.6             10. 9. (69)

PORT MELBOURNE      3.1          7.7          11.11           14. 16. (100)

The last quarter was the only one we won. We were beaten on the outside: they had a lot of uncontested possession. Does this remind you of anything? It does me!

GOALS
Northern Blues: Silvagni 3, McKay 2, Kerr, Lebois, Palmer, Phillips, Williams

DISPOSALS
Northern Blues: Graham 27, Schumacher 21, Strachan 18, Wilson 18, O’Brien 14, Williams 14
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
That's 13 AFL listed players and 1 past AFL player, had their hat and coat handed to them by a non-AFL aligned club!

We should flip the teams, we could be dominant in the VFL and make craploads with huge VFL gates, well at least I think we'd be dominant I not fully committed about that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Another nice VFL review from Fraser.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-04-04/vfl-player-review-v-port-melbourne

Reads to me like Kerr is the only genuine prospect for this week, although we might see Phillips in Kreuzer's absence. Hard to tell after last weeks MC performance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
That's 13 AFL listed players and 1 past AFL player, had their hat and coat handed to them by a non-AFL aligned club!

We should flip the teams, we could be dominant in the VFL and make craploads with huge VFL gates, well at least I think we'd be dominant I not fully committed about that!

They are the reigning premiers, you forget that bit. Means every other club has too

Reply #8
Harry McKay
Stats: 13 disposals, 5 marks (2 contested), 2 goals
From the coach: I liked parts of his game — he competed as well as he has for a while, and he also took a number of contested marks in the air. Importantly, he got busy when the ball hit the deck. It was a step in the right direction for 'H', but the next challenge is building consistency.

Lochie O’Brien
Stats: 14 disposals, 5 handball receives
From the coach: I thought his game was really solid and promising. Some of the hard work he’s put into his running patterns were evident and I thought his efforts in the contest were strong. He’ll be looking to take another step this week.

Jack Silvagni
Stats: 11 disposals, 4 tackles, 3 goals
From the coach: I liked parts of his game as well: he played forward while also spending a quarter inside as a midfielder. It was important for him to hit the scoreboard through his leading patterns and competitive efforts on the ground. The way he played his role as a bigger bodied midfielder showed he is adding layers to his game which will fast-track his development

Reply #9
They are the reigning premiers, you forget that bit. Means every other club has too

Not just that, some of them are ex AFL draftees who haven't made it, and have gone on to do well at VFL level, or the names that we keep asking for to be recruited at AFL level such as Kahn Haretuku or Dylan Van Unen.

Eli Templeton - ex Saints
Robin Nahas - Ex Richmond/ex North
Matt Arnott - Ex Richmond
Lucas Cook - Ex Melbourne
Dillon Vjojo-Rainbow - Ex Carlton
Jordan Lisle - Ex Hawthorn/Brisbane

It also highlights, that youthful exuberance will only go so far, and experience will come to the fore eventually. 

Note:  I only added the names I have seen at AFL level.  Some of the other players might have been on AFL lists, or drafts and I just didnt recognise them!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
On the write up, I can see them promoting Rowe back sooner rather than later, and made a point of noting how vocal he was and the impact he had on the defense.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
Rowe's 8 hard ball gets is a tidy effort first game back, it tells you he was up to pace and competing with the opposition. Might be still a few games off AFL fitness and intensity though.

No doubt he wants to be an AFL player, there is nothing gray or borderline about his effort or commitment. He is the antithesis of some others on our list.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Rowe's 8 hard ball gets is a tidy effort first game back, it tells you he was up to pace and competing with the opposition. Might be still a few games off AFL fitness and intensity though.

No doubt he wants to be an AFL player, there is nothing gray or borderline about his effort or commitment. He is the antithesis of some others on our list.

...and apparently his voice and leadership was strong among the defenders also...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #13
On the write up, I can see them promoting Rowe back sooner rather than later, and made a point of noting how vocal he was and the impact he had on the defense.

...which is probably a significant void in the backline currently, with Doc missing. He was very vocal.

Reply #14
...which is probably a significant void in the backline currently, with Doc missing. He was very vocal.

It's interesting, from what I hear voice on an AFL field is a bit over-rated. It's important at training and during breaks in play, but on a ground like "The G" if there is any more than 60K fans going berserk the players cannot hear a thing in play. It seems reasonable, in the close games I have to lean across to hear my mates!

I think the thing we missed are primarily aggression, experience, structure and knowledge.
The Force Awakens!