Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 18738 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #120
Shaun Hampson was one of the best sprint testers at the draft combine.  He covered the ground well enough, but never looked quick.  I seem to recall Tom Bell was an elite runner, but couldnt run for 4 quarters.

Most fans judge players by how they look on the TV, it's not relevant.

Think The Hyphen, think Weitering, then think Cripps leaving a stoppage this season, they all appear to lumber but Cripps breakaways show you that when they are clear and decisive they look fine.

Most of being quick is about clear thinking and not hesitating. You can be the fastest player on earth but if you don't know what to do you'll like hesitant and slow crap!

You can be treacle across the ground but appear lightning fast, like Sam Mitchell! Mitchell was not reactive, he is proactive!

The good players by time, because with experience they force nearby opposition to hesitate, those micro-dumby sell that gives them the extra step buys them so much time. But it comes with experience and confidence.

What good would being fast be if you had to compete one out with Diesel, he'd have you charging off in one direction while he disposes in the other!

The greatest ever in my opinion was Leigh Matthews, never fast, but hard to pin down because he'd buy himself time and space like no other player I've ever seen. Couple that with some incredible core strength to deal with the odd tackle Dusty style and you have a Goliath of the game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
Also helps if you're not flat footed when you receive the ball.... that's asking for trouble!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #122
Also helps if you're not flat footed when you receive the ball.... that's asking for trouble!

Yep, fans bake the kicker on the Betts intercepts at the weekend, but the receiver stood flat footed waiting for the pill to arrive!

If I recall correctly, two of those caught flat footed were experienced defenders in Simmo and Rowe!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Yep, fans bake the kicker on the Betts intercepts at the weekend, but the receiver stood flat footed waiting for the pill to arrive!

If I recall correctly, two of those caught flat footed were experienced defenders in Simmo and Rowe!

Both played on the ground for larger percentages than even the highest Adelaide player (Jenkins) and are much older than him.

Effectively, tired minds, means poorer decisions, means reactive thinking, means flat footed because you are spent.

It's amazing what we will achieve by simply resolving our ability to rotate our key performers more frequently will achieve, and one of them will be to eliminate these basic errors.

Contrary to popular belief, the ability to execute difficult skills is not harder when tired.  You think harder about them, and are more careful when executing them so they pay off more frequently.  It's the basics that are likely to deteriorate when tired minds occur.  This is why Judd had variable Disposal efficiency.  He was tagged harder, and was often running flat stick when trying to execute the skills and the results varied more. 

Speed of mind to sum up a situation and make a decision is immeasurably more beneficial than to cover the ground quickly.

requoting myself to ensure people know what is important.  I saw a clip from 1998 this morning.  Match highlights of Carlton vs Adelaide at Optus Oval.  Lance, and Kouta feature prominently.  Obviously, having the athletic ability of Kouta gives you an immense advantage over opponents, but Whitnall was no less effective given his relative size and shape and thats because he had the sort of footy brain that Jack shows at times.  We still see it in patches, such as when he baulks, and delivers to Harry to advantage in forward 50.  Thats the ability to sum up the situation and know your limitations.  Not speed and athleticism.  From what I have heard he is no stranger to playing in the clinches, just not against seasoned competitors.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #124
If as a player you are flat footed at AFL level, at any time, you are most likely done like a dinner.

All the "slow AFL players" fans continually rant and rave about can all close gaps faster than 99.99% of the population, even our own!

There is a reason we languish on the bottom of the ladder, and there is a reason Nthmond run over sides late in games and sit near the top pf the ladder, and most of the relevant difference is unrelated to ability or fitness!

Another thing fans miss, is the bloke Betts run off unhindered to get to those contests!

Does anyone think our small forwards would get a free run at the ball while their direct opponent pressed forward looking for a cheap possession?

Another point of difference, go back to the replay and have a look at what Gallucci does to Rowe in the I think it was the Jenkins marking contest late in the game. Then do you best to find any Carlton small/medium forward doing similar!

The lack of sacrifice from Carlton players is astounding, they are all drowning and doing their best to stay afloat by standing on a team-mate!
The Force Awakens!