Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs Essendon (Read 13510 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs Essendon

Reply #30
Yep
The "Northern Blues" is a Sporting Team...
But the "Carlton Reserves" is (or would be) a development squad, where they're working on certain aspects of their game and game plans.
If the wins come that's good...but if they don't there is still a point and purpose that the players can concentrate on and gain satisfaction from.

And the Preston players do what exactly?
I'm OK with managing players with injury and trying players in different roles with an eye to the senior team but I believe that winning games is every bit as important for confidence and development as anything else, and that winning should always be a priority.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #31
I'm OK with managing players with injury and trying players in different roles with an eye to the senior team but I believe that winning games is every bit as important for confidence and development as anything else, and that winning should always be a priority.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
I think we see it even in our senior team....sides are selected with an eye to development rather than the win.

I coach in another sport and I'll use competitions with my young athletes to give them different experiences and development opportunities, with absolutely no thought to winning.

But I don't disagree that the wining experience is also important.

Reply #32
But I don't disagree that the wining experience is also important.

I'll go so far as to say that one of the biggest hurdles we have to jump as a club is to discard a losing mentality which has become ingrained, and that this mentality extends to supporters as well.
Plenty of people are happy with last night's result, but the game was there for the taking.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #33
Williamson, Graham and Macreadie were done well before 1/2 time but I thought the team played quite well until very late in the 3rd term.

Of the other listed players:
- Phillips was very very good early and clearly out-pointed Leuenberger in the ruck contests but lack of interchange options meant that he and Lobbe both stayed on the field most of the game and he definitely faded.
- By comparison, Lobbe looked quite good against the Essendon 2nd and 3rd string ruckmen but was uncompetitive against Leuenberger.
- De Koning had very limited time in the ruck but already looks like a better key forward than McKay and Kerr did last year.
- Schumacher was not as impressive as he was against Frankston but still looks like a likely player.
- JGM has only improved very slightly since his first season
- Shaw has played more than 100 AFL games, which just goes to show how poor GC were - he belongs behind Mullett and O'Shea in the pecking order and some of his turnovers were very costly when the game was still close.
- Garlett looks the goods but does not work hard enough - especially when he doesn't have the ball
- Hard to believe Polson couldn't get more of the ball - I guess he was waiting for someone to give it to him b/c he didn't seem to want to try and get it himself
- SOJ can do some useful things in congested areas and seems to have decent endurance and work rate but he doesn't seem to have the speed to actually get to enough contests and certainly seems unable to separate himself from an opponent when playing forward-

Of the Preston lads:
- Penrith was noticeable with his speed and intensity, with and without the ball
- Palmer frequently got on his hands on the ball in marking contests and actually managed to hold on to several marks
- Blakey looks unfashionable but he doesn't lack for courage, intensity and daring

I like De Konning. He looks like he can be like the likes of Salmon, McKernan, Tippett (earlier on in his career), Hale etc, and play well as both a key forward and and ruck. Be a winner if he can turn out even close to a couple of those. Given McKay is on target to scoring 40 goals from his first 20 games, to be better would terrific.

Reply #35
Josh Kennedy scored 11 in his first 22 games......

A bloke called Fevola might have stolen some of his limelight though.

Reply #36
I'll go so far as to say that one of the biggest hurdles we have to jump as a club is to discard a losing mentality which has become ingrained, and that this mentality extends to supporters as well.
Plenty of people are happy with last night's result, but the game was there for the taking.

You won't get an argument from me about winning at senior level.
I can cop a 'reserves' side doing the development thing...that's what it's for, but I'm 100% with you in terms of producing the wins in the senior side
That's not to say we don't try players, a couple at a time, for the purpose of exposing them to the expectations when they reach that senior level.

Reply #37
same thing they do at every other vfl team.  Each club has a list of 42.  At any given moment, five players are generally unavailable for selection be it injured,  suspended or simply ruckman number 3, 4 or 5 (being conservative).  add one listed emergency,  and you have a maximum 17 odd players for a vfl team give or take a couple.   That means 8 blokes come from nowhere to fill in the rest.

I don't disagree with any of that, but we are hardly picking our side most likely to win at AFL level and have one eye firmly on the future.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
I don't disagree with any of that, but we are hardly picking our side most likely to win at AFL level and have one eye firmly on the future.

Who would we promote from the VFL if we were picking teams to win?
The side we had on the park last night against Geelong was very close to the best we had available.

Reply #39
Who would we promote from the VFL if we were picking teams to win?
The side we had on the park last night against Geelong was very close to the best we had available.

Not so much now, but we have gone with other players instead of kerridge and Graham.

Mullet might have been the difference between winning and losing instead of Cunningham.

Patrick Kerr or jack Silvagni?

We don't have many mature aged players who are more likely to hold their own than kids but when the decision is there to be made we are choosing youth as a priority.

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
Not so much now, but we have gone with other players instead of kerridge and Graham.

Mullet might have been the difference between winning and losing instead of Cunningham.

Patrick Kerr or jack Silvagni?

We don't have many mature aged players who are more likely to hold their own than kids but when the decision is there to be made we are choosing youth as a priority.

Kerridge, Graham, Rowe, O'Shea and Mullet all played against Melbourne.

Reply #41
- SOJ can do some useful things in congested areas and seems to have decent endurance and work rate but he doesn't seem to have the speed to actually get to enough contests and certainly seems unable to separate himself from an opponent when playing forward-

What was the break down percentage wise for Silvagni midfield/forward

Reply #42
Kerridge, Graham, Rowe, O'Shea and Mullet all played against Melbourne.

Rowe and o Shea are still playing and everyone on this forum thought Graham was one of our better players last week.  He got dropped anyway.

Paul Hewson

Reply #43
Rowe and o Shea are still playing and everyone on this forum thought Graham was one of our better players last week.  He got dropped anyway.

Hopefully Kerridge and O'Shea aren't far behind him.