Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 24447 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #30
Another abysmal display. It  was embarrassing.  They were alternating between 17 and 16 players on the ground in the last and actually looked prepared to run more while our blokes were happy to job around chasing arse. So many passengers still getting a game due to our lack of depth.
Oh and thanks to the umps for really driving the dagger in. Pathetic display.
I was extremely surprised to see the frees 22 23 in their favour. I was expecting it to be very lop sided. Its where they are paid that counts I guess.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
when does our pre season start  (real preseason).

Reply #32
I've changed my mind.
I think we'll now ask and receive one.
GC will get one too.
The AFL have to step in because these results affect the brand.
Good tight contests all weekend would have had them excited.... and now Carlton and GC step in and spoil the week.
Something will have to happen regarding free agency too.
We cant continue to have the best players going to the top clubs or this vast gap that already exists between top and bottom will grow even wider.

Absolutely we will get one.
Where is the question. 19 won’t make a lot of difference.
9 would be handy.
2 would be great but will not happen.

Free agency is easy to fix, the club receiving the players should give up a draft pick, not the balance of the competition.

Reply #33
His time may well be up, but that's not relevant to the discussion. 18 Sam Rowes are not not better than 12 Josh Kellys.

18 Mark Murphys are not better than 12 Josh Kelly’s

Reply #34
Absolutely we will get one.
Where is the question. 19 won’t make a lot of difference.
9 would be handy.
2 would be great but will not happen.

Free agency is easy to fix, the club receiving the players should give up a draft pick, not the balance of the competition.
I don't understand how we can ask for one after the CEO came out and categorically stated we will not ask. I look forward to hearing him explain his way out of that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35
That's it in a nutshell.
Even allowing for our injuries, and they are significant, our list is paper thin and still needs major work, no team can carry so many sub standard players into a game against a good side and expect to be competitive.
We'll pick up one top class player at this year's draft which will help but we're still half a dozen short.
The next two years will be the biggest test of our recrukting.

Yes agree. I think we've all underestimated the enormity of the task ahead - maybe even the club.

Reply #36
Kelly has great support, you look at Kennedy and Lang today and they are not up to it vs decent opposition, Cripps tried hard and Dow showed he has the goods when he has the footy and breaks away but its slim picking after that....when you have Obrien having to pick up Tomlinson on the wing its not a contest anymore.

Reply #37
I've changed my mind.
I think we'll now ask and receive one.
GC will get one too.
The AFL have to step in because these results affect the brand.
Good tight contests all weekend would have had them excited.... and now Carlton and GC step in and spoil the week.
Something will have to happen regarding free agency too.
We cant continue to have the best players going to the top clubs or this vast gap that already exists between top and bottom will grow even wider.

I live interstate Lods. The AFL media this week sent this message. "It's such a tight competition" (pat thyself on the back).
I had a wager with a friend about how many tight games there would be (the cynic in me bet that all but us/GC would be).
Surprise surprise. Look what's unfolding. (Saints aside).

FWIW I had a wager with the same person a couple of years ago when Bulldogs were down. Mr maggiliggy told the afl world his greatest wish was for the Dogs to bring home a flag. I bet they'd win in the next 2 seasons. They did. Now I'm no Nostradamus but there's some fine coincidence in this here competition.

Agree with those touting system changes. Our mate MM repeatedly highlighted this in the media some 6 or so years ago. He called it a 2 tier system, and I wholeheartedly agreed. I don't want the buy a flag system back at Carlton (perhaps we're the exception atm  ::). I do want some equity across clubs. Geelong are the finest example of getting what others can't get. The infuriating part for mine Is, it's so blatant yet accepted. I can't figure it out. If we don't get a pp then no team should. EOS.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #38
That's it in a nutshell.
Even allowing for our injuries, and they are significant, our list is paper thin and still needs major work, no team can carry so many sub standard players into a game against a good side and expect to be competitive.
We'll pick up one top class player at this year's draft which will help but we're still half a dozen short.
The next two years will be the biggest test of our recrukting.

As has been the past 3. Do you really trust our blokes to get it right? Most of the cr@p traded in over the past 3 years has been a big fail. But wonderful favours to other clubs.

Yes, list shallowness and injuries contribute but the spiritless effort from the start (there have been many this year, actually) suggests bigger problems in other areas.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
Kelly has great support, you look at Kennedy and Lang today and they are not up to it vs decent opposition, Cripps tried hard and Dow showed he has the goods when he has the footy and breaks away but its slim picking after that....when you have Obrien having to pick up Tomlinson on the wing its not a contest anymore.
Their running power was on display for all to see today. Kelly is jet, 3, 8 and 2 don't go to bad either.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
I don't understand how we can ask for one after the CEO came out and categorically stated we will not ask. I look forward to hearing him explain his way out of that.

He should be sacked for saying but that’s a whole other issue.
Whether he said it or not, the AFL can’t keep this facade up. There is nothing even about the competition and in the last 6-8 years they have made it less so.

Reply #41
He should be sacked for saying but that’s a whole other issue.
Whether he said it or not, the AFL can’t keep this facade up. There is nothing even about the competition and in the last 6-8 years they have made it less so.
Can the AFL go to Carlton and hand over a PP over without us asking?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
Their running power was on display for all to see today. Kelly is jet, 3, 8 and 2 don't go to bad either.

Yep...we looked really slow, no run from the backline and Whitfield really carved us up breaking the lines....that kid can really play and his disposal on the run is some of the best I have seen.

Reply #43
We won't get a PP even if we ask, we did this to ourselves deliberately.

GC are the  opposite, they have a core of experienced players and are losing many of their best young players, yet they are as bad if not worse than us. They'll get a PP for sure which will devalue our later picks.

The system makes it almost impossible to get off the bottom.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Yep...we looked really slow, no run from the backline and Whitfield really carved us up breaking the lines....that kid can really play and his disposal on the run is some of the best I have seen.

Dead set jet.