Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 15 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 5300 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 15 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #15
Martin looks cooked along with some others on our list unfortunately for us
Honey has to be strongly considered but also understand one more week in the VFL is ok with me.

Kemp and Honey ins. Martin and Durdin out and age profile against Freo should be very low.

Reply #16
I think Honey needs to come in.  Has a very happy knack of getting to the right places at the right time.  Probably replaces Corey Durdin, who has lost a bit of mojo over the past 2-3 weeks. 

Obvious replacement for Martin. Honey is one of those blokes who makes things happen from limited opportunities. Got a bit of mongrel -- also Stocks, who could also return -- and we like that!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
 Was totally against Mirkov getting a look in this year but I think we need to take a few risks given the fact that the cupboard is bare!!  We have been getting very little out of DeKoning, JSOS has been more effective.  Mirkov to just contest, DeKoning to go to half back ( as get some lessons from his brother beforehand!!)  Or JSOS to half back and DeKoning as the 3rd tall up forward, assisting in the ruck!!

Reply #18
Was totally against Mirkov getting a look in this year but I think we need to take a few risks given the fact that the cupboard is bare!!  We have been getting very little out of DeKoning, JSOS has been more effective.  Mirkov to just contest, DeKoning to go to half back ( as get some lessons from his brother beforehand!!)  Or JSOS to half back and DeKoning as the 3rd tall up forward, assisting in the ruck!!
I think Mirkov has to come in. We've been well beaten in the ruck for some weeks now, no matter how de Koning and Jack have tried. As a tactic, teams are now aware of it and have taken that into consideration.
I would prefer to have Mirkov learn his trade in the 2's, but we need to do something different, especially against the Dockers who have two strong ruckmen.
The small forward issue is a conundrum indeed. Phelp didn't kick any goals on the weekend, but he did get 20 possessions and wasn't bad. Similarly, Honey managed 4 goals and was dangerous. Both are that bit taller and stronger in the air, which makes our forward line that bit more unpredictable.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
You cannot pick a team with a tape measure.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Think you have to look at the opposition and where their strengths are and try and matchup accordingly, Darcy and Lobb are a big part of why Freo are going so well. Their midfield is very good but its fed by Darcy, and Lobb while not a great ruckman is a threat up forward because of his size and he does kick straight. The TDK/Jack partnership have over achieved but TDK is being asked to do a lot and Jack isnt getting the second stringers anymore as teams are playing their best ruckman more often when he is relieving TDK....its not working as it did and we need to change it up just like we cant leave Young stranded down back looking after Taberner and Lobb given he is the only real tall defender we have.

Reply #21
Think you have to look at the opposition and where their strengths are and try and matchup accordingly, Darcy and Lobb are a big part of why Freo are going so well. Their midfield is very good but its fed by Darcy, and Lobb while not a great ruckman is a threat up forward because of his size and he does kick straight. The TDK/Jack partnership have over achieved but TDK is being asked to do a lot and Jack isnt getting the second stringers anymore as teams are playing their best ruckman more often when he is relieving TDK....its not working as it did and we need to change it up just like we cant leave Young stranded down back looking after Taberner and Lobb given he is the only real tall defender we have.
Watched the 2nds game on Friday night and was impresed by Mirkov with a couple of things that he did, a volloyball swat at the ball to knock it out of bounds, and a gather and handball over the pack to a free teammate, however apart from those  2 highligts he did not do much else. Personally I think he is still 12 -18 months away from been ready for his AFL debut.

Reply #22
You can lose a game by ignoring one.

Reply #23
Darcy and Lobb are a big part of why Freo are going so well.
I understand @ElwoodBlues1‍ , but at this stage Mirkov would be a traffic cone to them in the midfield and mostly useless elsewhere on the field. I'd rather play SoJ as a 2nd ruck and have Kemp in D50 and I'm not even sure Kemp is a defender of any note, but at least he can play some useful role across the field.

Last night Mirkov played against a guy who basically barely got a gig because his club's ruck division was then in worse state than our current defence situation, and Mirkov just broke even!

Expecting Mirkov to come in and not actually be a handicap is unreasonable, he may even get in our way more than he helps! Of course I hope I am completely wrong and he comes in and earns a Rising Star nomination!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
I think with the ruck situation, TDK is competing admirably virtually playing a lone hand. This year will be huge for his development and will come out the other side a far better ruckman. SOS has given him a chop out but realistically isn't anywhere near even a second string ruckman. I think MIrkov, even with his limited experience, is huge and will at least get his hands close to the ball and give the opposition ruckman something to think about. Again abit like the TDK situation, give him a taste for the sake of his development and necessity, it can't hurt given where we are.
Martin must go out injured or not.
Durdin must stay in, IMO it's Owies spot in the side that would be under more scrutiny.
It will come down to match ups I guess, it will be interesting to see if the two big WA bulls in Cripps and Fyfe go head to head, what a sight to see.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
Owies is doing ok.  I know he didn't have the highlights last week, but you can't simply drop a bloke at the first sign of trouble.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
I understand @ElwoodBlues1‍ , but at this stage Mirkov would be a traffic cone to them in the midfield and mostly useless elsewhere on the field. I'd rather play SoJ as a 2nd ruck and have Kemp in D50 and I'm not even sure Kemp is a defender of any note, but at least he can play some useful role across the field.

Last night Mirkov played against a guy who basically barely got a gig because his club's ruck division was then in worse state than our current defence situation, and Mirkov just broke even!

Expecting Mirkov to come in and not actually be a handicap is unreasonable, he may even get in our way more than he helps! Of course I hope I am completely wrong and he comes in and earns a Rising Star nomination!
I think you are misreading the situation.

Nobody is expecting him to dominate the ruck. TBH, i'm not even expecting him to break even......but i just hope he can get very close too.

The benefit of taking a hit in the ruck, is it gives us some chance of getting some height/talent in the backline and ultimately give us a chance of holding them to a reasonable score.

Simply having the ability to have TDK sitting in the hole for a game immediately makes us a better side.
He can intercept mark if the high ball comes in and he will force leads to go wide to the boundary, resulting in poorer shots on goal, and lesser conversion.
Its not about him becoming a dominant back, its giving them some hope.

Having a telephone pole who can jump being somewhat of a sacrificial lamb in the ruck allows all this to happen.

Hey, if Mirkov breaks even in the ruck. Bonus.
If he wins it, brilliant!
All we need is someone to try and compete in the ruck.

If we could use a wacky waving, inflatable arm flailing tube man, i would!
FWIW....one of these guys....
https://www.youtube.com/v/rHXvMcLrLSY

Reply #27
Mirkov barely broke even against Sweet in the ruck. I don't think we need to rush him - coming along nicely but he is a big bloke and needs another pre season imo

Reply #28
Whatever we do it needs to maximise our current strengths whilst covering the weaknesses. Matchups will be vital IMO.

Switkowski out may be helpful. Fredricks is a tricky matchup. Not sure how Fyfe will influence their set up. With a bit of luck, dare I use that word, it creates a temporary readjustment that we can take advantage of. As we know, games can be really set up q1.

Creativity by mc and coaches, may just give us an edge against an in form freo. As may playing at home. I hope their neighbour Nathan22 isn't umpiring. Although he was good recently he crucified us in WA last year.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #29
Watched the 2nds game on Friday night and was impresed by Mirkov with a couple of things that he did, a volloyball swat at the ball to knock it out of bounds, and a gather and handball over the pack to a free teammate, however apart from those  2 highligts he did not do much else. Personally I think he is still 12 -18 months away from been ready for his AFL debut.
He probably isnt ready but as Krud pointed out in his post(26) expectations are low and its more to allow TDK to fill that hole down back and also provides TDK with some type of proper rest after banging bodies with Darcy and Lobb .
We all love Jack and he has been great but as what happened with Shaun Grigg teams began to change tactics and took advantage of the size difference by playing either two genuine rucks or rucking their senior rucks against him and apart from the obvious losing the ruck contests there is a fair chance Jack will get hurt vs the giants like Darcy and we are doing a young man like TDK no favours either by asking him to play so many minutes onball and its denying us of his abilities down forward as well.
Players often lift when playing senior footy and I think Mirkov might be similar to Ned Reeves of Hawthorn who was very raw but has acquitted himself well at senior level..