Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 15 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 5301 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 15 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #30
You know...for all of the worries about our defensive woes...we haven't had a 100 points or over kicked against us in any game this year.
It'll probably come but so far, so good.

Reply #31
Mirkov barely broke even against Sweet in the ruck. I don't think we need to rush him - coming along nicely but he is a big bloke and needs another pre season imo
I rate Sweet. His best is pretty good. He hasn't got a lot of time at the Dogs and he isn't consistent, but his best is much better than most of his opponents at VFL level. I was quite happy that Mirkov broke even with him.
Another guy I rate is Sam Hayes at Port. He has similar issues to to TDK, in that he isn't hugely strong, but he is a ruck on the rise. Both he and TDK will be better in the dry. At the moment, the bull-type ruck has the advantage. Pitto is our only bull.
Darcy is a bull, which puts TDK at a big disadvantage. Tom couldn't get on top of him last year when Darcy wasn't playing so well. While Tom has improved, his confidence is not what it was a couple of weeks back. Against Sydney he could do little wrong.
With the game at Marvel, Tom will play better: the conditions suit him more. But Jack hasn't been able to influence things. I'd bring in Mirkov: he has that extra reach that spoils Darcy's ability to direct the ball. He can also out-jump Lobb. The dry track also helps him.
If the game were at the MCG, I don't think I'd try him. He doesn't have the ability to out-body his opponents yet. But the dry track gives him a better chance.

I'd be tempted tp play Silvagni in defence against Taberner. I don't think he's the man to play on Lobb. I don't think Kemp is either. Lobb has that extra height, but struggles against physical opponents. We don't have any uninjured.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32
I rate Sweet. His best is pretty good. He hasn't got a lot of time at the Dogs and he isn't consistent, but his best is much better than most of his opponents at VFL level. I was quite happy that Mirkov broke even with him.
Another guy I rate is Sam Hayes at Port. He has similar issues to to TDK, in that he isn't hugely strong, but he is a ruck on the rise. Both he and TDK will be better in the dry. At the moment, the bull-type ruck has the advantage. Pitto is our only bull.
Darcy is a bull, which puts TDK at a big disadvantage. Tom couldn't get on top of him last year when Darcy wasn't playing so well. While Tom has improved, his confidence is not what it was a couple of weeks back. Against Sydney he could do little wrong.
With the game at Marvel, Tom will play better: the conditions suit him more. But Jack hasn't been able to influence things. I'd bring in Mirkov: he has that extra reach that spoils Darcy's ability to direct the ball. He can also out-jump Lobb. The dry track also helps him.
If the game were at the MCG, I don't think I'd try him. He doesn't have the ability to out-body his opponents yet. But the dry track gives him a better chance.

I'd be tempted tp play Silvagni in defence against Taberner. I don't think he's the man to play on Lobb. I don't think Kemp is either. Lobb has that extra height, but struggles against physical opponents. We don't have any uninjured.
Jordan Sweet is the type of backup ruck we should pursue if the Dogs were looking to move him on, he is reasonably physical and has Pittonet type qualities in that he competes well without being a worldbeater and its surprised me why he hasnt been paired with English more and the Dogs have gone with Martin and now Schache who has no idea in the ruck imo.
Lobb is a shizen ruckman but will bully smaller defenders, he is big unit at 206cm and 106kg and imo Young will have to take him and leave Taberner who is a better footballer to one of our other defenders who will also be giving away plenty of size and weight unless TDK is employed down back and can take Lobb and Darcy when they rotate.

Reply #33
Jordan Sweet is the type of backup ruck we should pursue if the Dogs were looking to move him on, he is reasonably physical and has Pittonet type qualities in that he competes well without being a worldbeater and its surprised me why he hasnt been paired with English more and the Dogs have gone with Martin and now Schache who has no idea in the ruck imo.
I get the interest in Sweet, but didn't the Dogs have him behind Lewis Young in the backup ruck pecking order?

Is someone who is displaced by Schache as a ruck a viable option?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
I get the interest in Sweet, but didn't the Dogs have him behind Lewis Young in the backup ruck pecking order?

Is someone who is displaced by Schache as a ruck a viable option?
Sam Jacobs was displaced by Robbie Warnock and Shaun Hampson once upon a time.

Reply #35
Either J Sweet or L. Meek at Freo, should be pursed both reliable & workable Ruck options ,  together with Pitto will resolve a massive problem for us, strengthen our midfield immediately and alleviate pressure on our Defense.
TDK could help in as KPD or KPF ,it’s  absolutely urgent that Curly Jnr looks into bring in a mature body Ruck support.

Reply #36

Sauce was one of a number of talented players that we didn't utilise well - no wonder he went home to SA.

Reply #37
So we should pick them all just in case, obviously that is untenable!

I didn't read a single forum member on here positively mention Sweet when we were into Young, and both Sweet and Young have been in the system playing together since 2018.

No matter which one we pick up, some will assert in hindsight it should have been the other, some will assert it in advance! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
Taberner likely to come back in for them and if they go with Logue up forward it'll be nigh on impossible to man them up when Lobb is playing forward too. Probably means that Kemp just plays down back by necessity.

Is it time to throw Mirkov in? JSOS has got no chance against Lobb and is better served either as a 3rd tall or even playing behind the ball. Mirkov might not do much else other than be nuisance value but rucking JSOS just takes him away from being where he's most effective...and that's not a knock on how hard he works when asked to ruck either.

Reply #39
People are always worried about the bad stuff, they tend to see the worst case all the time.

If Freo load up on talls to "take advantage" of our bad tall defender situation, they better hit targets, because if the pill hits the deck they won't stop Saad, Doc, LoB and Boyd, even Durdin and Owies, streaming it out of our D50 almost unhindered! All we need is to ensure we have the pressure on in the midfield to affect those disposals entering our D50!

Swings and Roundabouts, there is always a way!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
People are always worried about the bad stuff, they tend to see the worst case all the time.

If Freo load up on talls to "take advantage" of our bad tall defender situation, they better hit targets, because if the pill hits the deck they won't stop Saad, Doc, LoB and Boyd, even Durdin and Owies, streaming it out of our D50 almost unhindered! All we need is to ensure we have the pressure on in the midfield to affect those disposals entering our D50!

Swings and Roundabouts, there is always a way!
Last time we had our hands full with their smalls and Schultz was all over our small defenders who were caught out off their man kick chasing, we would want to do a better job this time manning them up.
They also have Fyfe back in the team who gives them another big mid and marking target, we would want be a lot more careful with our matchups than we were vs Collingwood and Richmond. This is a winnable game being at Marvel and imo the only way we will lose is to put some of our more risky players on some of their better players.

Reply #41
So we should pick them all just in case, obviously that is untenable!

I didn't read a single forum member on here positively mention Sweet when we were into Young, and both Sweet and Young have been in the system playing together since 2018.

No matter which one we pick up, some will assert in hindsight it should have been the other, some will assert it in advance! ::)
Who is suggesting its either/or?

Sweet is a ruck.
Young is a back....who played a bit in the ruck due to a need.

FWIW, i haven't suggested we draft Sweet, i haven't said we shouldn't.
I've made my stance pretty clear that we have a severe lack of KPPs and would welcome anyone who could hold their own and stay out on the park.

Reply #42
I am really hoping for some post-bye lethargy from Freo.  They weren't that great against an undermanned Hawks team, and I am expecting that anything Lobb and Tabberner can produce will be significantly less than H and Charlie.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #43
I am really hoping for some post-bye lethargy from Freo.  They weren't that great against an undermanned Hawks team, and I am expecting that anything Lobb and Tabberner can produce will be significantly less than H and Charlie.
This is where we win the game if we can generate enough supply, Harry and Charlie are our trumps, we probably need more output from our small forwards to match the Freo group who stitched us up last time.

Reply #44
This is where we win the game if we can generate enough supply, Harry and Charlie are our trumps, we probably need more output from our small forwards to match the Freo group who stitched us up last time.

I suspect sides will attempt to replicate the Tiggers against us, firstly significantly reduce the impact of our midfield - supply. Then a focus on backline defense/tactics to limit impact. Side benefit of more inside 50s for them.

Losing Cerra was a blow and Bam Bam being a whisker below best (still good, though) and Fisher just too light when he goes into the midfield has proven problematic (and of course, Pitto). A Carroll or Hayes might need to come in.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17