Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 18: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 13403 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 18: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #60
We have a reasonably good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game is played on grass...lol.

Reply #61
I saw the piece on 360 as well by David King showing the zone defence fall apart against the Hawks as they chipped the ball sideways and around to maintain possession. Our players switched opponents as they tried to keep the zone intact but the Hawks picked it apart and it fell in a heap leaving Breust with an easy snap for goal.
Please leave the zone plan at the airport Bolts....

Reply #62
I guess both Levi and Vickery promised much and delivered little.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63
Weird maybe, but I always thought he could be our next Earl Spalding

Reply #64

While I cannot be described as a Levi booster, he's still a Carlton player so I support him and hope he does well.

I never understood how Vickery got such a free media ride, his numbers are far worse than Levi! Then we all found out he was a business partner with King, and most likely in partnership with many of King's associates!

I often ponder if there is a reason Dusty gets such favourable media coverage, tribunal and umpiring outcomes, it's just a little doubt!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
x2 Sad we hitched our wagon  to Levi with the thought he would deliver , though plenty of heart, some of those goals he missed , shudder at the thought now , they hurt there were times when we were pressing and just mentally let down time & time again , must have effected players as well. Maybe not consciously but damage done

Reply #66
Pick 44 in a rookie draft, a draft where very few key forwards have ever succeeded. You're not getting Nick Riewoldt with that type of pick. You're lucky to get one game from those types let alone 100. Given his limitations he did the job filling the gap between losing Henderson/Waite and the younger ones developing as well as giving fine support in the ruck. Took him a few years to get on the main list and even then, outside of VFL Finals, where he excelled, he didn't have a great VFL career and may have been lucky to be around. Even then got a game because we got crippled with injury. Given where we picked him from he did better than we thought and did a reasonable job at the right time when he was needed. It's time now we go with McKay instead but I was happy he was around.

Reply #67
That type of guy can give you a sense of false hope. While he is wearing our colours I will support him every inch, but I think he has been a weight on the team and we would have been better off cutting him loose a while ago, and looking for a proper mentor for our young forwards.

Reply #68
Other than an early game and that game against the whorks where he kicked four and rucked all day,  been waiting for this bloke to have a day out,  kick a bag, grow confidence and silence the critics.   But all we ever got was the odd goal here and there,  some awful misses and ever more ammunition for the critics.   Unfortunately he never seemed to be able to get to that next level.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #69
That type of guy can give you a sense of false hope. While he is wearing our colours I will support him every inch, but I think he has been a weight on the team and we would have been better off cutting him loose a while ago, and looking for a proper mentor for our young forwards.

That has always been my argument, the price you pay for carrying a Levi type player is significant in my opinion, maybe I am wrong but our results and team mindset seem to subjectively support that perspective.

Levi gives everybody a lift when he does well, but most of the time he is better described by the term deflating, and he has too many bad habits or traits to pass onto the kids! The worry for me, if those traits are passed onto our kids and become habits I'm not sure they can be easily undone if at all!

When I see McKay hanging out the back of the marking contest, looking for a soft mark or cheap goal, it makes my skin crawl! McKay wasn't like that when he arrived, but it seems to have become his preferred mode of operation lately! I'd rather Kerr leading up the guts taking no prisoners and not having the ball kicked to him, than see McKay roving cheap goals off the back of a Wright, SPS or Lamb marking contest!

Even McKay's highlight against Carlilse the other week, he was praised by many for that run. But reality is it came off a weak approach to the football, holding back allowing the footy to bounce, followed by an explosion of pace once the ball hit the ground. Why not just make the effort to get to the drop and mark it in the first place, the Johnathon Brown play instead of the Eddie Betts! Perhaps he was just too late, perhaps hesitated, perhaps he decided he couldn't get to the fall of the ball, well at least I hope that was the case and not the alternative!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
I feel a bit sorry for Levi.
He's probably had the least effective midfield to work with in our recent history.
He was for a time our only tall target.
Recognising this he was often playing against two guys with a ball landing on his head.
We lacked the small forwards to benefit from his contested work.

Yes, his kicking was/is woeful. Deflating sometimes....I just feel he would have been a lot more effective with more support.

Reply #71
I feel a bit sorry for Levi.
He's probably had the least effective midfield to work with in our recent history.
He was for a time our only tall target.
Recognising this he was often playing against two guys with a ball landing on his head.
We lacked the small forwards to benefit from his contested work.

Yes, his kicking was/is woeful. Deflating sometimes....I just feel he would have been a lot more effective with more support.

Think he will get picked up probably by a team who miss on Lynch or maybe even GC then we will see how effective he is with a better team....probably kick a bag when he plays
us and continue the tradition of ex players burning us.... ;)

Reply #72
We have a reasonably good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game is played on grass...lol.

They could do a Croswell on grass. :)

Reply #73

There wasn't many around for that and if there was they were unlikely to come to us. To kick 34 goals last year as essentially a 2nd ruck that's a decent output for a guy from deep in the rookie draft in a club that struggles badly to kick a goal. Player of limited ability who managed to fill a big hole reasonably decently given there was no-one else. Don't think it was ever a plan for him to be our no.1 forward. Might've been more dangerous as no.2 forward in a better side. There was never going to be a big breakout game as he wasn't that good. Probably made the most out of limited ability.

Reply #74
I agree with most of that, but still think his "almost" ability kept him on the list longer than he should have been.
I don't begrudge him anything. He seems like a really likable guy. But sometimes not changing things up hurts you, and I think it did for us.
And for what it's worth, I think he is the sort of player who may do much better as second forward, but if he is number one, especially in a side that seems to have a "kick to number one at all cost" mentality, he is causing more problems, through no fault of his own (other than his kicking).