Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 6680 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #90
Yep....look who goes through the  wings for the Pies. I would have played  Binns vs West Coast and given him a confidence building game.
Exactly, need easier games to blood kids. Teams like Coll have the luxury of blooding kids irrespective of who they play as they are top of the ladder.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #91
Opportunities??
12th in the whole AFL for average marks per game.
At the very least he would require a minder and take a bit of attention away from Curnow...and maybe have a bearing on Moore's intercept marking.

Talk about opportunities, why not let TDK get the opportunity to prove he is a legitimate key forward option?

As for Kemp and/or McGovern as options forward, we are weakening a very good defence to do that.....and playing into the pies hands in doing so.

Its also a wild card option worth keeping up my sleeve for finals should we need it.

Reply #92
Pies with 3-4 players suffering with a virus, reckon there will be a couple of changes to last weeks team.
My tip is Hill who I believe is the worst affected with sickness will be replaced by Ginnivan....
Josh Daicos is meant to be sick as well so I hope he gives it to Nick and both dont play....

Reply #93
Pies with 3-4 players suffering with a virus, reckon there will be a couple of changes to last weeks team.
My tip is Hill who I believe is the worst affected with sickness will be replaced by Ginnivan....
Josh Daicos is meant to be sick as well so I hope he gives it to Nick and both dont play....
https://www.afl.com.au/news/987229/pies-rule-out-role-change-for-integral-mid-key-trio-miss-training
Josh Daicos, Bobby Hill and Isaac Quaynor all missed the Magpies' main training session on Wednesday through illness but the trio are not considered in any doubt to face the Blues.

Reply #94
Pittonet looked a little sore after landing from one ruck contest towards the end of last weeks VFL game.
It may have just been a momentary thing.
There's been no mention of him aggravating his injury.
He'll probably be selected but wait and see if he lines up.

Reply #95
Concerned forward line is going to be a little short this week.

Maybe give Marchbank a run in the forward line.

Reply #96
Concerned forward line is going to be a little short this week.

Maybe give Marchbank a run in the forward line.

Problem is the Collingwood rebound run from the backline, Marchbank couldnt run out of sight on a dark night from what I saw a couple of weeks ago in the VFL and Im not sure this is the game you would want to bring him in cold without any senior footy.
My preference is McGovern who can take a mark but also has enough pace to put some defensive pressure on plus by leading up the ground at times he can also drag his man away from Charlie too.
In Jacks absence and if Cripps is fit to play I would also be wanting some forward time from him too, pity we dont have Kennedy as well to do the same.
The other main option of course is to pick Pittonet and have TDK resting forward when not in the ruck but as has been discussed in depth on the forum its not always that simple playing two ruckman who do better as the primary ruckman but have little impact down forward a lot of the time. While Jack didnt have a great game vs Collingwood last time I think he will be really missed as he was struggling for form back then but in recent weeks has peaked at the right time and was giving us plenty and its a real shame he wont be playing.

Reply #97
I think Kemp is =25th on our goal kicking list for 2023 with a grand total of 1 goal.

Yep. Wouldn't be expecting it, sure.
Not sure it'll actually help though. ;)

I remember Nick Duigan from 2013. I know ninthmond we’re not expecting him to play but when we were saw him on the ground no one would have expected Nick to be a multiple goal kicker

Reply #98

Problem is the Collingwood rebound run from the backline, Marchbank couldnt run out of sight on a dark night from what I saw a couple of weeks ago in the VFL and Im not sure this is the game you would want to bring him in cold without any senior footy.
My preference is McGovern who can take a mark but also has enough pace to put some defensive pressure on plus by leading up the ground at times he can also drag his man away from Charlie too.
In Jacks absence and if Cripps is fit to play I would also be wanting some forward time from him too, pity we dont have Kennedy as well to do the same.
The other main option of course is to pick Pittonet and have TDK resting forward when not in the ruck but as has been discussed in depth on the forum its not always that simple playing two ruckman who do better as the primary ruckman but have little impact down forward a lot of the time. While Jack didnt have a great game vs Collingwood last time I think he will be really missed as he was struggling for form back then but in recent weeks has peaked at the right time and was giving us plenty and its a real shame he wont be playing.

Yep mcgovern forward is the right move. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #99
https://www.afl.com.au/news/987229/pies-rule-out-role-change-for-integral-mid-key-trio-miss-training

What’s the bet they play. This mob has a habit of saying the flu is ripping thru the place prior to playing a big game.

Funny thing is it seems to clear up real quick and they mostly all play.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are just rotating players having a session off but use it as a tactic saying the club is fighting the flu.

Don’t trust the pr1cks

Reply #100
What’s the bet they play. This mob has a habit of saying the flu is ripping thru the place prior to playing a big game.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are just rotating players having a session off but use it as a tactic saying the club is fighting the flu.

Don’t trust the pr1cks
100% they are just resting players during the week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #101

Don’t trust the pr1cks
They said exactly the same thing about De Goey before the Port game.  No way those three players miss.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #102
After Jack went off, our forward line against the Eagles was generally six of Charlie, Ed, Motlop, Honey, Cottrell, Cuningham and Fogarty.  The likes of Moore, Murphy, Howe, Maynard and Quaynor would be licking their lips at the prospect of exploiting such an undersized lack of firepower.

We have to lock the ball in our forward line for long periods to be competitive against Collingwood and that requires a mix of tall and small forwards to compete in the air and on the ground as well as providing defensive pressure when Collingwood gets possession.

Jack Martin, if fit, will help with his footy nous and ability to pluck a mark.  I’d bring Owies in too, if he’s fit.  That leaves us still to find a CHF and a third tall to keep Murphy and Howe honest.

De Koning can be a forward threat when he’s not rucking but his potential ruck partners aren’t much chop.  Pitto is clearly our next best ruckman but he could be a liability as a third tall, as he would be if asked to do most of the ruckwork.  Young could be a better option as the third tall forward but his ruckwork is average and he may be required to play defence on Cox.

I would play Hudson O’Keeffe.  He is still developing his craft but he can clunk a mark in a pack or on the lead.  That still leaves us without a CHF. 

Lemmey probably isn’t up to it at this stage of his development but he’s worth considering.  That leaves us with McGovern and Kemp; both of whom are essential cogs in our defensive machine.  Marchbank’s form in the VFL suggests that he could be an adequate replacement.

McGovern was lost when shifted forward earlier in the season, as was Young.  Gov has never really been a success as a forward and I would be reluctant to rely on him.  That leaves Kemp, the under 18 All Australian full forward.

I think that playing in defence suits Kemp’s ability to read the play and get into intercept positions.  However, his marking and foot speed will trouble any of Collingwood’s defenders and will ease the pressure on Charlie.

My forward line would be Charlie, Kemp, Martin, Owies, Cuningham/Fogarty with O’Keeffe as third tall and ruck.

The MC will go with De Koning and Pitto sharing ruck and CHF.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #104
For the people who don't have a subscription:

Blues skipper Patrick Cripps will play in Friday night’s blockbuster against Collingwood, despite missing Carlton’s main training session on Thursday morning.

Cripps missed last Saturday’s match with West Coast due to a corked hamstring, and while coach Michael Voss was hopeful the reigning Brownlow medallist would improve in time for Friday night’s meeting with the Magpies, Cripps was a notable absentee from training at Ikon Park on Thursday morning.

But Voss, speaking at his weekly press conference on Thursday, confirmed Cripps would lead the team in the highly anticipated game against their rivals.

Adam Cerra will also play after overcoming hamstring tightness. He was left out of the side that beat West Coast on Saturday, but was on the track on Thursday in a bid to prove his fitness.

Jesse Motlop, who played against the Eagles but finished the match on the bench with a calf concern, also trained on Thursday.

The Blues will be without Sam Walsh (hamstring) and Jack Silvagni (knee), while Harry McKay (knee) is out longer-term.

Collingwood boast the healthiest list in the competition at the moment, after Will Hoskin-Elliott overcame a broken hand to mark himself available for selection this week.

Fin Macrae (thumb injury) is the only Magpie on their injury list, but the young midfielder has not played a senior game in 2023.

Magpies coach Craig McRae says he has some tough selection decisions to make in the run to finals given their mass availability.

Friday night’s match at the MCG is sold out. Carlton sit ninth on the ladder after winning their past five matches, all with margins exceeding 50 points, while the Magpies sit atop the AFL ladder, having lost just two matches this season.