Skip to main content
Topic: Formula 1 (Read 99538 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Formula 1

Reply #120
If that doesn't float your boat, what about George Russell taking over for Lewis Hamilton (covid) in the all conquering Mercedes this weekend?

For once we will see the difference between a good driver in a $hit car (Williams) and a good driver in the best car.

I believe Russell is up to something like 34-0 in terms of outqualifying his teammate in his career thus far. Lets see if he can outqualify the more than competent Valteri Bottas this weekend.

The only thing i don't like about this swap is that Russell needs to get his head around the dual-axis steering that is unique to the mercedes. I'm not sure it will be the fair comparison we want it to be as surely that takes 100's laps to get the hang of. But we'll see.
The English Sky commentary team biased towards an ordinary (at best) driver like George Russell is sickening. Mr Saturday, Senna would be turning in his grave. 34-0 you say against his team mate, bahahahahaha. That would be like me out squatting my grandmother 34 days in a row. This Muppet wouldn't tie Hamilton's bootlaces. Any wonder I watch F1 with the volume down these days.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #121
The English Sky commentary team biased towards an ordinary (at best) driver like George Russell is sickening. Mr Saturday, Senna would be turning in his grave. 34-0 you say against his team mate, bahahahahaha. That would be like me out squatting my grandmother 34 days in a row. This Muppet wouldn't tie Hamilton's bootlaces. Any wonder I watch F1 with the volume down these days.

Why do you say he is ordinary?

Simply because he doesn't score points on race day?

Thats like you driving your grandmothers car against a V8 supercar and wondering why you can't get near them.

Modern f1 is all about the car, which is why Russell appears to be 'ordinary'.
He has outperformed mutiple time world champion Vettel during qualifying on numerous occasions. You don't do that by accident, especially in the Williams. If you wanna see how good a driver is, compare him against his teammate in the same car. Not just by outqualifying him, but where he finishes on race day by comparison.

I was sceptical initially, but his results cannot be argued with. I think he'll surprise you.

Reply #122
Russell is a good driver, but I doubt he'll do much in one week in a car he is new to.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Russell is a good driver, but I doubt he'll do much in one week in a car he is new to.
Of the young crop, there is Le Clerc, Norris and then daylight.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #124
Russell is a good driver, but I doubt he'll do much in one week in a car he is new to.
If he finishes, it will be in the points.

Its just a matter of how high.

Of all cars to drive, the mercedes would be the steepest learning curve with its DAS.

If he gets anywhere near Bottas in qualifying, he has proven plenty.

Reply #125
It would just prove that Bottas is lucky he's in the car he is - Hamilton likes Bottas because he is no threat at all,  yet the car is the same

Grosjean is very lucky.   While there is no doubt the halo saved him, having the medics so close on hand had to have helped.   Scary stuff.

It was good that the coverage didn't show anything further until they knew he was out of danger.

Reply #126
It would just prove that Bottas is lucky he's in the car he is - Hamilton likes Bottas because he is no threat at all,  yet the car is the same

Grosjean is very lucky.   While there is no doubt the halo saved him, having the medics so close on hand had to have helped.   Scary stuff.

It was good that the coverage didn't show anything further until they knew he was out of danger.

Was Rosberg lucky he was in the same car as Hamilton? He is the only bloke who has been able to beat him for the title. Bottas is not up to the same standard as Hamilton, nobody is, but he's no slouch.

In order to get into F1 you have to be a good driver....even if you pay for your own drive, you still have to be a good driver. The majority of the blokes who are there have won championships upon championships since they were like 6yo's in carts. The notion of being lucky or a crap driver is ignoring what it takes to get there.

re grosjean...
That is the reason the medical car starts at the back of the grid for each race, its the fastest way to get them to the scene of an accident quickly....and there are more accidents on lap 1 than any other lap.

How Grosjean was able to stay conscious despite being put through 50G+ of stopping force is a miracle in itself. That, along with the halo, is the reason he is alive.

Reply #127
The only measure in F1 worth noting is being measured against a team-mate, sometimes team politics will cloud the issue.

Every other measure is about the cars not the drivers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
Hamilton certainly didn't like Rosberg beating him - he was a threat.  It doesn't appear to work well when both drivers are close in ability with the same car - particularly if the car is good enough to challenge for the title.  That Bottas is no threat means that Hamilton and Mercedes can just go about their business without internal politics taking over too much, but still know that they both cars will finish in the top four just about every race.

Reply #129

Practice 1 - Fastest - Russell
Practice 2 - Fastest - Russell

....not bad for just a 'good' or 'ordinary' driver

Reply #130
back him in for the win.

Reply #131
Well I guess Russell qualifying 2nd puts an end to the Hamilton vs Schumacher/Senna debate.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #132
Russell is a good driver, it'll be interesting to see how he goes tomorrow.

Leclerc was probably qualifying king today, but I doubt he has the car to finish on the podium.

I think Bottas should be favourite, he got pole while looking like he was driving at half-rat pace, he was virtually 100% between the lines!

I wouldn't write off Verstappen on the short track, tyre life on this track could be king.

But the key to short track racing is making no mistakes, when so many drivers are separated by hundredths losing a tenth somewhere has much more impact than usual. Although it's not a good passing venue. It's a pity we do not see more short tracks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
Mr Saturday finally gets beaten, and its by the blink of an eye by a bloke who has driven the same car he just stepped into for years.

Now Bottas is not a great starter and he is not a great overtaker. Russell is a bit of an unknown in that regard because his car has never been good enough.

To me i think Verstappen is the one to watch. His car is good enough, he has the aggressive driving style to make the passes on the short track. If he can keep his calm, he'll be on the podium, potentially the top step.

A wildcard for you is Danny Ric. He can look after his tyres as good as anyone and that should allow him to stay out longer and gain places while people are in the pits.....and we know he can overtake with the best of them. He'll get plenty of chances here. Hopefully his car is up for the challenge.

Don't discount the racing points too. If they can stay on track, they'll both be top 6 IMO.