Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG (Read 9596 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2021 Rd 5: Carlton vs Port Adelaide at the MCG

Reply #30
We have a very annoying habit of playing at the same level as our opponents - not so bad when the other side is good, but awful when they are strugglers.
We are satisfied and happy to compete and win, but we do not want to destroy anybody, we don't put teams away.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
That's a good point EB, and another thing that got me a little down. The VFL proper hasn't yet started, but if you want sustained success, the 2nd's team needs to be about the mark. Apart from the fact that we lost by 7 goals, 144-101 sounds like end to end bruise free footy. I really hope we can be very competitive in the 2nds.

We were in front by a kick (like 93-91) at one stage, then lost by 7 goals......  i believe there was a wind, but that is very odd

Reply #32
Dow and Setterfield need to be dropped. Just a stat to show how woefully out of form they both are. Kennedy in the 10 ish minutes had more meters gained that both Dow and Setterfield combined and I think from memory he had more tackles too.

I'm not saying they should be taken out the back and shot, but both are out of form and need to find it, which should be done in the twos. Get them both getting first touch in the centre bounce then dominate opposition, get the feel for the game, then after 3-4 games of that get the hopefully inform players back into the senior team, that's what the VFL is for.

Silvagni - Kennedy
Dow - Stocker
Setterfield - Williams (if fit) if not Owies and more mid time for Fogarty.

We are lacking midfield rotation lets bring in mids who are inform.

Casboult plays cause we need a second ruck. McGovern gets another run in the twos to get game touch.

Reply #33
We might lose Gibbons from concussion.

Gibbons can't possibly have concussion, Christian decided that Harbrow's bump was a figment of our collective imaginations.

We should be sending him footage of the Williams bump and asking for an explanation  >:(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
If we pick Paddy Dow again this week i'm going to need a bucket...he's playing like a Geelong Grammar public school boy and we
wasted pick 3 on him and also O'Brien at 10 same school,,WTF? remember Billy Smedts..ex captain of Geelong Grammar...when will we learn.....

Gotta pick more guys like the Rock Lobster 46...see how he's gone since I called for his in 3 weeks ago?

Pretty dammed good on the wing..plays with heart and chases hard

Parks same...goes hard...we need more guys with a hard edge like these blokes...not pretty private school boys

Reply #35
If we pick Paddy Dow again this week i'm going to need a bucket...he's playing like a Geelong Grammar public school boy and we
wasted pick 3 on him and also O'Brien at 10 same school,,WTF? remember Billy Smedts..ex captain of Geelong Grammar...when will we learn.....

Gotta pick more guys like the Rock Lobster 46...see how he's gone since I called for his in 3 weeks ago?

Pretty dammed good on the wing..plays with heart and chases hard

Parks same...goes hard...we need more guys with a hard edge like these blokes...not pretty private school boys

Dow isnt soft he just has trouble with his decision making and execution of skills at this level. The game is probably quicker than when he started and his confidence in his ability looks worse than ever.
Agree on Cottrell and Parks, not super talented but know their limitations and know they have to work harder than more talented players to make it and really stand out in terms of doing the team stuff.
Obrien to me is already stamped and marked for trade or delist.

Reply #36
I see ZERO benefit - to Dow or the team - in continuing to pick Dow in the 1s.

He's lost.

And he's certainly keeping others out of the 22 who will almost certainly have a far bigger impact on team success presently.

Setters is little different but has done more at times.

Teague needs to be smart. Not ultra conservative.

Dow may still come good, but getting 8 touches every week simply is unacceptable in the role he performs.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
I see ZERO benefit - to Dow or the team - in continuing to pick Dow in the 1s.

He's lost.

And he's certainly keeping others out of the 22 who will almost certainly have a far bigger impact on team success presently.

Setters is little different but has done more at times.

Teague needs to be smart. Not ultra conservative.

Dow may still come good, but getting 8 touches every week simply is unacceptable in the role he performs.
No being a smart ass here, but what is that role? That is, how do we know what role the coaches are asking him to play? If he keeps getting picked, he may be meeting those requirements. Just saying.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #38
No being a smart ass here, but what is that role? That is, how do we know what role the coaches are asking him to play? If he keeps getting picked, he may be meeting those requirements. Just saying.

I was going to ask the same thing. I couldn't even tell you what position he's playing.

Also some players in the team have to have less of the ball than others.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #39

If you can't work it out, isn't that a problem in itself?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
If you can't work it out, isn't that a problem in itself?
Dow has been following opponents into stoppage quite a lot, so I presume they have him learning the ropes via tagging. But I worry if that is true his tackling stats are somewhat underwhelming.

I thought for a time last weekend he rotated with Fogarty for on ball sessions, and Fogarty had 3x as many tackles.

Last weekend was probably not a good example for the kids, as it was the older heads that stood out for sure ball handling in greasy conditions, and SPS did quite well also. Dow is fumbling so much he loses any breakaway advantage he has.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
Dow has been following opponents into stoppage quite a lot, so I presume they have him learning the ropes via tagging. But I worry if that is true his tackling stats are somewhat underwhelming.

I thought for a time last weekend he rotated with Fogarty for on ball sessions, and Fogarty had 3x as many tackles.

Last weekend was probably not a good example for the kids, as it was the older heads that stood out for sure ball handling in greasy conditions, and SPS did quite well also. Dow is fumbling so much he loses any breakaway advantage he has.

Dow seems to be very much an apprentice/understudy mid and is probably 3rd or 4th banana as an inside mid from what I can tell atm. Hopefully he is learning and will improve this year.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #42
Hi Sorry if silly question...

Do we need to stil order tickets through tickemaster this week?  Even if you have your own seat?

Reply #43

Good point G2C.

For all we know, Dow may be meeting his KPIs and more.

The slippery conditions affected most players and some more than others.  Dow seemed to be having a crack but was often not in a position from where he could get involved.  Was that bad luck, poor reading of the play, or following instructions?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #44
Hi Sorry if silly question...

Do we need to stil order tickets through tickemaster this week?  Even if you have your own seat?

Yep, same routine....club sends you an email....
Finals, then 4 in a row!