Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 8: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 18523 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 8: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #45
No way can we play Rowe, Jones and Weiters (let alone Marchbank) in the back line at the same time....

Chance Jones might go forward to relieve ruck. Don't see the point of picking 2 rucks at the expense of a runner.

Reply #46
Chance Jones might go forward to relieve ruck. Don't see the point of picking 2 rucks at the expense of a runner.

Just as long as Weiters doesn't go forward - that idea should be put away - for the time being at least!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47

Agree entirely.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #48
No way can we play Rowe, Jones and Weiters (let alone Marchbank) in the back line at the same time....

Agree. With the exception of Jones... just way too slow.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49
Agree. With the exception of Jones... just way too slow.

I'd play Shaw this week off half back, was steady vs Frankston and in a winnable game I think Essendon would suit him as they are not physical but play wide and run the ball, because Jack and JW were in our best last week in the NB's doesnt mean they are automatics if I was picking the team. Maybe one of them could play and would only play Marchbank if he was fit, he probably needs a game in the NB's like JW had...

Reply #50
I'd play Shaw this week off half back, was steady vs Frankston and in a winnable game I think Essendon would suit him as they are not physical but play wide and run the ball, because Jack and JW were in our best last week in the NB's doesnt mean they are automatics if I was picking the team. Maybe one of them could play and would only play Marchbank if he was fit, he probably needs a game in the NB's like JW had...
Agree SOS needs more time in the 2's. Not sure about Weiters though as we know his best is good enough. However is one performance enough? A couple of more performances like that in the 2s wont hurt. Also agree with Shaw (never thought Id say that after watching him in the preseason games).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
Agree SOS needs more time in the 2's. Not sure about Weiters though as we know his best is good enough. However is one performance enough? A couple of more performances like that in the 2s wont hurt. Also agree with Shaw (never thought Id say that after watching him in the preseason games).

That performance alone is enough. It was brilliant.

Wouldn't mid SOS coming in to play more in the midfield. Essendon hate it in-close so SOS would be a good pick this week for that purpose. Like to see Shaw off half-back, we need to shrink there and get more run. Then Jones forward as the back up ruckman. 2 rucks on a wet day would be dumb.

Reply #52

Be interesting how Essendon line up with no Daniher...I'd expect Hooker to start forward with Stewart as their KP players......with Stringer as the 3rd tall forward........
Reckon Rowe has to get Hooker.......I'd play Jones or Marchbank(fitness) on Stringer and maybe Weitering on Stewart.....

Reply #53
Weitering simply has to play, his performance in the VFL last Saturday was one of the most dominant in living memory.
Daniher out though so do we need many tall defenders?
Weitering for O'Shea is a no brainer but after that it gets tricky.
I watched the VFL and wasn't overly impressed with Silvagni, I liked Polson's game more.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #54
Weitering simply has to play, his performance in the VFL last Saturday was one of the most dominant in living memory.
I watched the VFL and wasn't overly impressed with Silvagni, I liked Polson's game more.

Agree..I thought Polson went ok and it was the best game I have seen him play, used the ball better and kicked longer, looks like a genuine rover.

Reply #55
Against pretty ordinary opposition. We play 4th placed Willi this week, lets see how he goes against better oppo.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #56
Against pretty ordinary opposition. We play 4th placed Willi this week, lets see how he goes against better oppo.

If that's the case then why did we drop players after the Richmond and the West coast game?

Two sides who have lost one match and both sitting proudly king of the pile.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57
Just as long as Weiters doesn't go forward - that idea should be put away - for the time being at least!

Most definitely.  Hope we've learned from that costly exercise
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #58
Wet track, heavy conditions, big bodies require. Enter D Lang