Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 8: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 18528 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 8: Pre Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #75
I'd say we plan in Jones as relief ruck hence maybe why we still have O'Shea to go back. But why O'Shea ahead of Weitering.

Reply #76
We might (will) see Jones and/or McKay doing a bit of ruck work.
Or even Rowe but he's more likely to be no.1 defender though given the line-up.

Reply #77
One week 3 rucks, the next week 1.

MC have no idea about what they're trying to achieve.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #78
I'd say we plan in Jones as relief ruck hence maybe why we still have O'Shea to go back. But why O'Shea ahead of Weitering.

A little bit of management I suspect.
The conditions won't suit him.
The last thing we want is to rush him back and have him struggle.
Let him have another game at the lower level to build his confidence a bit more... then bring him back.

Reply #79
A little bit of management I suspect.
The conditions won't suit him.
The last thing we want is to rush him back and have him struggle.
Let him have another game at the lower level to build his confidence a bit more... then bring him back.

Agree. One Swallow (Frankston) does not make a summer.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #80
Lang isn't fit enough based on what I saw last week.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #81
Lang isn't fit enough based on what I saw last week.

Yep a puzzling selection - didn't do much in the NBs game from what I saw on TV.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #82
Thanks for the vote of confidence BP but I get plenty wrong too , easier from the armchair and if you fire 100 bullets you have to hit something.. ;)

And that reply is why you are my favourite poster.

Reply #85
N: Lang, Curnow, Lamb

OUT: Levi (Injured), Phillips Kennedy (Both Omitted)

CARLTON'S ROUND 8 LINE-UP:

Backs 20. Lachie Plowman 17. Sam Rowe 39. Dale Thomas
Half-backs 18. Aaron Mullett 14. Liam Jones 6. Kade Simpson
Centreline 16. Darcy Lang 9. Patrick Cripps (C) 35. Ed Curnow
Half-forwards 32. Nick Graham 10. Harry McKay 25. Zac Fisher
Forwards 21. Jarrod Garlett 30. Charlie Curnow 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton
Followers 8. Matthew Kreuzer 2. Paddy Dow 11. Sam Kerridge
Interchange 13. Jed Lamb 4. Lochie O'Brien 46. Matthew Wright
24. Cameron O'Shea
Emergencies 34. Andrew Phillips 37. Matthew Shaw 1. Jack Silvagni
29. Cameron Polson

In: Lang, Lamb, C. Curnow

Out: Casboult (injured), Phillips (omitted), Kennedy (omitted)

New: Lang (Geelong Cats)
More than a tad surprised that Lang was named. As others have mentioned, he has not looked fit enough or intense enough in the VFL as yet.
I can understand why Lamb got the nod: he was the emergency last week. I am not sure he is the man for the game.

ESSENDON
B: Mark Baguley, Michael Hurley, Adam Saad
HB: Conor McKenna, Patrick Ambrose, Brendon Goddard
C: Orazio Fantasia, Zach Merrett, Kobe Mutch
HF: Jayden Laverde, James Stewart, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
F: David Myers, Cale Hooker, David Zaharakis
R: Tom Bellchambers, Devon Smith, Dyson Heppell
Int: Ben McNiece, Shaun McKernan, Darcy Parish, Jake Stringer

Emg: Jordan Ridley, Kyle Langford, Matt Guelfi, Dylan Clarke

IN: Orazio Fantasia, Shaun McKernan
OUT: Joe Daniher (Injured), Andrew McGrath (Injured)

On paper they are so much closer to their best 22. They should win. Hope we can spoil them!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #86
Shocked at Lang's selection. Looked very underdone at VFL level last week. Tough ask for the kid. Lamb I'm not surprised, we need some mongrel and he has performed well on Goddard before, horses for courses. Charlie Curnow for Casboult is a no-brainer. Not surprised Phillips got dropped, we just can't play two dinosaur ruckmen in the current game. Kennedy is the worry for me. If he was out injured I would understand, I don't reckon his ankle is right. But omitted suggests not doing what the coaches want well enough to hold his spot (and replaced by either Lang or Lamb), that is an issue

Reply #87
Shocked at Lang's selection. Looked very underdone at VFL level last week. Tough ask for the kid. Lamb I'm not surprised, we need some mongrel and he has performed well on Goddard before, horses for courses. Charlie Curnow for Casboult is a no-brainer. Not surprised Phillips got dropped, we just can't play two dinosaur ruckmen in the current game. Kennedy is the worry for me. If he was out injured I would understand, I don't reckon his ankle is right. But omitted suggests not doing what the coaches want well enough to hold his spot (and replaced by either Lang or Lamb), that is an issue

Yep, totally agree... :Lang was good early but did tire. Considering the forecast, glad the club resisted bringing Weitering in. None of the 3 inclusions are slow. Serious question marks over Kennedy... another GWS dud for us, SOS? Please, no.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #88
Mullett, O'Shea, Lamb, Graham and Pickett would not get close to a game in any other AFL team in the comp IMO. Probably throw Kerridge into that group as well. They are not even the present, forget the future. Plus add to that Lang is seriously undone.

That's basically one third of the team right there. I just can't see how we are going to win games with this sort of selection strategy. I know the cupboard is pretty bare, but if that side doesn't set alarm bells ringing in the list management department then god help us all.

I pray I'm wrong [and I often am], and they have down on form, but I don't see enough ability in that team to compete against an AFL team and kick anything like a winning score.

Reply #89
Mullett, O'Shea, Lamb, Graham and Pickett would not get close to a game in any other AFL team in the comp IMO. Probably throw Kerridge into that group as well. They are not even the present, forget the future. Plus add to that Lang is seriously undone.

That's basically one third of the team right there. I just can't see how we are going to win games with this sort of selection strategy. I know the cupboard is pretty bare, but if that side doesn't set alarm bells ringing in the list management department then god help us all.

I pray I'm wrong [and I often am], and they have down on form, but I don't see enough ability in that team to compete against an AFL team and kick anything like a winning score.
Pickett hasnt played all season and is out for another 6.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time