Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 11: Post Game Pragmatism: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 19418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 11: Post Game Pragmatism: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
If the rebuild works out, and this current crop of youngsters become the top shelf 100-150 gamers that you need to be a good team, then they will be the ones who will be the core senior group that will allow future talented youngsters to play in the magoos for a couple of seasons, just like the Swans, Hawks etc.

Unfortunately, it also means that this crop of kids will be the sacrificial lambs, who don't have the benefit of playing in the 2's, and have been thrown to the wolves, as it were.

Hopefully, they will (like Murphy) be remembered accordingly.

Reply #31
Did anyone else think that last goal shouldn’t have counted? You can’t kick around your body without stepping off the line. Oh well.
Would have been interesting if it was the last kick to win a GF.

My take from memory ....
He stood with his back to the posts.
Side on to the man on the mark.
The minute he took a step forward he had gone off his line and it was play on.
As it was after the siren the goal shouldn't count.

The umpire told him and then totally ignored his own advice to the player.

However I'd have to see it again if he made the kick without taking a step (pretty difficult but not impossible) it would be OK

Reply #32
Should not have been a goal, he played on after the siren

Reply #34
With the bye this week we get a chance to regroup and get some players back. That is a huge positive.
All I can say is that we are not that bad, but our turnovers kill us.
We should get back Marchbank, Casboult, Kennedy and Pickett after the bye. I'd be bringing them all straight in if they're fit. Out for me would go Cuningham, Lamb, O'Shea and Thomas. That would reduce our turnovers by about 50%, reduce the number of our players who have no influence on the game, improve ball movement and should increase our scoring

Reply #35
We should get back Marchbank, Casboult, Kennedy and Pickett after the bye. I'd be bringing them all straight in if they're fit. Out for me would go Cuningham, Lamb, O'Shea and Thomas. That would reduce our turnovers by about 50%, reduce the number of our players who have no influence on the game, improve ball movement and should increase our scoring

Casboult might come straight back in but I reckon the other three should get some VFL time to get some match fitness...Marchbank and Kennedy need to prove their fitness in match conditions, both seem injury prone
and need easing back in IMO...

Reply #36

Wow, so dropping Thomas after being in our best 2 or 3 for every game this year after one bad game. You are a very hard task master.

Reply #37
I was at the Geelong game, it was just as bad

Reply #38
Thomas has had a great year but last night, especially the 3rd qtr, won't be adding to his year.

Reply #39
Probably is a harsh call, he gives 100% every time and apparently gives great advice out on the field to the kids. I just wish he would use the ball better, and he looks to have panicked a bit in recent games. Maybe getting some better players back around him will help with that

Reply #40
If they count every disposal in DE then that'd include the 2m handpasses where it's hard not to hit the target.

Pity he butchers the ball so much as he works so hard. Thought he was generally ok last night, keot Hannebury quiet, but unlike some, when he butchers the ball he really butchers it where it hurts. He does a good job but it's negated by his ball use.

I'd give him another contract on the basis of bodies being too skinny still.

Reply #41
If you drop Thomas for 1 game of shocking disposal then Simpson has to go too.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #42
Did anyone else think that last goal shouldn’t have counted? You can’t kick around your body without stepping off the line. Oh well.
Would have been interesting if it was the last kick to win a GF.

I thought exactly the same thing, that was disgraceful!

How would you feel as the opposition if the umpire had coached the player after the siren like that for the final winning goal in a GF?

If the player doesn't know the rules it's not the umpires job to coach him on the field of play!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
Thought we dominated most of the 3rd quarter and they just punished us for our mistakes.

X2

Don't forget bad kicking is bad football.

Kerr,  Wright and Charlie Curnow stuffed some of the more gettable shots for goal and at times I thought we could have scored but spent too long looking for Men in space.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44

Jones- I've never been a fan, but he was ok last night. Actually tried to mark a few. Progress. Better than okay IMO

Daisy - has been good this year, but stunk it up last night. Agreed

Dow - this kid is all class. Will be very good 

SPS - does some nice things, then disappears. Still too lazy - doesn't even run hard when he has the ball - won't chase hard - often allows his opponent to run freely downfield to make further contributions if he doesn't manage to tackle him when close enough to reach - needs an attitude transplant

Plowman - has had an ordinary season. He's better than what he's showing this year. Last night's game and the previous week show signs of life. Agreed

Simpson - if ever there was a textbook example of how a player can besmirch their own fine reputation by playing past their use by date, this is it. He stunk it up bad last night. Certainly made more than his share of mistakes last night. His claims to fame have always been courage, guts and determination (still are), and when he was younger also a bit of pace. He had obviously lost a couple of yards last year. He's never been skilful (disagree), and now that he's older and slower, it's really starting to show. Still playing well enough to play on if he wants.

Wright - the TV is useful for showing work close to the ball, and in this respect we see just how smart Wright is. Smart tap ons, keeps his feet, good decisions etc. It's a shame about that miss on goal, but he's a very good footballer, and I love him.

I thought Sinclair had the better of Krooz. Not so much in the ruck but certainly in general play.

Jack was not bad. Very good in the 1st half.

O'Shea, another in the burgeoning category of honest triers, ordinary players.

I thought Rowe was more than decent against Buddy.

Lang looks to have what he needs for the future.

Kerridge was one of our better players - despite the horrendous clangers.