Skip to main content
Topic: Chris Yarran has gone backwards. (Read 114315 times) previous topic - next topic

Chris Yarran has gone backwards.

Watching the replay yesterday I couldn't believe the lows that Chris Yarran has stooped to under the new regime. I wanted to go back and look at his season in 2011, he was a human highlight reel. I don't think you could show two minutes of highlights from this season. Take a look at these to see just how promising this kid was a couple of years back. Now he's just a shadow of himself, playing with little or no confidence and looking almost disinterested, as opposed to how Ratts had him flying in 2011. And people say Ratten couldn't develop the players. Where has this Chris Yarran gone we could really use him ATM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdnY55Nm_kU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUEZBvGbEHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_L0zqnYBJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxTcIfNla0
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Chris Yarran has gone backwards.

Reply #1
Ratts moved him into defence because he was too lazy as a forward / last year he started getting lazy as a defender / MM is now discovering what Ratts discovered in 2010.

Reply #2
Yarran is not a small forward, doesn't possess the agility. What he is, is a cheetah. He needs some room to extend to be effective. I've said for sometime that he needs to be on a wing, that's when you'll see the best of Chris Yarran.

Reply #3
Yarran is not a small forward, doesn't possess the agility. What he is, is a cheetah. He needs some room to extend to be effective. I've said for sometime that he needs to be on a wing, that's when you'll see the best of Chris Yarran.

Spot on!

Reply #4

Spot on!

Trouble is fellas that space doesn't exist in finals type footy or if it does its only because you've run your guts out to make it.

I'm not sure Yazz works hard enough to make that room , if he did he'd make Leroy Jetta look like a b grader.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #5
Looks the same to me.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6
Ratts moved him into defence because he was too lazy as a forward / last year he started getting lazy as a defender / MM is now discovering what Ratts discovered in 2010.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #7
Watching the replay yesterday I couldn't believe the lows that Chris Yarran has stooped to under the new regime. I wanted to go back and look at his season in 2011, he was a human highlight reel. I don't think you could show two minutes of highlights from this season. Take a look at these to see just how promising this kid was a couple of years back. Now he's just a shadow of himself, playing with little or no confidence and looking almost disinterested, as opposed to how Ratts had him flying in 2011. And people say Ratten couldn't develop the players. Where has this Chris Yarran gone we could really use him ATM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdnY55Nm_kU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUEZBvGbEHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_L0zqnYBJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxTcIfNla0

you know, it was reported at the start of the year he was still struggling with Turf toe

and I am sure finding the right pillow (from his diary last year) has kept him up at night too  ;D

Reply #9
I don't think its a case of him going backwards, its just that he picks & chooses when he wants to turn it on. This year, for reasons we can only speculate on, he has chosen not to get involved.

His big problem is between his ears and it is going to take a very gifted or patient coach or mentor to get that part of his character make-up changed permanently. 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #10
I was hoping that his getting down and dirty with Geary last Fri might fire him up a bit - get the adrenalin flowing! I'm pretty sure though he's struggling with how/what role MM wants him to play - mind you I've always thought that he's a bit of a cruiser.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
I was hoping that his getting down and dirty with Geary last Fri might fire him up a bit - get the adrenalin flowing! I'm pretty sure though he's struggling with how/what role MM wants him to play - mind you I've always thought that he's a bit of a cruiser.

Cookie..I thought he did show some intent with mixiing it with Geary but seemed to forget about the football side of things...reckon CY can look after himself with blokes his own size.
I feel CY needs a Michael Oloughlin type mentor who can motivate him to be more intense more often.....MickyO was a lazy cherry picker highlight reel type  to begin with but gradually became a more complete player and its not a question CY not being able to contest and impact on the game he just picks and chooses when to do it and that is frustrating. As a coach you feel like yelling at him and shaking some sense into him but he isnt that type to respond to that type of treatment and  a mentor like MickyO who he might respect and feel and obligation to perform for might do the trick....easier said than done though to entice MickyO or similar to the club.

Reply #12
I just watched the replay (first game I have seen coverage of for six weeks) so my opinion is based on limited information.

From what I saw in the Saints game, Yarran was appropriately aggressive and refused to be bullied by his opponents.  He also went out of his way to intervene when team mates were being harassed.  If you know the story of Yarran dealing with a knife wielding mugger in South Africa, you will know that he is more than capable of looking after himself.  Having a player with confidence in his ability to deal with an opponent is a huge positive for a team that is thought to be soft.

Yarran's use of the ball was generally very good but he let himself and the team down with poor goalkicking.  However, poor finishing has been a feature of his game from day one.

Clearly, his run and carry has diminished significantly but he has less opportunity to do that as a half forward.  Mind you, his effort to burn off his opponent and kick to Henderson in the square was pretty damn good.

Yarran is playing a different role this season and I suspect that he has taken some time to come to terms with it.  Of course he's not going to have the same impact as he did when running out of defence but that's not what the coach wants. 

I don't agree that he's gone backwards, but I would like to see more consistency from him.  I would also like to see the coach giving him more opportunities to use his pace and flare.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
I think his speed and skill is his number one asset. Playing him down back was a masterstroke as it took away the option of deciding when and when not to go, he had no choice. It also made him more accountable. Simple yet effective. Move him down back again, or put him on a wing as suggested.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
Yarran hasn't got a defensive bone in his body. Ratten played extra numbers in defense that used to cover Yarran, Mick played him down back in the preseason and he got smashed.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!