Skip to main content
Topic: Stand by Tuohy (Read 18449 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stand by Tuohy

Reply #15
Been ordinary...Dunn smashed him in the Melbourne game and I would drop him.
Got carried away being superboot and kicking  50m goals and has forgotten how to defend...

Absolute liability in Defence second to Andrew walker. At least Zach can Kick.

Gave up 8 goals between them against Essendon. Hardingham kicked 4 on him...says it all.

I like Zach but has got ahead of himself.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #16
Opposition have realised that all you have to do is take him deep into defensive 50 and isolate him 1 on 1 with a smart forward opponent..
His defensive footy smarts aren't the greatest, that's what his main weakness is, and when isolated deep he gets exposed..

Reply #18
Maybe. I could understand that. Becoming a parent for the first time makes a lot of changes in your life.

However, I have pointed out Zac's lack of form for some time now. He was brilliant against North Melbourne at Ballarat until he got injured, but has struggled thereafter.
I would seriously consider dropping him until he got the form and confidence back, as he has been leaking goals recently. I would also be tempted to play him further up the ground, where his strength and counter attacking can help him. On the wing? In the middle?
Wherever he plays, he needs to get the bodying back to where it was: he hasn't been out bodied until this year. And he needs to have his player worrying about him more and him worrying about his man less for a while.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
Crash I am with you. he definitely offers more in the middle or further up the ground where he can attack the scoreboard. Being a defender isn't his biggest strength.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #20
Very difficult for the backline when a team is playing like we are. I don't care what anyone says, if there's no pressure up the field a backmans job is almost impossible.

But Zac is struggling in other ways. Seems the opposition coaches are more awake to Zac's lack of form than our super coach.

Teams are going through his man.

I like the guy, but needs a spell in the two's.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #21
I really had thought Zac was some tough hombre, but in the Tigers game Dustin Martin just shrugged him away, gathered the contested ball and calmly slotted what I thought was the sealer, easy as you like. Poor old Zac was just nowhere in the contest - I figured there is something wrong with him, very uncharacteristic IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
I really had thought Zac was some tough hombre, but in the Tigers game Dustin Martin just shrugged him away, gathered the contested ball and calmly slotted what I thought was the sealer, easy as you like. Poor old Zac was just nowhere in the contest - I figured there is something wrong with him, very uncharacteristic IMO.

I don't think he has gotten over what ever injury he picked up in the NAB

Reply #23
Give him time, Daisey will come good he isn't limping he just looks physically drained, it may be next season before we see him at his best. My only criticism would be we should not carry Daisey in a role that may not be able to complete at the moment. There are plenty of jobs he can do, and several blokes who can fill that current role well. For example, Armfield if fit must be close to a return!

Seriously - that's how you spell Daisy???

Anyhoo.....no-one has had more goals kicked on him this year than our Tuohy - been deadset hopeless, with most goals on him from marks. Defending means stopping your opponent from scoring & Tuohy has arguably been our worst in that regard. He's a liability at the moment.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #24
I keep spelling it like Daisey's Hotel, www.daiseyshotel.com.au
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25

I think that it's more about his ability to play one on one against opponents who have grown up playing the game.  In that contest with Martin, Tuohy was totally focused on Martin and didn't make the ball his object.  Opposition analysts will have identified Tuohy's weakness and will try to isolate him close to goal.

We really need a genuine defender who can win the one on one contests and get the ball to the likes of Tuohy, Walker and Yarran.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26

Game was over by that goal.  The sealer was Vickery's about 2 mins earlier than that off Robbie Warnock's howler of a clearing kick.

Still, you dont like to concede rather soft goals, and that was an example.

No one has been playing particularly well at the minute, so its really hard to point to isolated examples of what someone is doing and state that this was a factor in our loss.  It was simply one more thing that didnt go well.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27

Game was over by that goal.  The sealer was Vickery's about 2 mins earlier than that off Robbie Warnock's howler of a clearing kick.

Still, you dont like to concede rather soft goals, and that was an example.

No one has been playing particularly well at the minute, so its really hard to point to isolated examples of what someone is doing and state that this was a factor in our loss.  It was simply one more thing that didnt go well.

That was used purely as ONE example to illustrate where he's at atm. Even if the game was over there's no real excuse for a weak effort like that - and making any excuse for him is symptomatic of the p1ss weak culture of our club. Every example should be highlighted as something about the way we go about things that needs to be fixed. Let's not over-analyse here or try to be too understanding - the simple message to the players should be "That was not acceptable, get it out of your game!"

Reply #28

Gee, you will end up with a big pile of players if you stack up everyone Martin has already or will burn off in coming seasons. Martin is at least as good as Chapman in a one on one contest in my opinion and years younger, maybe not as fast as Chapman, but combining both agility and strength that many players just do not have. If Martin had the pace of a Judd, Ablett or Cousins he would be a world beater!

Tuohy needs to work on his agility to go with blokes like that, and of course he is only still a beginner by relative standards.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
@LP
Martin is just one example of the kind of opposition we have to deal with on a weekly basis LP - we have to be able to go with them. There are no excuses IMO so we'll have to agree to differ.