Skip to main content
Topic: Stand by Tuohy (Read 18451 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stand by Tuohy

Reply #30
Cookie, read my post again.  Im not making an excuse, Im simply staying it wasnt the sealer, and I agreed it was a weak effort.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #31
@LP
Martin is just one example of the kind of opposition we have to deal with on a weekly basis LP - we have to be able to go with them. There are no excuses IMO so we'll have to agree to differ.

True, but I do not agree that using Martin vs Tuohy in the dying minute of a dead and buried game is a valid criticism of Tuohy's general ability. It is a bit like criticising a 400m hurdler who stumbled on the last and jogged out the race!

Overall I won't accept a lot of criticism of any of our defense so far this season, because our midfield and forwards have pretty much burned them by letting the ball coast freely out of our forward line through the midfield and into the scoring zone.

FFS, the disparity between entries into F50 between us and our opposition is mind boggling, not purely the count but the way it is happening! I have lost count how many times we run forward only to have a mid turn the ball over with poor foot skills leaving the defenders in no-mans land! It is as bad as I have ever seen, we have gone backwards, and we were already pretty ordinary relative to other clubs!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
@LP
Martin is just one example of the kind of opposition we have to deal with on a weekly basis LP - we have to be able to go with them. There are no excuses IMO so we'll have to agree to differ.

True, but I do not agree that using Martin vs Tuohy in the dying minute of a dead and buried game is a valid criticism of Tuohy's general ability. It is a bit like criticising a 400m hurdler who stumbled on the last and jogged out the race!

I won't accept a lot of criticism of any of our defense so far this season, because our midfield and forwards have pretty much burned them by letting the ball coast freely out of our forward line through the midfield and into the scoring zone.

You haven't been reading again properly LP - I wasn't criticising Tuohy's general ability - I think I used the word "uncharacteristic" didn't I? It was purely an example of the type of sloppiness that is symptomatic of our game and culture atm and you can make as many excuses as you like and spin it to your heart's content.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #33
You haven't been reading again properly LP - I wasn't criticising Tuohy's general ability - I think I used the word "uncharacteristic" didn't I? It was purely an example of the type of sloppiness that is symptomatic of our game and culture atm and you can make as many excuses as you like and spin it to your heart's content.

But it is not spin Cookie2, what I describe about the defense situation is actually happening in games, and blokes can only get burnt by team-mates so often before the wheels fall off.

It was in my opinion one of the reasons Bell was dropped, because he let his direct opponents off the hook in the midfield which killed our defense. Despite being hard at the ball, the way Bell played burnt his team-mates! He got possessions at their expense not in support of them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
At this stage id swing Tuohy forward.

Reply #35

But it is not spin Cookie2, what I describe about the defense situation is actually happening in games, and blokes can only get burnt by team-mates so often before the wheels fall off.

It was in my opinion one of the reasons Bell was dropped, because he let his direct opponents off the hook in the midfield which killed our defense. Despite being hard at the ball, the way Bell played burnt his team-mates! He got possessions at their expense not in support of them!

Yes I will agree with you 100% that our midfield allows a lot more pressure to come onto our defence, but the incident I was talking about was still sloppy. I'm not singling 2E out for specific  criticism, but using that incident as a glaring example of the team's general sloppiness and poor approach. It was so obvious as the contest was a pure one on one with no other players anywhere near. I was sitting right opposite and it just made me want to cringe under the seat - it's burned into my mind. There were plenty of others from other players I might add.

All I'm saying is that those kinds of incidents are symptomatic of our present culture or collective state of mind and should be used as examples of the kind of stuff that needs to be urgently corrected if we are to become competitive again - there are plenty of other issues I agree.

Reply #36
A good team is usually where players know each others game well and can read what they are going to do with the footy.
Kade Simpson is this sort of player.....on the other hand you have Tom Bell.....nothing consistent about his disposal or what he is doing with
the footy. He misses targets often because he expects players to run in one direction and they dont...handballs go into open space for example.

Bell needs to keep its simple and let his teammates get familiar with his pattern of game and not try and get to cute with the ball and always play it safe...then he might make it as a player.

Reply #38
Needs a run in the Magoos ,hopElessly out of form,if we can drop Waite and  Garlett  then he must go,a liability at the moment.Sorry thats how I see it        

Reply #39
Tuohy is another who has gone backwards this year.

Carrots you are always so negative. Can't be fun being you.

Actually I have a wife and two kids and am very happy with life ATM. I'm usually a positive person when there's something to be positive about. Pretty sure everyone agrees he's playing carp. Why pick on me?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #40
Yep.  Zac has gone backwards. 

Needs to be dropped to get some form in the two's

Reply #41
Cookie, read my post again.  Im not making an excuse, Im simply staying it wasnt the sealer, and I agreed it was a weak effort.

OK but when it happened was the moment which I gave up on the game from memory. Didn't leave but gave up all hope.

Reply #42
From memory I think there was less than a minute on the clock after that goal, and the game was already gone as we needed a goal to tie the match at that stage, but in any case the minute mark of the game is not important.  The fact is that it wasnt good enough.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #43
Martin is a super talented player I think you'd find he'd beat most of our defenders in that situation.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #44
Tuohy is another who has gone backwards this year.

Carrots you are always so negative. Can't be fun being you.

Actually I have a wife and two kids and am very happy with life ATM. I'm usually a positive person when there's something to be positive about. Pretty sure everyone agrees he's playing carp. Why pick on me?

Only because you are the ring leader... I think.

C:-)