Skip to main content
Topic: RD 17 : North Melbourne v Carlton (Pre-game Jibber-Jabber) (Read 46507 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 17 : North Melbourne v Carlton (Pre-game Jibber-Jabber)

Reply #15
A win puts us temporarily in the 8 and if St Kilda beat Port, we stay there (assuming West Coast don't give Sydney a frightful flogging).
Why are you talking about the 8?  We're in the 9, and that's all that's needed.  If the AFL don't remove Essendon from the finals, it will be a laughing stock, especially if they go on to win the flag.

Masters of our own destiny, we dont want to rely on others, blah, bkah.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see this carry over past September (and the AFL will hope one of Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong will knock them out).but that's a discussion for the essendon thread.

Reply #16
We say it every week but this really is a big game. Friday Night Football, the two best sides not in the 8 that should have at least a couple more wins each. No where to hide for the loser.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #17
Who would be Watson's best match up this week?  To be used to best advantage, we need to utilise his kicking skills on the rebound.  That means he'd be best off if we could put him on someone who'll be reasonably static around the goalsquare, allowing him to sag off for the handball receive out of defence.  And of course he's most likely to be exposed by a fast leading forward who can double back towards the goalsquare.  Petrie's probably too mobile for him.  Hansen's out injured now, isn't he?  Are they playing a 2nd ruckman as a secondary target at the moment?  If so, that could be the go.  Majak Daw would be too explosive, but at the moment he's not really a high possession player and I'm guessing he's not good defensively.   

Reply #18
All our remaining games are important now of course, but this one is especially so since it's our chance to prove that last week was not just a flash in the pan against a crap team. This week we can demonstrate that we can put away those teams we should be putting away!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
Getting hammered from pillar to post by the media.
Watch them respond!  ::) ::) ::)

Reply #20
Who would be Watson's best match up this week?  To be used to best advantage, we need to utilise his kicking skills on the rebound.  That means he'd be best off if we could put him on someone who'll be reasonably static around the goalsquare, allowing him to sag off for the handball receive out of defence.  And of course he's most likely to be exposed by a fast leading forward who can double back towards the goalsquare.  Petrie's probably too mobile for him.  Hansen's out injured now, isn't he?  Are they playing a 2nd ruckman as a secondary target at the moment?  If so, that could be the go.  Majak Daw would be too explosive, but at the moment he's not really a high possession player and I'm guessing he's not good defensively.  
This is a really important issue that you've raised, Mav: Watson would not be a good match up on Daw, because Daw has pace and doesn't relate well to physical pressure. I'm not sure we do have anyone who fits that classification,but Watson isn't it.
A year or so ago I would have put Laidler on Daw: Laidler doesn't have the pace, but he is spot on for the body contact, reads the ball well in the air and often plays on bigger with success. That is not a likely match up.
I guess we'll have to watch to see who North is considering as its 2nd or 3rd tall forward.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
We say it every week but this really is a big game. Friday Night Football, the two best sides not in the 8 that should have at least a couple more wins each. No where to hide for the loser.

Yes agree and I love the fact that there is nowhere to hide if you lose. Our players must perform or get exposed - they responded against the Saints and North will be desperate to avert their slide. Good test for us as North are usually a hard at it team and we've struggled to beat them physically for too long.

Reply #22
Getting hammered from pillar to post by the media.
Watch them respond!  ::) ::) ::)
This sort of attention doesn't seem to inspire us to perform, and I don't think it will be any better for the Shinboners.

North shares a common issue with us - they're good when they have the momentum but don't react well when the opposition has it.  As some commentators have noted, they don't have players who instinctively roll back to stem the tide (cf. Geelong).  How Scott must wish that he could be a coach on the ground as happens in the U10s, or that he could fit every player with an earpiece and micromanage them when the going gets tough.  Fancy not getting men behind the ball in a number of games this year when they coughed up good leads in the last few minutes.  The collective IQ to do the right things develops glacially rather than overnight because of media stories.  Let's face it, Brad Scott is a former hard-nosed defender and it's impossible to believe he hasn't tried to inculcate a defensive mindset into his players over the last couple of years.  No doubt his game plan tells the players what they should do to wrest control of a game, and yet the players haven't been able to apply it. 

Media attention might be able to increase a side's collective intensity, but it's not as if North have lacked this.  They are usually the side that jumps out of the blocks well.  Media scrutiny, if it would have any value, would impact that initial phase of the game.  After half-time, it's pretty unlikely that there'd be any residual benefit.  By that stage, the way the game has unfolded and physical stress would have made the players forget the pre-game happenings. 

Reply #23
I thought Watson did enough to keep his spot

It concerns me though how slow he is when his opponent leads off him.

Did notice one or two times how well he closed once he got going. Maybe to catch Reiwoldt on the lead in the last qtr and got the spoil in.

Never let us down in any game with the seniors so it's fair we persist.

Hopefully Waite's fit. Would love a 3-pronged forward line.

Reply #24
This is a really important issue that you've raised, Mav: Watson would not be a good match up on Daw, because Daw has pace and doesn't relate well to physical pressure. I'm not sure we do have anyone who fits that classification,but Watson isn't it.
A year or so ago I would have put Laidler on Daw: Laidler doesn't have the pace, but he is spot on for the body contact, reads the ball well in the air and often plays on bigger with success. That is not a likely match up.
I guess we'll have to watch to see who North is considering as its 2nd or 3rd tall forward.
IMO, they only one who could play on Daw to match his freaky atheltism is Waite.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
I wonder how an underdone Betts will pull up this week.
Mick stated him being a bit ginger was the reason for being the sub.
The three amigo's are due to fire...!

Reply #26
If Waite is right to play Id bring him back in and play him, Henderson and Rowe forward to get one off the leash against Thompson and Grima. Keep Watson in and down back with Jamison. Id like one of Graham or Menzel in this week.

Reply #27
North play transition football as well as anyone. As others have mentioned there problem is controlling the tempo of the game when the opposition has momentum. Stkilda were still able to move the ball through the centre of the ground fairly easily last week. We need to raise our defensive intensity against North. Our 3 small forwards need to apply huge pressure to keep the ball in. Pressure North and take away their space and you suffocate them. We need to raise our game.
Eat more chooks

Reply #28
Hopefully the AFL beef up security to stop the North fans from booing and abusing Judd.

Post of the week right there.....love your work mbb, love it......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #29
http://www.nmfc.com.au/

North whacked a picture of Juddy on their website

what are they trying to do?