Skip to main content
Topic: RD 17 : North Melbourne v Carlton (Pre-game Jibber-Jabber) (Read 46558 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 17 : North Melbourne v Carlton (Pre-game Jibber-Jabber)

Reply #45
This weeks game will tell me a little bit about where the players are with their mental toughness. Win and it's a step forward, lose and MM has an even tougher job ahead of him than I 1st thought!
We will win, nothing surer. Better list, better coach.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
This weeks game will tell me a little bit about where the players are with their mental toughness. Win and it's a step forward, lose and MM has an even tougher job ahead of him than I 1st thought!
We will win, nothing surer. Better list, better coach.
I like your confidence !! Unfortunately I don't share it .................. yet !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #47
Bookies don't like us:

Nth $1.80
Blues  $2.02

Will change after selection, as they are the walking wounded.

Reply #48

Sums up my sentiments as well.

This is a game, for us, about mental toughness... for 4 quarters. It's about being mentally tough, no matter what. It's about resilience and absorbing mongrel acts (from the Kangabies... very, very good at sniping). We've more talent on the paddock and a better game plan. But that amounts to zilch if you aint got the ruthless focus between the lug holes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49

Sums up my sentiments as well.

This is a game, for us, about mental toughness... for 4 quarters. It's about being mentally tough, no matter what. It's about resilience and absorbing mongrel acts (from the Kangabies... very, very good at sniping). We've more talent on the paddock and a better game plan. But that amounts to zilch if you aint got the ruthless focus between the lug holes.

Agree and we'd better be prepared for what they will dish up to us or else it will end like the Collingwood game  ::)

Remember Buckley saying his players would respond? Well that's what Scott said this week too. Plus the media have been analysing and criticising the Roos since their weekend capitulation to the Lions so they'll come out feisty and firing!

Reply #50
More acid applied to Norf today....   our chances receding rapidly.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #51
What sort of a club are we when we write off our chances each week because the media attack our opposition. We have become a sad sad club.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #52
Because the last decade has taught us the following;

1.  Playing opposition who we always struggle to beat, even at our best (in this case because we arrogantly regarded them as an irrelevant club and tried to buy them to get their players).
2.  Playing an opposition that we match up poorly against.  They have a real ruck, proper structure and three tall forwards.
3.  Playing opposition that physically intimidate us, sometimes with dog tactics, but generally they just play basic football that is too much for our seagulls.  Goldstein, Swallow, Firrito and Petrie et al. treat us with contempt.
4.  Playing opposition that were woeful last week, have been baked in media and thus have point to prove.
5.  Big game with high stakes - winner is a chance of finals, loser is playing for draft pick position.  We never, ever win those games.
6.  Friday night game, so they want to play well to showcase their club.
7.  Also Friday night, which means we'll probably get Ray.  Ray + the diver = not a good night.

All equals an unsatisfactory result for us - the script is so familiar that it a cliché.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #55

1.  Playing opposition who we always struggle to beat, even at our best (in this case because we arrogantly regarded them as an irrelevant club and tried to buy them to get their players).
2.  Playing an opposition that we match up poorly against.  They have a real ruck, proper structure and three tall forwards.
3.  Playing opposition that physically intimidate us, sometimes with dog tactics, but generally they just play basic football that is too much for our seagulls.  Goldstein, Swallow, Firrito and Petrie et al. treat us with contempt.
4.  Playing opposition that were woeful last week, have been baked in media and thus have point to prove.
5.  Big game with high stakes - winner is a chance of finals, loser is playing for draft pick position.  We never, ever win those games.
7.  Also Friday night, which means we'll probably get Ray.  Ray + the diver = not a good night.

All equals an unsatisfactory result for us - the script is so familiar that it a cliché.

Last year we were crippled with injury when we played them, I think we lost Tuohy in the warm up, and Walker and Joseph were injured and subbed off during the game (someone can confirm I was overseas). Ratts was criticised heavily after this loss too for some reason. This year we have almost a full list to choose from. No excuses.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #56
Time for the team to stand up!

Reply #57
The boys played quite solidly against the Saints, except the half a quarter lapse in the first. I reckon Friday night will be our first game where we string together four solid qtrs and smash the Roos out of the park!

(Obviously my enthusiasm is at quite a high, but hey, sometimes it pays to be optimistic.)

GO BLUES!!  ;D
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #58

Last year we were crippled with injury when we played them, I think we lost Tuohy in the warm up, and Walker and Joseph were injured and subbed off during the game (someone can confirm I was overseas). Ratts was criticised heavily after this loss too for some reason. This year we have almost a full list to choose from. No excuses.

Murphy's first game back from that shoulder injury against Adelaide.
Tuohy was a late change in the warmup.  Lucas came in for him. 
Walker subbed off for a calf staring about 3/4 into the first for Lucas. 
Moving Henderson from forward to back, is the move that killed Ratten this game.  Hendo tweaked the hamstring chasing, but this was a move he made reactionary to Walker going off (and the one that I believe cost him his job as it was one way traffice from that point onwards) and he put Duigan forward after that. 
Joseph was concussed halfway through the second.

Kreuzer pulled up lame from this one with that mystery leg injury that plagued him last season and was our only ruck vs North that game.

His coaching performance was too focussed on containing Petrie, who was given 3 goals by the umpires (from memory).

Should have left Henderson forward, might have saved his career.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #59

Murphy's first game back from that shoulder injury against Adelaide.
Tuohy was a late change in the warmup.  Lucas came in for him. 
Walker subbed off for a calf staring about 3/4 into the first for Lucas. 
Moving Henderson from forward to back, is the move that killed Ratten this game.  Hendo tweaked the hamstring chasing, but this was a move he made reactionary to Walker going off (and the one that I believe cost him his job as it was one way traffice from that point onwards) and he put Duigan forward after that. 
Joseph was concussed halfway through the second.

Kreuzer pulled up lame from this one with that mystery leg injury that plagued him last season and was our only ruck vs North that game.

His coaching performance was too focussed on containing Petrie, who was given 3 goals by the umpires (from memory).

Should have left Henderson forward, might have saved his career.
Excellent summation there Thryleon - by far our most injury affected (and my most unenjoyable as a spectator) game of the year. I believe it was also the last time we saw Hendo for the year, as he succumbed to OP. Joseph was also playing a rare blinder before he got knocked senseless by Ziebell. Jamo also hurt his knee about halfway through the 2nd quarter I think. Judd nearly single-handedly dragged us back into the game in the 3rd, until THAT incident happened, then it was all downhill from there. Although not playing all that well right now, I'm pretty sure Carrazzo didn't play in that game either.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread - they're banged up from their trip to Brizzy last week & if all of their doubtful are named (which is apparently what's gonna happen), then either 1 or 2 could be late withdrawals or they'll take their chances by playing multiple injured players.
Football is life, there is nothing else....