Skip to main content
Topic: 2013 - the year our best players went AWOL (Read 16750 times) previous topic - next topic

2013 - the year our best players went AWOL

So after about 2/3rds of what can only be decsribed as a very mediocre season for CFC we see a lot of forum posters bagging the list and even the Messiah, MM, having a fair old crack at the players (always great for Team spirit Mick - not).

I say BS to all that. The list we have is good (or can be good enough barring injuries) it's just that our top players - the top 6 or 10 or so guys that are the cream - the ones that turn matches or win games ofF their own boot. They aren't turning up either individually or collectively.

Contrast to Geelong - their big guns stand up when the heat is on week in week out, ditto the Hawks and Sydney. We can all name the 6 or 8 players from each of those clubs that everyone knows will stand up and perform when the blow torch is on...... where are the CFC equivalent guys?

It's not the bottom 6 - every side has them - the Tuohys, Armfields etc, all very serviceable as the bit players.

Let's look at our top 12 or so and rate them in 2013.

Ratings are based on what they've done onfield but also factoring in absence due to injury/suspension. I'll be harsh and say 6 is a pass given these guys are regular (dare I say proven) AFL players.

Murphy (Captain) - struggling with the mantle of being Captain? output is way below average. 2011 average 29 disposals a game, 2013 only 22 (and a lot of outside receiving)

Injury didn't help but looks very slow now too. Carrying an injury. 4 out of 10.

Judd

The great man is still the great man. Still our best player and the last man to 'give up'. Some bad disopsal at times but under the heat he attracts..... a gun. 7.5 out of 10.

He can't do it all himself. Shouldn't have to either!!

Gibbs

Some say his best season yet. I say BS. He simply doesn't impose himself on a game at all. Looks lazy and laconic. No one questions the ability or the potential but when will he extract the digit and look like he cares?

Should be kicking a lot more goals too. Gibbs or Selwood - no brainer. Only 24 yo but.....

I would trade for the right deal. Sends a bad message to the younger payers. 4 out of 10.

Kreuzer

Perhaps thus far a bigger disappointment as a #1 pick knee injury notwithstanding. 24 yo and they say big guys take longer. Still he looked awfully slow on Sat night. like many others.....

Am expecting BOG performances from this guy (or I was). Harry took time, hopefully Special K can find a few more gears. Puts in no question, but....

5 out of 10.

Carrots

Barely been on the park this year - again. Last few weeks have been ordinary but can only improve. A very important player for us but time is marching on and they say calf injuries are the curse of the older player. 1 out of 10.

Betts

Started the year in great form. Then the injury, then the report. Now playing as sub allegedly because of niggles. Looked in good touch when on the ground against the Sainters.

Missing his goals. 12 goals in 9 games this year is a fail in my book. 3 out of 10.

Jamison

Great start then the shoulder injury scare. Faded from mid season and looks sluggish at times (carrying the shoulder?) Some terrible clangers against the Saints. 6 out of 10 (overall).

Henderson

A break out year for Hendo (thank God for CFC!) down back and recently up forward. A few mistakes but he's not Robinson Carusoe!

Future AA player. 8.5 out of 10.

Yarran

Perhaps the most skilled player on our list and one of the quickest. Personality clash with Mick or just petulance?

Needs a massive rocket (probably already had it) but no way I would trade him as he is one of our few genuine match winners.

Perhaps time to throw him into the guts - give him a challenge.

All in all a poor year for Chris - 3 out of 10.

Garlett

Great at times, missing at other times. I have often wondered whether the three Amigos have gone on strike collectively - perhaps to protest Yazz's 'treatment'?

oUR LEADING GOAL KICKER WITH 32 GOALS - 2 a game. Can do more to get involved or should MM be doing that. 6.5 out of 10.

Waite

sTILL A GUN WHEN ON THE PARK but injury and suspension.

The suspension for the 1st Saints game was huge, make no mistake. Kicked the whole team in the guts. For that a big fail and at 30/31 he's gone much sooner than later. 4 out of 10.

Laidler (on 2011 form easily top 10) - 0 OUT OF 10. For reasons known to others can't get a gig at senior level. Maybe not smashing it in the 2s but some guys just need senior game time to produce their best. His average days are a lot better than (for example) Simon White's good days imo.

Simmo - super game against the Saints but overall a very average season albeit a new role as a defensive sweeper. 5 out of 10.

So out of this lot, only Hendo and Judd have 'produced' this season.

Surprising we're as close to the 8 as we are given that. Maybe the bottom 6 or so are actually doing ok or have improved?

The question remains?

WHY ARE OUR TOP PLAYERS GOING MISSING SO OFTEN?

Where are the match winning/turning performances?

Was it a mistake to make the introverted Murphy Captain?

Are the Gen Y players simply not relating to the old school master type that MM seemingly is? (the game plan is perhaps too defensive too or is that part of MM's "process")
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: 2013 - the year our best players went AWOL

Reply #1
Great fking post I would applaud that sht a million times if the site would let me!!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
@FB77
Great post FB and some great questions that I hope can be answered sooner rather than later.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
No Walker?
I'd put him up there with Hendo and Judd in terms of performance this season (at least from early rounds anyway).

Reply #4
No Walker?
I'd put him up there with Hendo and Judd in terms of performance this season (at least from early rounds anyway).

I was thinking the very same thing as I read it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
I don't think it is as simple as Fly has outlined but his theory certainly is a contributing factor.

Sometimes, you can have all the talented players you like but they don't ever achieve success. People will look at the coaches, they will also point the finger at the development program or they will be looking for excuses like injuries or suspension as the reasons for non-performance. Whilst they are all quite valid options and actually could be the reason(s) why the team achieves nothing more than mediocre levels, there is also an intangible that does get overlooked time & time again.

Sometimes the group just doesn't work together !! By that I mean they are not emotionally engaged because they are not the right mix of characters. There needs to be some big characters (ie. extroverts) who bind them all-together as well as some back-slappers & encouragers. Don't discount the value of the players who will speak out and tell it like it is, they are not afraid to show their emotions, show that losing hurts them and they don't like it.

Every successful group has a mixture of characters but the bulk of them aren't shrinking violets or Marcel Marceau impersonators. With playing ability being on a par across most AFL lists, its the grey matter & attitude that eventually makes the difference.

We have too many gentlemen, quietly spoken & shy guys at the club right now. Even though a fair proportion of them can play footy, collectively they will never go on and win the big ones because they just don't have the leaders, fighters & shouters amongst them to lead them out of the trenches.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #6
Dont disagree that our better players have been down on output this year but I dont buy the argument that the list is all fine either....the good clubs have about 30 decent players, we dont and need about 5-6 more good senior  players that can impact at senior level.

We wouldnt need to poach Luke Williams from Geelong if the club were  that happy with our recruiting or have Hughes and Rogers swap jobs......

Reply #7
Dont disagree that our better players have been down on output this year but I dont buy the argument that the list is all fine either....the good clubs have about 30 decent players, we dont and need about 5-6 more good senior  players that can impact at senior level.

We wouldnt need to poach Luke Williams from Geelong if the club were  that happy with our recruiting or have Hughes and Rogers swap jobs......

Not saying the list is "fine" EB1, just that even given the list we have they are a long long way from playing their best footy, individually and more importantly, collectively.

Just imagine if Roughead, Buddy, Mitchell, Rioli, Lane, Lewis et all all had mediocre seasons at the same time - they'd be below us on the ladder?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #8
Just imagine if Roughead, Buddy, Mitchell, Rioli, Lane, Lewis et all all had mediocre seasons at the same time - they'd be below us on the ladder?

Lewis, Sewell, Buddy, Birchall and Rioli have been down on previous years.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #9
What FB is saying has a lot of merit IMO - we have plenty of talent on the list that is not performing to its potential and if it did we could be sitting a lot prettier.

However, to go on to win the flag I'm convinced that we need about three very good experienced  players; a KPF (maybe Hendo?), a KPD, and another class, hard-bodied mid. And I agree these should be of the extrovert type - even captain material.

These are the types we need to chase as priorities for next year, not so much the younger untried variety, however talented.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
Apparently we can't win a flag in the next three years so no point going for experience, we need to develop our own and hopefully have them right before blokes like Murphy, Gibbs, Hendo etc are past their prime. Murphy will be 30 in 4 years time will he not? Scary stuff.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
No Walker?

I was thinking the very same thing as I read it!

Could have thrown Walker in there mix too (had to draw the line somewhere) - and yes he's had a 7 our of 10 season thus far imo......

@ Sheik, for sure, it;'s not simple what ails CFC - it seems to have become a cultural issue - perhaps given too many experienced the Pagan Daze and think they're doing pretty darn well right now?  :-[ :-\ :'(

There's a definite lack on hunger/intensity week in week out vis a vis what the top teams throw at a match.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #13
We have too many gentlemen, quietly spoken & shy guys at the club right now. Even though a fair proportion of them can play footy, collectively they will never go on and win the big ones because they just don't have the leaders, fighters & shouters amongst them to lead them out of the trenches.

Who are they? Or if you dont want to name names, how many do we have and how does that stack up against say a Geelong?

Reply #14
Who are they? Or if you dont want to name names, how many do we have and how does that stack up against say a Geelong?

I think it would be easier to list those who have the robust character wouldn't it ??

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"