Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Slaughter Saints (Rejoicing & Backslapping) (Read 27714 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Blues Slaughter Saints (Rejoicing & Backslapping)

Reply #30
I'm not saying lose games on purpose, but if you look at today we had more to get excited about with Johnson playing than we would with Waite or Ellard etc.

When you play young guys, they make errors due to their inexperience and they sure as hell will against all of the teams in the 8 that we play in the run home to the end of the season.

The chances of us winning these matches is very low but if we get some solid game time into the next breed of players its worth it.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #31
Don't think so.

I would say you're giving too much credence to what was a probably one of their less important observations.

No doubt, but they did broadcast it during the 3rd quarter when we were on a scoring streak!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
I'm not saying lose games on purpose, but if you look at today we had more to get excited about with Johnson playing than we would with Waite or Ellard etc.

When you play young guys, they make errors due to their inexperience and they sure as hell will against all of the teams in the 8 that we play in the run home to the end of the season.

The chances of us winning these matches is very low but if we get some solid game time into the next breed of players its worth it.

no team plays to loose games on purpose, these days. Playing young players towards seasons end when finals are gone is no different to teams deciding at a particular stage in their development to offload star senior players in exchange for draft picks. If teams were strictly compelled to value winning immediate games in lieu of ongoing development then you could argue that trading star players at seasons end is a form of tanking. It simply part of the games current setup.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #33

Yes, you're right there.

Reply #34
Ok, only the Saints but apart from our lapse in the second we were hard at it and kept the errors under control as well as taking our opportunities. Pretty pleasing all round but I was especially delighted to see Levi go so well. Maybe, just maybe, we have found a KPF. Lachie looked good forward today also, just as I was saying play him in defence! Speaking of which, Jamo and Sam both looked pretty good. Especially pleased to see Sam now having the confidence to snag a few defensive marks.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
Good win but this Stkilda is one of the worst teams I have seen for years...I pity a star like Rewioldt having to put up with such numpties delivering the ball to him.

I wasnt that impressed to be honest...same players ie Walker turning the ball over in the same way with poor kicks that didnt hit targets...Henderson dropping marks he should have taken but both were saved by Stkilda's inability to make us pay because they were so crape.....
Everitt had a picnic courtesy of inept coaching from Richardson...why a spud like Dennis Lane was allowed to stay on Everitt for so long was laughable....Malthouse got that matchup right...as Dennis Lane was  a zero threat.

Simon White gave us something different which was one positive but I wouldnt count on him kicking 4 goals for the rest of his career...probably will see the end of Waite though as Mick now has another option.
Casboult had it all his own way as the Saints were so undersized...the push off with Montagna was like the Grade 6 kid pushing the Grade 1 kid out of the road....

Didnt really have any poor players as it was so easy to get a kick...Blaine Johnson's tackling was good but he will need to convert better to make it as a AFL senior player
but he does have a red hot go unlike Garlett.

Bell kicked a goal and delivered a nice bump but also looked his usual untidy self with the ball and he needs some games to get the pace of the game again.
Docherty was neat with the footy, Gibbs and Daisy didnt do much but who cares they didnt have to do much as the Saints gave the footy back so often...

Jamison and Rowe were good although delivery to Reiwoldt as I sadi was poor and Stanley drifted out of the game after looking dangerous...
Curnow did a good job and Menzel was also very good early unitl injured.....why he came back on the ground I dont know???
Murphy was ok and did some push and shove stuff which is out of character but I like the way he is warming to his task as captain...

Warnock lumbered around but didnt really dominate and his opponent Longer was a non event also.....

Winning beats losing and the margin was fair given how crape the Saints were but something was missing for me in terms of improvement which may sound strange given how much we won by but the opposition was so poor I couldnt get excited about this game...

Reply #36
Liked Johnson's game. Will only improve.

We usually make hard work of games against lower sides but today we seemed really disciplined and positive (except for about 15 mins in the 2nd qtr). Although the Aints were awful and made some horrendous mistakes. But good sides do what we did today... now bring on the Fluffy Ducks (gulp!).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #37
Good win but this Stkilda is one of the worst teams I have seen for years...I pity a star like Rewioldt having to put up with such numpties delivering the ball to him.

I wasnt that impressed to be honest...same players ie Walker turning the ball over in the same way with poor kicks that didnt hit targets...Henderson dropping marks he should have taken but both were saved by Stkilda's inability to make us pay because they were so crape.....
Everitt had a picnic courtesy of inept coaching from Richardson...why a spud like Dennis Lane was allowed to stay on Everitt for so long was laughable....Malthouse got that matchup right...as Dennis Lane was  a zero threat.

Simon White gave us something different which was one positive but I wouldnt count on him kicking 4 goals for the rest of his career...probably will see the end of Waite though as Mick now has another option.
Casboult had it all his own way as the Saints were so undersized...the push off with Montagna was like the Grade 6 kid pushing the Grade 1 kid out of the road....

Didnt really have any poor players as it was so easy to get a kick...Blaine Johnson's tackling was good but he will need to convert better to make it as a AFL senior player
but he does have a red hot go unlike Garlett.

Bell kicked a goal and delivered a nice bump but also looked his usual untidy self with the ball and he needs some games to get the pace of the game again.
Docherty was neat with the footy, Gibbs and Daisy didnt do much but who cares they didnt have to do much as the Saints gave the footy back so often...

Jamison and Rowe were good although delivery to Reiwoldt as I sadi was poor and Stanley drifted out of the game after looking dangerous...
Curnow did a good job and Menzel was also very good early unitl injured.....why he came back on the ground I dont know???
Murphy was ok and did some push and shove stuff which is out of character but I like the way he is warming to his task as captain...

Warnock lumbered around but didnt really dominate and his opponent Longer was a non event also.....

Winning beats losing and the margin was fair given how crape the Saints were but something was missing for me in terms of improvement which may sound strange given how much we won by but the opposition was so poor I couldnt get excited about this game...

We've improved! We finally manged to beat the bottom team this year after a few attempts...lol!

Reply #38
I reckon Levi will become the new Travis Cloke of the comp (and i mean that as a compliment)!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39
Good win today against very poor opposition.
Brock and Walks have got at least a one week reprieve, both good and used the ball very well but no doubt some will still be calling for them to be dropped.
St Kilda are woeful.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #40
The blokes in the Fox Footy box were actually talking up our list going forward, which I couldn't believe.
Were saying that we ve got a good base to work from (Murph, Gibbs, Thomas,, Everritt, Hendo, Jamison) plus some quality kids coming through (Buckley, Menzel, Johnson, Cripps).
Older but inexperienced players like White, Rowe and Casboult have shown improvement.
If we trade / draft right this year, we can make big strides forward next year.

Reply #41
The blokes in the Fox Footy box were actually talking up our list going forward, which I couldn't believe.
Were saying that we ve got a good base to work from (Murph, Gibbs, Thomas,, Everritt, Hendo, Jamison) plus some quality kids coming through (Buckley, Menzel, Johnson, Cripps).
Older but inexperienced players like White, Rowe and Casboult have shown improvement.
If we trade / draft right this year, we can make big strides forward next year.

Until we play poorly again, then we have squat

Reply #42
Johnson again showed that he has something to offer, gotta keep playing the kid, its the only way he will improve.

If Carrazzo has a serious injury, then it is time for Graham to be a given a full match.

I reckon he'll bring in Cachia.

More a defensive mid.

Just in case you weren't aware Cimm, we aren't playing for wins any more, we are playing for a better draft position.

I d be disgusted if that was the case.
That losing mentality got us nowhere last time around.
Both Hawthorn and Geelong, and to a lesser extent North  have shown that you don't need to totally bottom out to build  a good side.

I'm the same. By all means play the kids but still try everything to win. Tanking just breeds a losing mentality, poor work ethic and poor culture, which is often hard to bounce back from, as we have found.

Whether one gets pick 5 or pick 6 or 7 makes very little difference. You get something decent. We've had no.1's before only to find there was something better after our no.1's. You used to tank before because of the extra priority pick in the top 5, not simply to gain an extra spot or two.

Yep - agree 154%. No tanking under any circumstances. In Nietzsche's terms, it's slave morality.

Reply #43
Good win today against an ineffectual opponent. 

The Aints were woeful, they butchered the ball worse than a battle scene on Vikings.

Our second quarter was terrible, we got ahead of ourselves and looked like our opponents.

Forwards working well together, White was a great move.
Levi's belief is staring to show, very, very happy with the big fella.
L7 (Andrejs) played a blinder of a first half.

Great to have MM at the helm. He's the man to change the culture, cull the pretenders and oversee the necessary transformation our proud club needs.

Now for the Swans.
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #44
I think we underestimate the lose of Curnow for so many weeks. Our most improved player this year, I believe.