Skip to main content
Topic: RD 17 : Blues Defeat Kangaroos (After-Match Defibrillators) (Read 56892 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 17 : Blues Defeat Kangaroos (After-Match Defibrillators)

Reply #135
The North fans should ask their coach why, when they have more talls than we do, he didn't have one or two of them take some of the ruck to give Goldstien a break.

In the end Kreuzers's ability to cover the ground was worth more than a couple of hit outs.

A truly dumb decision.
Must admit I'm surprised at the creed Norf Scott gets for having achieved nothing in 3 years  (or is it 4 years)
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #136
Liked the line in the Age match report today, "North never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity."  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #137
Are people influenced too much by statistics?

Watson's man was Robbie Tarrant for anyone in doubt, I mentioned in my discussions prior to the game that it was always likely to be him, but that I thought North should have played Daw instead, I also think if they did... they would have won this game.

Watson was so far behind Tarrant on the lead  tonight that it was embarrassing. I was sitting with a North mate and pointed out the contest before the game, but both agreed that it was unlikely Tarrant would be able to exploit it, because if he gets a free hit at a contested pack mark he is going to reach in to mark, or turn away, because he severely lacks the fortitude required to put a body into the contest, he also is only an average mark anyway and when he kicks a few goals it is often with great kicks, which he is.

I think Tarrant created plenty of chances to influence the game and very little that Watson done had any  influence on Tarrant not taking those chances.

Now I have said negative things about Watson before, so perhaps this comes across as biased.... But I absolutely think he had a poor game, it would be akin to saying in the first half McInnes beat Black... nope Black's horrific kicking beat himself. I do think McInnes was better in the 2nd half and the same goes for Watson.

I wasn't at the game last night, but i was there last week. I made some comments about how Watson was used last week and although its tough to guage on TV it appears he was used in a similar role.

Essentially he is used as the spare man who fills the hole.
Last week he played in front of Riewoldt, this week Petrie.

So he may have let his opponent, Tarrant, run free out of the forward line and trailed behind him....but that was probably the plan. Ensure he doesn't get the ball inside 50. If he is outside 50, help out Jamo.

Smart play by Mick as it's worked 2 weeks in a role, using a guy that most people thought was destined for the scrap heap.

That paints a nice picture Kruddler, but that simply wasn't the case. He wasn't a floater, chopout, third man up. He had a direct man he spent a lot of time chasing and that man, despite not being overly quick himself, absolute put 10-15m on him in just about every lead. The worst example was when Tarrant lead to about 60 out, Watson chasing, then he double back into the pocket with Watson about 25 behind him,  he should have been in prime position to be the 3rd man into the Petrie/Jamo contest, but funnily enough he again (surprised?) completely shirked it and turned away from the ball as Jamo and Petrie hit it.

Watson was smashed by Tarrant's running, just Tarrant failed to take a number of fairly easy grabs and also failed to use the fact he had been able to leave his opponent behind him to impact as the third man in the contest.

It wasn't great coaching and it wasn't great going by Watson, it was completely Tarrant playing another spud game for a spud player
Btw if Watto plays a good game, he deserves Kudos I don't by any means hate, but people can't  rewrite a game to build it up to what it wasn't. It cannot be the bar that is set as a good game, or we will go nowhere.

The same with McInnes on Black early, Black was killing him early and looked unbelievable, he didn't covert so therefore McInnes had done his job??? Not a chance, McInnes had to (and did)  lift

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #138
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-midfield-lost-but-we-still-won-says-malthouse-20130720-2qahf.html

This disturbs me:  :o ::) :-[

"Well, you've got to hold your nerve a little bit. There was a temptation to play Simon White – we'll consider that next time.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-midfield-lost-but-we-still-won-says-malthouse-20130720-2qahf.html#ixzz2ZZd6iEiY
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #139
The North fans should ask their coach why, when they have more talls than we do, he didn't have one or two of them take some of the ruck to give Goldstien a break.

In the end Kreuzers's ability to cover the ground was worth more than a couple of hit outs.

A truly dumb decision.

Yep, we broke fairly even in the hitouts but Goldstein was knackered in the last quarter and couldnt even make it to some marking contests....Brad Scott is lucky he has a successful coaching twin in Chris because he is flying under the radar somewhat and North are no better than when he started with them 4 years ago. Anyone else would be on the chopping block but brother Chris being successful still has Nth fans and the board hoping Brad will be as good...
His presser was defensive and this after he has a couple of weeks paying out on the players......he refused to praise Carlton apart from our good conversion early and just talked up players like Thomas and Hine.
I think he might be the new Voss next at trade time and try and buy his way out of trouble but like Voss more than likely buy his way into trouble....

Reply #140

A truly dumb decision.

Yep, we broke fairly even in the hitouts but Goldstein was knackered in the last quarter and couldnt even make it to some marking contests....Brad Scott is lucky he has a successful coaching twin in Chris because he is flying under the radar somewhat and North are no better than when he started with them 4 years ago. Anyone else would be on the chopping block but brother Chris being successful still has Nth fans and the board hoping Brad will be as good...
His presser was defensive and this after he has a couple of weeks paying out on the players......he refused to praise Carlton apart from our good conversion early and just talked up players like Thomas and Hine.
I think he might be the new Voss next at trade time and try and buy his way out of trouble but like Voss more than likely buy his way into trouble....

If you go to the North boards on BF half are saying delist Goldstein and the other half are questioning Scotts selection process.

It's just dumb that he wouldn't make Petrie, Black or Tarrant at least go in the ruck when Rowe was on.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #141
Quote from: Raydan link=topic=144.msg3166#msg3166 date=1374277751 Drew Petrie - This guy is huge, he is ruckman size, strong and mobile.[size=12pt
size=12pt] I watched and the shoulder difference between him and Jammo would have been 6-8 cms.[/size] So the reach would have been 10+ cms very hard to deal with without the actual weight difference.

Jammo - standing Petrie is a huge job and he was OK in that regard, but his field kicking has gone to crap.

Curnow - Great game, Harvey had little influence and when you had the ball the useage was very good. Second best on ground behind Jammo.

Couple of things, only 4cm diff between the two, 193cm versus 197cm.

Reading some of the posts here, apparently Petrie is the biggest giant currently playing AFL.....fark me, stop making excuses for a bloke who is fast turning putridness into a weekly expectation.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #142

A truly dumb decision.

I wouldn't mind if Carlton tried to help him out with this bit. There are a couple of North boys who I reckon would look pretty good in Navy Blue !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #143
I know the Watson torp got us a goal but just looked at it again and if it wasn'tfor two North defenders horribly misjudging the flight of the ball I think it would have backfired yet again.

I'd rather not see it done unless the opposition has stuffed their zone.

Reply #144
The frigging replay from Friday night STILL not working on the useless AFL site !  Anyone know anywhere else you can see it on the net ?

2nd rate media content from a 2nd rate organisation.......
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #145

A truly dumb decision.

They showed that Goldstein has been rotated 5 times.... For the year. The YEAR.

Next best was Minson at 55.

And they wonder why they run out of legs.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #146
I know the Watson torp got us a goal but just looked at it again and if it wasn'tfor two North defenders horribly misjudging the flight of the ball I think it would have backfired yet again.

thats the idea mate.  this is what the cause of this act does.  It forces an opponent to stuff up their zone.

The idea of it is to make your opposition second guess what can occur tactically.  If you do the same thing frequently you allow your opponent to figure out how to setup.  This goal may have prevented North from squeazing up and locking us in.  Do it twice, then next time run it out and all of a sudden your oppoisition is unsure on how to setup. 

Especially if you start kicking to secondary targets coming out like a medium forward.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #147

A truly dumb decision.

They showed that Goldstein has been rotated 5 times.... For the year. The YEAR.

Next best was Minson at 55.

And they wonder why they run out of legs.

this was pointed out by Paul roos - on the couch during the week. He suggested correctly, that due to the lack of rotations of KPP, and especially Goldstein, was affecting performances late in games due to fatigue
Scott seems not one to pick up ques from other more notables in the industry - maybe his temper tantrums and an eye for the umpires  performances are clouding his judgement

Reply #148

thats the idea mate.  this is what the cause of this act does.  It forces an opponent to stuff up their zone.

The idea of it is to make your opposition second guess what can occur tactically.  If you do the same thing frequently you allow your opponent to figure out how to setup.  This goal may have prevented North from squeazing up and locking us in.  Do it twice, then next time run it out and all of a sudden your oppoisition is unsure on how to setup. 

Especially if you start kicking to secondary targets coming out like a medium forward.

It doesn't cause them to stuff their zone though. It only works if their zone is stuffed to begin with (ie. no one is covering the centre - and seeing as that is the most dangerous part of the ground and the area which is going to cost you the most damage, that is where most of the focus usually goes into protecting as opposed to say the pockets where zones will happily let you kick to) or someone makes a big cock up.

That's what happened on the weekend. They had the kick covered, two players had it covered actually but they somehow managed to both misjudge the flight of the kick and run under the ball. One player gets a fist on that ball and it costs you a goal.

Reply #149
I liked 2E on Before the Game. Scott said after the game that 2E was lucky he wasn't playing in the 70s after 2E gave Ziebell a love tap with his foot on the shin where Ziebell had previously been kicked (accidentally).

2E's response: "I am lucky, pay was crap in the 70s"  ;D