Skip to main content
Topic: The GWS Gang - Will They Or Won't They ?? (Read 19097 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The GWS Gang - Will They Or Won't They ??

Reply #15
In Juddy's book he make his feelings felt about players with all the ability but a lack of commitment. You cut them loose. He'd rather someone who has a go. His rationale was motivation has to come from within. You can't keep having to motivate players. Only those skilled players on the cusp who need just a small amount of external pressure to get them over the line are worth the effort.

Taking this view I worry about all of them. Plowman maybe if he can get fit.

Reply #16
You've set the bar pretty low Amers.  I reckon at least one of them has to play 100 games.  Still, 200 games out of all six suggests that they would be depth players and we definitely need more depth.

Maybe, 200 is at the low end of what I would consider being a success. It would take 1 player to play 100 and another couple to play 50 games each or something similar. I reckon a couple of that lot will be lucky to play 20 games in Navy Blue, so the others will have to fill in the gaps.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #17
Maybe, 200 is at the low end of what I would consider being a success. It would take 1 player to play 100 and another couple to play 50 games each or something similar. I reckon a couple of that lot will be lucky to play 20 games in Navy Blue, so the others will have to fill in the gaps.

I suppose you can look at this as averages, but 200 games out of six players I think would be below average for the AFL. Do we know what the current up to date AFL averages are, I think they were about 4 years and less than 50 games one or two years back?

The averages need to be put into context over how many teams they include, because including GWS and GC skews the value of using averages if they are constrained to only go back a couple of years. Plus the use of extended lists might have an influence when you consider injury time, work load, etc., etc..

But I would think 200 games total from 6 players is below average, 300 might be closer to the mark.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
All of the 6 have a LOT to prove at this point. But Lamb looked good against the Hawks and Sumner and Plowman are yet to appear.

Jaksch has to become a marking forward - Justin Westhoff type. He's not big enough to be a backman.

Whiley - I really liked the look of him when he first turned up... now not so much. Physically not strong enough to play the role. Ed Curnow was absolutely horrific against Essendon - hacked the ball forward straight to bummers even when under little/no pressure - so there might be a spot there if he can find some confidence. Looks naturally short on confidence though.

Phillips - I really can't see him working out. Would love to be proved wrong but drops everything other than the most basic marks and fumbles a lot on the ground. Not tall enough to be just a tap ruckman... albeit this rating is based on 2 NAB cup games.
Highlights granted, but some decent contested marks here...

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-10-21/get-to-know-andrew-phillips
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
Highlights granted, but some decent contested marks here...

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-10-21/get-to-know-andrew-phillips
Some very nice highlights there agreed, that bloke definitely didnt turn up against the Scum at PP. The dropped marks (relative sitters) in the first qtr were met with some groans by the Carton hierarchy I was sitting in front of. Having said that, he seems to have the tools.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
Liam Sumner

PLAYER BIO
After being selected by the GIANTS with pick 10 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, Liam Sumner made his AFL debut against Carlton in Round 6, 2012. Sumner is a quick and agile midfielder who uses the ball well, breaks the lines and is ferocious at the contest. Though he stands at only 178cm, Sumner is very good overhead and loves a goal.

Season Preview

The 2014 season was one of missed opportunities for the versatile Sumner. Good form in the NEAFL was often followed
by a quiet week or two, affecting his chance of earning a place in the senior team. He played two AFL games for the year, taking his career tally to 10, mostly up forward and in the midfield.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/player-profile/liam-sumner#sthash.EURBBbC9.dpuf

Like Plowman, cursed by injury thus far....but check out his Rd 1 in 2013 vs Swans:

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116569/Liam-SUMNER
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
Liam Sumner

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/player-profile/liam-sumner#sthash.EURBBbC9.dpuf

Like Plowman, cursed by injury thus far....but check out his Rd 1 in 2013 vs Swans:

If/when he's fit and match ready Sumner would be my first choice to try for the vacant small forward role. His "New Blue" highlights reel showed potential:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ZVUkad0mg

Reply #22
Liam Sumner

Interesting how different groups report different outcomes, FinalSiren.com has him much lower rated for the same game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Anyone prepared to change their predictions now ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #24
I doubt that any of Jaksch, Whiley, Sumner or Lamb will be on our list three years from now, and Plowman is only a maybe.
None of them look like certain 100 game players to me except possibly Phillips, who looks like the pick of them, but he has a good way to go.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #25
Sumner played 2 games now after a very interrupted pre-season.

Hit the scoreboard each week and will only get fitter, faster and more tuned in after missing a lot of footy.

Staggering that some are calling for him to be dropped.

Adds some speed in the midfield too. Much needed speed.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #26
Sumner played 2 games now after a very interrupted pre-season.

Hit the scoreboard each week and will only get fitter, faster and more tuned in after missing a lot of footy.

Staggering that some are calling for him to be dropped.

Adds some speed in the midfield too. Much needed speed.

I think Sumner has plenty of upside. I worry Plowman might be a little small for the role he plays, but if he gets into a midfield rotation he could be very valuable.

I am glad to see Phillips on the rise, he has all the attributes if he can find the ball. If we asked the question this week about which ruckmen should be resting forward, I wonder if Kreuzer would still be the first choice!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Why is anyone not happy with Lamb?

If he didn't nail that crucial goal in the third we'd have been sunk.

I like him, he's got a terrific attitude.

I'm far more comfortable with him, Sumner and Wright ball in hand in our forward line than just about anyone on the list.

Can never have enough smart footballers. Phillips was terrific yesterday and the coach loves Plow.

It's called turning over the list, has to be done.

Plowman, Phillips, Sumner, Lamb, Kerridge and Wright (DFA) cost us Menzel.

How anyone thinks we are were foolish for doing that is beyond me.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #28
Whether all or none of them make it long term we have gotten more first and second rounders wrong over the last five years and they are already on track to be part of our team as our older players start to fade out.

The GWS mob have played more than any one player would have to now.

While is the only one who looks done.  The rest are very much part of our team medium term.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #29
Why is anyone not happy with Lamb?

If he didn't nail that crucial goal in the third we'd have been sunk.

I like him, he's got a terrific attitude.

I'm far more comfortable with him, Sumner and Wright ball in hand in our forward line than just about anyone on the list.

Can never have enough smart footballers. Phillips was terrific yesterday and the coach loves Plow.

It's called turning over the list, has to be done.

Plowman, Phillips, Sumner, Lamb, Kerridge and Wright (DFA) cost us Menzel.

How anyone thinks we are were foolish for doing that is beyond me.

good player Lamb, gives his all, but he lacks that mercurial x factor around goals - a little predictable