Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 7 : Pre Game Thread - Blues v Pies (Read 36596 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 7 : Pre Game Thread - Blues v Pies

Reply #135
Tend to agree...

I reckon it will be one of two ways...

1. We have our best forward lines and we all click offensively and win (we are due to just click)
2. The first 6 weeks hit us hard and Collingwood find their feet and win 10+ goals.

Is that the glass half full or half empty? :o

Reply #136

...I'd rather see Rowe or Jones have a crack in the middle at least they force some sort of effort from the opponent. If Jones brought the same physical contest to the ruck that he did with his recent attack on the ball he'd be good value...

Agree. Jones would be a good choice to support Kreuz in the ruck.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #137
Jamo a possible late change if Cloke comes in.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #138
Tend to agree...

I reckon it will be one of two ways...

1. We have our best forward lines and we all click offensively and win (we are due to just click)
2. The first 6 weeks hit us hard and Collingwood find their feet and win 10+ goals.
Option 1 thanks ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #139
Agree. Jones would be a good choice to support Kreuz in the ruck.

You can bet it'll be Casboult doing that role.

I've always found Kreuzer and Casboult to be our best ruck combo. Has been for a few years. Allows Kreuzer to ruck for longer, which suits him alot, and allows Casboult to run around the ground taking marks, which really suits him. Also means he's not close to goal to be kicking at them...lol.

Reply #140

I've always found Kreuzer and Casboult to be our best ruck combo. Has been for a few years. Allows Kreuzer to ruck for longer, which suits him alot, and allows Casboult to run around the ground taking marks, which really suits him. Also means he's not close to goal to be kicking at them...lol.

For sure - Casboult was awesome in the ruck last year.

Reply #141

Agreed, the further Cas is away from goal the better, i dont want him any closer than the 50m arc. I'd love to see he and Kreuze click as a ruck duo, and i'd also love to see them do what they should be doing, bashing oppo mids into the sir walter buffalo repeatedly and giving those pr1ck$ a thing or two to think about other than the ball  >:D

Reply #142
My take on our structures for today's game

Mids:

Probably as strong as our Midfield group will get all year with Cripps back in. Murph, and Gibbs in reasonable form, Daisy and Ed Curnow playing well. Kerridge and Wright providing solid back up and Army giving us some pace. With Taylor Adams and Swan out our midfields are about even-ish

Gibbs head to head with Pendles (if he plays)

Crisp will go to Cripps to blanket him, Cripps will start peeling onions and boiling a pot of water to serve him as a main course  >:D

Sidebottom is an elite runner and probably one of their most damaging players, Curnow is a perfect match

Give Kerridge a job today i reckon. Keep Treloar accountable and make him work for every touch, run off him as much as possible

Forwards:

Wright  Casboult Jones

White Walker Lamb   with Sumner and Army providing Forward pressure

White, Walker,  8) Jones and Casboult gives us a fair bit of marking power down forward, we have some decent smalls that try their guts out and its only a matter of time before they all click. (here's hoping)

Would love to see our forwards leading into space then doubling back to create space for our next forwards to lead and so on and so forth. Rinse and repeat. Hopefully our mids can lower their collective eyes and start hitting targets in our F50.

Defenders:

Plow Rowe 2E

Doc Byrne Simmo.

Geez we look small down back without the Weit. Given that this has been our focus and strong point so far this season i hope that we can help each other out and play an awesome team defence. I think Jamo may be in for a late call-up. Hope not because his form apparently hasnt warranted it but we look like there's not enough butter spread over too much bread down back. Here's hoping it doesn't get down there enough to worry us too much.

I think we'll either win by less than 2 goals or lose by 5+.

Nonetheless i'll be looking for improvement.

Carn the Baggers!

Reply #143
I reckon there will be some late changes.
Not sure if Pendles will get up.
Not sure if Cripps will get up.

Cloke a possibility to come in.
Jamo a possibility to come in.

Todays match will play out very differently if the above changes occur.

In any event, they are taller than us, if pressure the mids, we can force long bombs into their forward line. This gives us a chance to sag off our defenders and kill the contests, with our smaller backline we can run it out relatively easy.

IF we don't get enough pressure in the midfield, we may not be able to stop the strong forwards on the lead and in the air and it could get ugly.

Either way, we need to focus on actually scoring ourselves! Walker and Everitts inclusions should get us at least 4 goals. Casboult spending more time up the ground should mean someone else gets 'his shots' and should lead to another goal or 2.

We need Daisy to continue his form and kick a couple and we are probably about there.

I would put Ed Curnow on Sidebottom and leave him there.
If Pendles plays put Kerridge on him and work him over, drifting forward to take him out of his comfort zone too.

Reply #144
@ BA and Krudds
Great assessments. I think the main issue that will trouble us is their pace, they are quick by foot and by ball movement when they get up and about. They havent quite got it together this year, I hope that continues a little longer.
In a way, I hope Cloke comes in as I doubt he would trouble us the way he is travelling. They would also be far too tall if he did.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #145

I would have said Meat to support K but there seems to be a determination in the club to turn him into a key forward...I agree that much of his best work has been in the ruck/around the ground. But I'd still like to see Jones given a go in the ruck, get him into the game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #146
I would have said Meat to support K but there seems to be a determination in the club to turn him into a key forward...I agree that much of his best work has been in the ruck/around the ground. But I'd still like to see Jones given a go in the ruck, get him into the game.

Jones wouldnt be fit enough to run around in the ruck, let alone him being a weakling in 1 on 1s.

Reply #147
We could rocket up to 12th if we win today. Imagine if we had beaten Richmond like we should've, we'd be pushing finals...lol.

Reply #148
I'm more worried about blokes like Fasolo. Sidebottom and Blair than I am about any of their tall forwards, we've got a nasty habit of goal sneaks kicking bags on us, Tuohy, Byrne and Doc will need to be right on their game.
I can't see a blowout, 3 or 4 goals maximum either way I reckon.
Carlton in from $3.25 to $2.55 over the last few days, so there's a bit of money saying we'll win, for what that's worth.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #149
Jamo in for white who has a corked shin. Not sure how you cork a shin but hey