Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Coburg (Read 35827 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Coburg

Reply #135

Like always, the stats make interesting reading. I don't know who this Goodwin character is, but he got more taps than Wood as well.

8 possessions to Cunningham was disappointing. But he is a kid and will have off days. His level of fitness?

Silvagni is nowhere near fit enough for senior footy. He runs off exhausted far too often. But with the injury breaks he's had, I'm not surprised. How he will be after a couple of pre-seasons: that I'm looking forward to!

Dick: 11 possessions suggests he is not fit at the moment. He was getting 25+ just a few weeks back with no supports on his leg. I don't know what is wrong, but he is no more fit than I am.

Whiley: 3/4 of his possessions came after half time. I think that says something about his will.

Disappointed in Ballard: I thought he might improve enough to be in rookie contention. But he just can't get the ball consistently.

Foster, I read, was extremely impressive. Was very hard and strong in the air and positioned himself very well. Encouraging.

Reply #136
Please do not throw the boy under the bus, lets get him ready for 2018-9 when we can have a decent crack at it (hopefully)

Especially with his old man now firmly ensconced at PP, I'm sure they'll choose the right time to play him.

Reply #137
Sosos isn't far off.

What he does, he does really well.

We are running out of fit willing and able bodies and if you toss up between Everitt or Walker giving you not much, then it's very easy to play a kid who'll give you not much, and will gain more from it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #138
Sosos isn't far off.

What he does, he does really well.

We are running out of fit willing and able bodies and if you toss up between Everitt or Walker giving you not much, then it's very easy to play a kid who'll give you not much, and will gain more from it.
Nah, he doesnt have the size yet for the position he will play.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #139

What is the urgency with Sivagni!?!?  We recruited a set of top up players to buy us time and keep us competitive while our Classes of 2016/17/18 all mature and prepare for senior football. We're not challenging in 2016, we're developing.

Reply #140
Really pleased for foster. Has done some hard yards and you can slowly see the improvement judging by stats and baggers comments. Hope he gets a gig soon

Reply #141
Check out the Korcheck goal at the club website.

Notice the Tap! :o

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-05-24/korchecks-first-goal-vfl-round-7

This bloke could be the real deal!

Great vertical leap, good use of the body and a very well directed tap that creates a clearance.  That hitout was the equal of anything you would see from the AFL's best ruckmen.  Whoever is teaching Korcheck ruckcraft knows what he is doing.  His kicking action is uncomplicated and effective and someone has done a good job there too.

Korcheck's basketball background is evident in the way he protected the ball after marking; probably not ideal if the best option is to move the ball on quickly.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #142
Great vertical leap, good use of the body and a very well directed tap that creates a clearance.  That hitout was the equal of anything you would see from the AFL's best ruckmen.  Whoever is teaching Korcheck ruckcraft knows what he is doing.  His kicking action is uncomplicated and effective and someone has done a good job there too.

Korcheck's basketball background is evident in the way he protected the ball after marking; probably not ideal if the best option is to move the ball on quickly.

Yep...real rebounders technique  plus good arm extension when he took that mark....will need to be more heads up and looking forward/sideways but I'd rather he take his time than give the ball away. I was impressed with that centre tap out and the kicking action was ok....
He has real possibilities and looks better than Gorringe rucking IMO...

Reply #143

Like always, the stats make interesting reading. I don't know who this Goodwin character is, but he got more taps than Wood as well.

8 possessions to Cunningham was disappointing. But he is a kid and will have off days. His level of fitness?

Silvagni is nowhere near fit enough for senior footy. He runs off exhausted far too often. But with the injury breaks he's had, I'm not surprised. How he will be after a couple of pre-seasons: that I'm looking forward to!

Dick: 11 possessions suggests he is not fit at the moment. He was getting 25+ just a few weeks back with no supports on his leg. I don't know what is wrong, but he is no more fit than I am.

Whiley: 3/4 of his possessions came after half time. I think that says something about his will.

Disappointed in Ballard: I thought he might improve enough to be in rookie contention. But he just can't get the ball consistently.

Good observations re Foster, Capt Crash. His improvement over the weeks has been very noticeable and he's got a ripper left foot. Likewise Billy Gowers has shown more over the past couple of weeks... seems to have a terrific attitude and is well liked by his team mates.

Reckon Dick is carrying an injury, wasn't himself at all on Sunday.

Boekhorst was in and amongst it until injured and missed the second half.

SOSOS was dangerous until he tired in the second half. But his old man started slowly as well - played many games in the twos.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #144

That doesnt mean he can't play senior footy sooner in a different position.

You see the way he moves, the way he uses the ball, and the way he actually gets involved in contests that he isnt that far off the mark at VFL level.  His consistency is a bigger issue than his size.  Some players just never get big, but are the tough nuggetty wiry types.

What is the urgency with Sivagni!?!?  We recruited a set of top up players to buy us time and keep us competitive while our Classes of 2016/17/18 all mature and prepare for senior football. We're not challenging in 2016, we're developing.

No rush.  Part of his developement will be to get a taste for footy at the top level.

Look guys, I get the idea that people see things as guys rushing the inclusion of players, but it isnt anything to do with that.

Its solely to do with who we are playing, vs who is available, vs who is putting their hand up for senior footy, vs what roles are available.

The idea that players are on your senior list on slow heat is a furphy.  They are senior footballers who are currently not playing senior football for a variety of reasons one of which is who else is keeping them out of the side.

If SOSOS is putting his hand up (and thats not to say he is or isnt) then he will play regardless of being a bit undersized as he will simply play a different role.

Jack could quite easily play "small forward" as it currently stands if we need him to.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #145
The coach's assessment is a lot more positive this week and it's pleasing to read that some of our young blokes are improving.

51. Blaine Boekhorst
Stats: 9 disposals, 3 inside 50s, 5 handball receives, 1 goal
From the coach: Blaine only played the first half before going down with an unfortunate injury. For the time he was on, he gave us some good outside run and kicked our first goal of the game from 50.

60. David Cuningham
Stats: 9 disposals, 2 inside 50s, 6 handball receives
From the coach: He contributed well around the stoppages and got better as the game went on in terms of his run and spread: he continued to build fitness in his second week after a couple of weeks out.

26. Matthew Dick
Stats: 11 disposals, 6 handball receives
From the coach: He defended well in our back half and stood up well at stages: he didn’t give us the same drive from the back half as we’re used to but he battled manfully throughout the day.

31. Jayden Foster
Stats: 19 disposals, 10 marks, 6 handball receives
From the coach: ‘Foz’ competed well, and showed some really good positioning while being brutal in the air on a number of occasions down back. He also used the ball well in our back half.

34. Jesse Glass-McCasker
Stats: 12 disposals, 4 marks
From the coach: Jesse was similar to Foster in that he held up well over four quarters: he continues to work hard on his positioning and defensive side of his game, and is making positive strides in his development.

38. Billy Gowers
Stats: 19 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal
From the coach: It was probably Bill’s best game of the season, where he played off half-back and was really aggressive in his positioning and with a couple of body spoils. He also kicked a nice running goal in the third quarter.

32. Nick Graham
Stats: 32 disposals (14 contested), 10 marks (4 inside 50), 5 clearances, 8 tackles, 3 goals
From the coach: Nick was once again terrific, playing on-ball with a chunk of time spent forward as well. He set the tone around the contest early with his tackling efforts and led from front all afternoon.

48. Kristian Jaksch
Stats: 18 disposals, 7 marks (5 inside 50, 4 contested), 4 goals
From the coach: I thought it was a really solid performance from KJ, who played an important role in the front half competing in air to finish with four goals while also giving support defensively at stages. He continues to build form and has assumed a leadership role with the younger players.

80. Matthew Korcheck
Stats: 2 disposals, 19 hitouts, 1 goal
From the coach: Big Matty had an impact in the ruck with some really impressive tap work, while he kicked his first senior goal which was definitely a highlight. He showcased his continued improved understanding of the game.

47. Ciaran Sheehan
Stats: 13 disposals, 3 inside 50s, 7 handball receives
From the coach: It was great to have ‘Gussy’ back with us: he had some important contests on half-back and improved as the day went on. He began providing run and carry and will only get better as he continues to build form and fitness.

2. Jack Silvagni
Stats: 8 disposals, 3 hard-ball gets, 3 goals
From the coach: SOS was really lively - I thought his work-rate in front of ball was impressive and gave us the chance to score. He continued to show some positive signs, and while he finished with three goals he probably could have finished with a couple more.

67. Clem Smith
Stats: 20 disposals, 6 loose-ball gets, 2 inside 50s, 7 handball receives
From the coach: It was one of Clem’s better games for the year as well which was encouraging. He topped high-speed running so his work-rate was much improved and his tackle on Coburg’s ruckman in the third quarter showed his hunger. He provided plenty of spark around the ball.

76. Jason Tutt
Stats: 37 disposals, 10 marks, 6 inside 50s, 7 clearances, 11 handball receives, 3 goals
From the coach: Tutty was really good, he had a good balance of winning inside and outside ball and gave us great run all day. He was generally composed and used the ball well, and his hard work was rewarded with three goals.

65. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
Stats: 15 disposals, 3 hard-ball gets, 3 loose-ball gets, 5 handball receives
From the coach: He played a role off half-back and defended pretty well. He had some important moments with ball in hand from the back half where he was able to set us up, and showed some encouraging contested efforts which had been lacking a bit in recent weeks.

42. Mark Whiley
Stats: 16 disposals, 4 hard-ball gets, 5 clearances, 3 tackles
From the coach: Mark’s first game back for five weeks so he was a bit rusty early, but he eventually worked into the game (11 disposals in the second half). He had a couple of important tackles and his clearance work improved as the game went on.

36. Cameron Wood
Stats: 11 disposals, 16 hitouts, 4 clearances
From the coach: Woody competed hard in the ruck, and when he gets his hands on the ball in the contest it generally went to our advantage. He continues to work hard in covering the ground and - coming off a limited preparation - will continue to build form.

It seems that we are building some depth with our defenders and could have some midfielders putting pressure on the senior team.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into Fraser's comments but it seems that he thinks Jack has a way to go before he'll be ready for AFL.  That's certainly my impression from my limited observations.  He certainly has the potential and I'd rather see him nurtured so that he takes the next step when he is ready.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #146

A big part of development is to play AFL games. But more importantly - with class like that he'll find a way to impact games.

Reply #147
A big part of development is to play AFL games. But more importantly - with class like that he'll find a way to impact games.

Couldn't agree more. The only thing holding SOSOS back at present is match fitness. Barring injury, he'll play senior footy this year and I am sure his team mates knows how to look after him re not throwing him to the wolves too early. He aint gonna learn the caper by player in the magoos too long.

Ps It was great to see Jo, Serge and the other family members at Preston on Sunday supporting/watching SOSOS.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17