Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Coburg (Read 35834 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Coburg

Reply #16
It's a fair question, why avoid answering it?

Casboult's career is saved by his contested marking, take that away and he probably even falls in behind Jaksch and Gorringe.

For Buckley, other than being "The Son of a Gun", what is his "trick"?

What earns him a spot on an AFL match day in either the pocket or a flank ahead of Sumner, Lamb, Byrne, Tuohy, Armfield, etc., etc.? They are the players he is competing with, we can assume he is well behind players like Simpson, Murphy, E.Curnow and Docherty in pecking order, so no point listing them, so he competes for a 2nd or 3rd tier spot at the moment.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17

Casboult's career is saved by his contested marking, take that away and he probably even falls in behind Jaksch and Gorringe.

What earns him a spot on an AFL match day in either the pocket or a flank ahead of Sumner, Lamb, Byrne, Tuohy, Armfield, etc., etc.? They are the players he is competing with, we can assume he is well behind players like Simpson, Murphy, E.Curnow and Docherty in pecking order, so no point listing them, so he competes for a 2nd or 3rd tier spot at the moment.

I think the "meep meep" is the answer - getaway speed.

Reply #18
re: Buckley...popular player  within the group and a father/son.....reckon one out of Boekhorst, Tutt and Buckley will be retained and my money would be on the father/son pick getting a reprieve...

Reply #19

Pace and pressure.    Run and carry

Reply #20
I think the "meep meep" is the answer - getaway speed.

OK then, if pace is his trick where does he sit in the pecking order versus say Byrne or Armfield from the above list?

Is Buckley's lateral movement as good as those two? Maybe equal of Armfield but I think Byrne has him covered, Byrne and Armfield certainly have him covered for tackling pressure and body on body work.

re: Buckley...popular player  within the group and a father/son.....reckon one out of Boekhorst, Tutt and Buckley will be retained and my money would be on the father/son pick getting a reprieve...

I'm of the exact same thinking and I'm very glad somebody else posted it! :D

I think you can add Smith to the list.

At the moment I think Boekhorst holds the most "potential", and that in some respect is a bit sad! :(
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21

As others have pointed out, it was the answer.

Maybe this helps...

Buckley has speed, dash and dare. Backs himself in against anybody.

Does that earn him a game over others? Has done.

From the other names you mentioned, i think Boeky and Byrne offer the most. But i don't think you would cut him from the list and its got nothng to do with his last name.

Reply #22
OK then, if pace is his trick where does he sit in the pecking order versus say Byrne or Armfield from the above list?

Is Buckley's lateral movement as good as those two? Maybe equal of Armfield but I think Byrne has him covered, Byrne and Armfield certainly have him covered for tackling pressure and body on body work.

I'm of the exact same thinking and I'm very glad somebody else posted it! :D

I think you can add Smith to the list.

At the moment I think Boekhorst holds the most "potential", and that in some respect is a bit sad! :(

I haven't seen enough of him to form a sensible opinion. I think he looks a little lost at times, as if unsure of what he should be doing, and where he should be. I think he is a perfect student for someone like Bolts, and if Bolts can't get this aspect to improve, then I'm not sure anyone can.

Reply #23
Buckley has speed, dash and dare. Backs himself in against anybody.

Does that earn him a game over others? Has done.

From the other names you mentioned, i think Boeky and Byrne offer the most. But i don't think you would cut him from the list and its got nothng to do with his last name.

I think a list can only have a couple of that type, and then it becomes a question of what else do they bring? Most of the others in that list have some "else".

Like EB1, I think spots will be limited and will get even harder to win if Sheehan gets himself fit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Again who survives on our list at the end of the season will have more to do with what is available to come in, vs what we have to part with to get the appropriate draft picks (and free up list spots) to get our targets from the draft.

At the moment, we are on track to finish somewhere between 10th and 16th.

Ive done the ladder predictor and we will finish roughly 8-11 wins depending on form and fitness of both us and our opposition.  Best case 10th, worst case 16th (losing some we dont expect to). 

That means a draft pick between 3-9 and 20-26 before free agency changes the order.

If we decide our draft targets will be there for these picks, then it wont matter, as the decision will be Dylan Buckely, or pick 50 something odd, and I would have money on Buckley surviving that choice.  Id say the club is more likely to trade something else to get us back another shot at a second rounder, in which case it all depends on how many selections we can get in the first round vs how many spots we have to free up on our senior list, vs which other players get the chop ahead of him.

This is what we did last year, and this is what I anticipate SOS will aim to do this year.  It maybe that the draft is full of the sort of players we decide we dont need much of, and we might decide to trade for future picks rather than current picks. 

Any of our players futures are not set in stone.  It all depends on what happens at the draft table, and free agency accordingly.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
Bucks isn't in the best 25 this year and will probably slip further next year.

Pity, I like the kid. I honestly think he's better suited to a midfield role, but I don't think it will happen.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #26
I'd be keeping the like of Boekhorst and Buckley on the list for sure in 2017.

Tutt can go along with guys like Dick and Whiley.

Reply #27
I'd be keeping the like of Boekhorst and Buckley on the list for sure in 2017.

Tutt can go along with guys like Dick and Whiley.
Agreed.

DVR on the chopping block as well unless he lifts.

Reply #28
Northern Blues vs Coburg Lions
 Sunday 22nd May, 2016
 Preston City Oval at 2.00pm      

Northern Blues

B: 22. D Aujla 31. J Foster 26. M Dick
HB: 47. C Sheehan 34. J Glass-Mccasker 38. B Gowers
C: 65. D Viojo 42. M Whiley 76. J Tutt
HF: 23. H Kerbatieh 48. K Jaksch 51. B Boekhorst
F: 67. C Smith 2. J Silvagni 1. T Wilson
R: 36. C Wood 32. N Graham 60. D Cuningham
Int: 10. T Totevski 35. K Declase 45. D Stevens 12. Z Ballard 80. M Korcheck 6. G Strachan 8. B Bransgrove 37. T Jones

23P: 53. M Perry

Coburg Lions

B: 21. R Lehmann 27. K Staples 62. L Ryan
HB: 33. N Linton 9. N Blair 19. M Mattingly
C: 7. L Johns 26. L Hunt 32. R Schraven
HF: 17. D Hill 16. L Featherstone 1. B Allan
F: 5. J Cauchi 12. P McEvoy 10. D Younan
R: 9. T Goodwin 8. O Uysal 3. N Thomas
Int: 18. M Merlo 37. K Posar 44. J Madden 6. M Orr 42. J Kalanj 49. T McConville 41. M Kovacevic 15. J Iacobaccio

23P: 14. M Ercolano

If everyone plays, we look a LOT better. But there is little chance of everyone playing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
Northern Blues vs Coburg Lions             
Sunday 22nd May, 2016
Preston City Oval at 11.00am

Northern Blues

B: 78. M Walson 50. B Jordan 58. M Vesnaver
HB: 6. G Strachan 35. K Declase 54. C McCabe
C: 21. C Barrett 25. A Brown 5. J Cyster
HF: 41. J Cripps 70. S Peet 10. T Totevski
F: 45. D Stevens 30. S Bolger 37. T Jones
R: 80. M Korcheck 12. Z Ballard 24. T Roos
Int: 82. D Iermano 9. J Corboy 74. B Malual 75. C Le Favi 72. M Reyment 77. L Hickey 13. C Adams 66. M Dawson 52. J Booth
55. W Krithararis 64. L Jacques 16. J Thorpe

Coburg Lions

B: 34. S Gregory 22. S Caven 13. M Stillman
HB: 20. N Robortella 38. J Clarke 37. K Posar
C: 15. J Iacobaccio 18. M Merlo 30. J James
HF: 42. J Kalanj 44. J Madden 53. A Valeri
F: 45. R Bamblett 41. M Kovacevic 43. T Sutherland
R: 6. M Orr 11. G McDonagh 49. T McConville
Int: 40. J Flower 57. J Muscatello 35. C Holdsworth 24. Z Wunhym 50. C Urquhart 55. G Romios 48. C Dalgleish 46. R Free 51. J Corigliano 60. J Tegart 31. J Hickey 63. M King

Live Long and Prosper!