Skip to main content
Topic: What Has Turned Around Bryce Gibbs ?? (Read 25398 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What Has Turned Around Bryce Gibbs ??

Reply #60
Its also biased towards those who are actually playing, that is those who don't play cannot get a vote.
A necessary evil, I'm afraid. if you don't play, it is hard to impress the voting public.

Last year Gibbs and MANY others struggled in this area. Gibbs got rubbed out for multiple weeks for things the have since been severely under-punished. He then missed over half the season with injury. Very hard to impress in the medical rooms. Nor was he alone. By the end of the year we could barely field a team, and a number of guys couldn't play at all (Sheehan, for example, and Byrne, but for one short appearance).
It was one of the reasons we struggled. I don't think we had a full list for a single game.

To be honest, I hope our voting system is not there to justify the Match Committee's decisions, because they don't always get the right. Last year the MC did not have a good run. This year they appear to have had a better run. They made decisions that mystified me, but that worked out well. I hope the trend continues, but I will always criticize decisions that I think are dubious at best.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #61
I think since Gibbs has been at the club there have been about 4 changes to how we actually vote on the B+F.

Why the changes keep occuring and who is driving them i have no idea.

Reply #62
I think since Gibbs has been at the club there have been about 4 changes to how we actually vote on the B+F.

Why the changes keep occuring and who is driving them i have no idea.
Really? I've been running the Jim Park for a couple of years now and I haven't made any changes that I can recall?
Or are you referring here to the John Nicholls? THAT has undergone changes that I can recall, including a name change.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #63
Really? I've been running the Jim Park for a couple of years now and I haven't made any changes that I can recall?
Or are you referring here to the John Nicholls? THAT has undergone changes that I can recall, including a name change.

John Nicholls medal. ;)

I can't keep track of them all, but i think it changed 3 times in 3 (or 4) years.

Reply #64
I wouldn't argue with that. I'm not sure how much input the coach or the MC have in the design of the B&F, but it would make comparisons somewhat easier of they stuck with the same format for a while. It will be interesting to see if it changes again under Bolton. I hope not.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #65
This is actually his 10th year in the system and he's finished in the top 10 in our B&F every year except 2015, when he only played 10 games.  The Match Committees over those 9 seasons must have reckoned he was doing what he was asked

So you are happy with top 10 in Carlton's B&F?
What about an AA representation just once???
He is a former no.1 draft pick earning very good money.
But everyone says he is playing so well because he enjoys the environment.

My take is, he should pull his finger out regardless.
You don't pay a CEO top dollar then let him complain about the culture of the company.
Players of this calibre and pay should have the capability to change the place and get others to follow.

FFS you can't seriously believe he has performed at an acceptable level over his career.
Why is it ok for him to all of a sudden

Reply #66
This is actually his 10th year in the system and he's finished in the top 10 in our B&F every year except 2015, when he only played 10 games.  The Match Committees over those 9 seasons must have reckoned he was doing what he was asked

DJ..you dont reckon the degree of difficulty in making our top ten every year is reduced as he has played in such a poor team that has been light on for talent?.....Gibbs in cruise mode is still going to be better than a lot of the banana's we have had running around...IMO.

re: His money...JH commented on his money.....from memory he isnt on anything overboard, might have been 500k and a bit [per year but nothing outrageous...not sure if
thats is a reflection on Gibbs worth as viewed by the club at the time or the man himself happy with the club and prepared to take a bit less to help the club.

I'm really enjoying the new Bryce Gibbs regardless of the above and hope he can keep performing....

Reply #67
DJ..you dont reckon the degree of difficulty in making our top ten every year is reduced as he has played in such a poor team that has been light on for talent?.....Gibbs in cruise mode is still going to be better than a lot of the banana's we have had running around...IMO.

re: His money...JH commented on his money.....from memory he isnt on anything overboard, might have been 500k and a bit [per year but nothing outrageous...not sure if
thats is a reflection on Gibbs worth as viewed by the club at the time or the man himself happy with the club and prepared to take a bit less to help the club.

I'm really enjoying the new Bryce Gibbs regardless of the above and hope he can keep performing....

Good point about the degree of difficulty, even if he made the top 5 in 6 of his 9 completed seasons (Murphy has six top 5 finishes too).  We did make finals in four of those seasons so, at worst, it was in an average team. 

You're right about his pay packet, we have been getting very good value for money from Gibbs (and most of our better players for that matter) and will continue to do so.

I reckon the criticism of Gibbs would virtually disappear if he lost his man bun and acquired a sleeve.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #68

Pretty much agree. Additionally, there aren't many good players in struggling teams who get the votes in external things like Brownlow votes, AFLCA, AA nominations etc. They do exist, but they're pretty thin on the ground. Only the blokes in well performing teams seem to get noticed. IMO.

Reply #69
Good point about the degree of difficulty, even if he made the top 5 in 6 of his 9 completed seasons (Murphy has six top 5 finishes too).  We did make finals in four of those seasons so, at worst, it was in an average team. 

You're right about his pay packet, we have been getting very good value for money from Gibbs (and most of our better players for that matter) and will continue to do so.

I reckon the criticism of Gibbs would virtually disappear if he lost his man bun and acquired a sleeve.

That is suggesting he has played really well until he sported the man bun.
That is crazy.
He has simply never worked as hard as what he has recently.
If he had have, he would be on $750k per year.

When he perform regularly, chases and tackles, he will earn a reputation as a champion.

Don't get me wrong, he is much improved lately and I hope he continues to do the same, but he must be rated on his total output over 8-10 years, not a month.

Reply #70
That is suggesting he has played really well until he sported the man bun.
That is crazy.
He has simply never worked as hard as what he has recently.
If he had have, he would be on $750k per year.

When he perform regularly, chases and tackles, he will earn a reputation as a champion.

Don't get me wrong, he is much improved lately and I hope he continues to do the same, but he must be rated on his total output over 8-10 years, not a month.

Gibbs is probably the most controversial and divisive player on our list, and will be even after his playing days are done.

Reply #71
i'd trade him in a heart beat - for a good trade.....but like others i simply don't see CFC letting him go.

Undoubtedly a very good player - when he wants to be......Bolts may have him firing now but will Gibbs keep it up medium to long term.

Certainly the type of player that could play well into his 30s.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #72
i'd trade him in a heart beat - for a good trade.....but like others i simply don't see CFC letting him go.

Undoubtedly a very good player - when he wants to be......Bolts may have him firing now but will Gibbs keep it up medium to long term.

Certainly the type of player that could play well into his 30s.

He certainly could, particularly as he has managed to avoid debilitating injuries.  If he does play well into his 30s, he'll still be dividing supporters' opinions.  He's a bit like Buckley and Collingwood supporters in that regard.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #73
he is our best ranked player in the AFL rankings.

He is our undisputed best player at the club.

Reply #74
Currently the third best mid in the AFL after 10 rounds.

49 Dan Hannebery (Syd)
 47 Todd Goldstein (NM)
 44 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
 40 Bryce Gibbs (Carl)
 39 Joel Selwood (Geel)
 38 Luke Shuey (WC)
 38 Rory Sloane (Adel)
 37 Jack Viney (Melb)
 36 Tom Lynch (GC)
 36 Dustin Martin (Rich)
 36 Jack Ziebell (NM)