Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 9: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. North Melbourne (Read 31374 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 9: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs. North Melbourne

Reply #15
Exposed again against a good side.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #16
Exposed again against a good side.

We'll get exposed against good sides for a while yet. Nature of the beast when rebuilding. It's where we are at. Our job is to learn, improve and do well against sides around us. If we weren't exposed against top sides then you talk top 4 and premierships. We're not at the point yet.

After Geelong, if we beat Brisbane and St.Kilda the 2 rounds after that then we're 6-6. Even just 3 wins from the last 10 games would give us 9. That would be something we'd take in a heartbeat if offered that pre-season.

Reply #17
A lot of the boys looked too tired. Lethargic

Reply #18
Prefer to bring Jaksch in rather than play Gorringe. He contested marking will be very handy. Wood can ruck most of the day, as he did last year, with a bit of relief from someone, anyone, for a few minutes here and there.
Reckon both Wood and Jaksch need to come in, probably at the expense of Everitt and Walker. Go with three talls up forward - Gorringe, Jones and Jaksch, and let Rowe go back, possibly with Jamison in for Tuohy. He needs to regain some form in the twos as well.

Reply #19
 Up side.
No injuries.
Sustained effort.
Daisy, Curnow, Gibbs, Armfield, and to a lesser degree Murphy, Rowe, and Simmo. Solid effort from the seniors against a very in form bigger bodied side.
Some great learning for all.
Fabulous signs from the young ones: Sumner, Byrne, Docherty, Crippa, Plowman, and Weitering returning from injury.
Oh and scraping the bottom of the barrel.... No reports ::)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #20
The result is pretty ugly but I wasn't too unhappy with our effort. In the past, 70+ point losses were just disgusting to watch.

We seriously lacked a genuine ruckman and key forward target. Gorringe certainly isn't a ruck man but he does some nice things, but then at times he doesn't show enough intensity. That could just be his lack of AFL experience, I dunno.

I think our best 22 can compete well but our depth is still really thin. I think Boekhorst might have to come in for Lamb and Jaksch for Walker.

I was impressed with the development of Byrne and Sumner. Coming along nicely.

Reply #21
We were outclassed pretty much all over the field, stats are fairly meaningless.
As someone else said we struggle badly against classy big bodied midfielders and Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow and Dal Santo were too much for us to handle apart from Goldstein's dominance.
A few positives.
Docherty continued his great run of form, Byrne looks something pretty special, Weitering learned something about playing on seasoned forwards and Sumner shows a bit despite his wayward goal kicking.
We never gave up and fought it right out but tonight showed clearly how far off the pace we are.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #22
We were outclassed pretty much all over the field, stats are fairly meaningless.
As someone else said we struggle badly against classy big bodied midfielders and Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow and Dal Santo were too much for us to handle apart from Goldstein's dominance.
A few positives.
Docherty continued his great run of form, Byrne looks something pretty special, Weitering learned something about playing on seasoned forwards and Sumner shows a bit despite his wayward goal kicking.
We never gave up and fought it right out but tonight showed clearly how far off the pace we are.

Yes, along way to go but we knew that. Geelong will pump us then we have the chance at 2 more wins straight after that against Brisbane and St.Kilda. We're a chance at 8-9 wins this year with wins against sides at our level, which is all, or even more than we could expect.

Reply #23
Yes, along way to go but we knew that. Geelong will pump us then we have the chance at 2 more wins straight after that against Brisbane and St.Kilda. We're a chance at 8-9 wins this year with wins against sides at our level, which is all, or even more than we could expect.

4 wins so far is about what I expected for the entire season so I'm more than happy, but it's vital that we get the draft right in the next two years.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #24

I think 8-9 wins is more than many on here predicted, yours truly included.
Thus far, I'm thrilled with the on field and off field progress the club's achieved (man.. this time last year, rd 23 couldn't come quick enough).

Slow and steady is the best recipe..... Ask the tortoise ;D
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #25
4 wins so far is about what I expected for the entire season so I'm more than happy, but it's vital that we get the draft right in the next two years.

Yes, most definitely!

Reply #26
Wow Gorringe. 7 HOs. Gibbs got 5 lol. Is Warnock busy? It would have been less embarrassing to go in without a Ruckman. Oh well, they are on top of the ladder so it was wishful thinking that we could beat them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
I think 8-9 wins is more than many on here predicted, yours truly included.
Thus far, I'm thrilled with the on field and off field progress the club's achieved (man.. this time last year, rd 23 couldn't come quick enough).

Slow and steady is the best recipe..... Ask the tortoise ;D

Yes, after round 4 I was worried if we'd break the duck. 8-9 is possible now although continued learning, development and improvement is the key at this point. Wins or strong performances against sides that are at our level is the best we can expect right now.

Reply #28
Wow Gorringe. 7 HOs. Gibbs got 5 lol. Is Warnock busy? It would have been less embarrassing to go in without a Ruckman. Oh well, they are on top of the ladder so it was wishful thinking that we could beat them.

Definitely picked the wrong ruckman.

Reply #29
First of all umpire Luke Farmer (#4) can go feck himself.....absolutely murdered us all night, whilst giving North a deadset armchair ride. His work was a substantial contribution to the result, have no doubts about it.

Docherty was absolutely huge all night.....in AA form right now. GUN.

Ciaran Byrne was also super-impressive. GUN.

Never a game we were gonna win......Tarrant had a field day without having to worry about Casboult. Didn't nullify Goldstein anywhere near well enough as I'm sure we'd planned to do....Gorringe was horribly slow to react in general play & didn't have a clue how to contest against a seasoned ruckman - Wood should've played for mine. Goldstein was the luckiest bloke on earth tonight, as were North in general.

67 points was an unfair result I felt, as I was not in the slightest bit angered/frustrated/disappointed in our application the entire game, but it was a game whereby we had to take any half-decent chance given to us in front of goal & we kinda failed miserably in that regard.

Walker is done & dusted......he's a trainwreck. Can't jump, can't kick, has no positive effect on our gameplay. Where Bolton has taken this team thus far & wants to keep progressing, means Walker & Jamison are very much yesterday's men, we can't carry these blokes anymore & they're being shown-up as glaring examples of what we used to be & don't want to be anymore. Both have been outstanding servants of the Club, but sadly, their time has come.

For those who were there, how pitiful is the 'Make Some Noise' nonsense they try to drum-up on the scoreboard after each goal......sad indictment on the lack of atmosphere at their home games & boy, was there a lack of atmosphere there tonight, it was woeful.

Some sloppy turnovers, a non-existent ruckman, not taking the chances we had in front of goal & one turd of an umpire cost us this game........last year this would've been an 80+ loss.
Football is life, there is nothing else....